• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Bonneville's hard-right turn done?

Does this mean we'll finally get the McMahon/Westmoreland/Ankarlo-era-type KTAR back now that our state's no longer the laughinstock of the country?

Maybe they can bring back their pre-Broomhead morning host & co-host.

AZ was never the laughingstock however the conspiracy theorists were.
Yes, correct. Point being, I don't see what Bonneville has to gain by continuing their charade for Ancient Modulation listeners. Bonneville wants 92.3 to be "red" (Broomhead red, Glenn Beck red, Ramsey red) when our state is turning "blue," if we're not already "blue." Do they have no desire to welcome back all their ex-listeners who have since fled to 91.5? That's a lot of money being left on the table.

Broomhead was whining today about the election...not even getting the fact that his terrible, awful ratings correlate to the current political environment. He was out of touch and not understanding how AZ could vote for democrats....Hey Mike, look at your ratings, look at KJZZ. Do we need to break it down into smaller words for you Mike?

Does this mean we'll finally get the McMahon/Westmoreland/Ankarlo-era-type KTAR back now
Probably not. There are very few moderates or liberals on commercial talk radio today, even in notably liberal markets like New York, Seattle and San Francisco (especially true in SF now that KGO is sports)

Yes, correct. Point being, I don't see what Bonneville has to gain by continuing their charade for Ancient Modulation listeners. Bonneville wants 92.3 to be "red" (Broomhead red, Glenn Beck red, Ramsey red) when our state is turning "blue," if we're not already "blue."
The margin of Red vs. Blue is a separation of about 1%. That is not "turning" anywhere. If it were radio ratings, it would be a tie.

If I ran a talk station, and knew that the history of progressive talk was a story of disaster and also knew that the centrist / moderate field was served by PBS, I'd redouble my efforts in the conservative area, knowing that "sore losers" make for long TSL.
Do they have no desire to welcome back all their ex-listeners who have since fled to 91.5? That's a lot of money being left on the table.
95.1 does not take any of the ad money. Sponsorships on non-coms generally are a different part of a business' budget.

The margin of Red vs. Blue is a separation of about 1%. That is not "turning" anywhere. If it were radio ratings, it would be a tie.

If I ran a talk station, and knew that the history of progressive talk was a story of disaster and also knew that the centrist / moderate field was served by PBS, I'd redouble my efforts in the conservative area, knowing that "sore losers" make for long TSL.

95.1 does not take any of the ad money. Sponsorships on non-coms generally are a different part of a business' budget.
Might as well ride that Trump train until it goes off the demographic cliff.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe the OP wants KTAR to return Broomhead's daypart to news coverage, rather than political talk.

I remember a time when KTAR was a Top 5 station in Phoenix. Now it's below KFYI.
But it is the top biller in the market.

The Maricopa County Recorders Office has run clean, efficient elections for decades. The flaw is in voters waiting until the last day to drop off their "mail" ballots (which require several levels of authentication and verification before being tabulated).
Which is why the two previous county recorders-Purcell and Fontes-were voted out of office.

Which is why the two previous county recorders-Purcell and Fontes-were voted out of office.
I don't know if Purcell and/or Fontes were canned or if Fontes just moved on to the Sec'ty of State office. But it would take the state legislature to change the current laws regarding how elections are held. The politico's could just put an earlier submit date on mail ballots and discard those missing that date and elections would be more efficient. My mail-in ballot was mailed the day after I received it in the mail. Seems like plenty of time for most people to do likewise.

Alternatively, the State could develop and use something less cumbersome than a person's signature to authenticate a mailed ballot.

Helen Purcell served in that office for seven terms---28 years. She was respected and well-regarded until one big screw-up.

Purcell, a Republican, hurt herself by reducing the number of polling places in the county from the 200 used in the 2012 election to 60 for the 2016 primary, and then blamed voters for long lines and delays before finally taking responsibility.

But that was too late. 100,000+ people signed petitions calling for a DOJ investigation into voter suppression, Mayor Stanton made a formal request of the DOJ, which initiated one and members of the Arizona House called for her resignation. Adrian Fontes, a Democrat, capitalized on all that and beat her in the general.

Had Purcell not severely restricted the number of polling places, there would have been no controversy and she likely would have won re-election yet again.

Fontes lost re-election in 2020 by fewer than 5,000 votes and gets the last laugh, beating Republican election denier Mark Finchem for Secretary of State in the 2022 general election held last week.

Fontes lost re-election in 2020 by fewer than 5,000 votes and gets the last laugh, beating Republican election denier Mark Finchem for Secretary of State in the 2022 general election held last week.
Unlike Purcell, he didn't screw up. Of course, Fontes had only one term in office compared to her decades. But the back door to the 9th floor will be shut by 2026 when Arizona gets a Lt Gov, instead of the Secretary of State being the go to official.

But back to the topic: I've sent Nurse Jeff out to the Buckeye CVS for the largest bottle of Tylenol they got....Bruce St John is on with Chad Benson today. It's a Battle of the Hyperactives on 92~Three!

Helen Purcell served in that office for seven terms---28 years. She was respected and well-regarded until one big screw-up.

Purcell, a Republican, hurt herself by reducing the number of polling places in the county from the 200 used in the 2012 election to 60 for the 2016 primary, and then blamed voters for long lines and delays before finally taking responsibility.

But that was too late. 100,000+ people signed petitions calling for a DOJ investigation into voter suppression, Mayor Stanton made a formal request of the DOJ, which initiated one and members of the Arizona House called for her resignation. Adrian Fontes, a Democrat, capitalized on all that and beat her in the general.

Had Purcell not severely restricted the number of polling places, there would have been no controversy and she likely would have won re-election yet again.

From what I remember of the 2016 map of polling places for the primary (which disappeared soon afterward), she put most of them in predominately Republican neighborhoods, and few in central, west, or south Phoenix. There were 3 within 5 miles of my house in NE Mesa, but none on the mostly-Hispanic west side of the city. I'm hoping that it was because more Republicans tended to vote in person than Democrats, and not a racial or language issue. Either way, it got her fired.

Back
Top Bottom