• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is anyone paying attention to WTMP-AM programming?

While driving into Tampa last Thursday, I was checking out WTMP-AM and noted that they played Build Me Up Buttercup - Foundations twice in a little over an hour...once in the 4:00 hour and once in the 5:00PM hour...doesn't sound like anyone is paying attention to the music scheduling...Since they no longer have any DJs, it's pretty boring programming...and with a .4 in Nielsen, wouldn't DJs on the air likely bring that number up somewhat? The 92.9 translator seemed to have pretty decent coverage. It went probably 15-20 miles down South on I-75 (South of Brandon). And along I-4, it had a decent signal almost to Plant City.

And any reason why the upper end is rolled off on WTMP-AM (like losing anything over 5000)? On a portable Sony AM stereo radio, even the Spanish stations and talk stations had more bandwidth than WTMP-AM.. Frequency response was fine on the translator at 92.9. Never was able to pull in the 102.1 translator. Is it even on the air? Or just nulls toward Tampa?

And virtually no spots on WTMP. Must need a check to be written each month to keep it on the air. With some tweaking, it could be a money-maker.

While driving into Tampa last Thursday, I was checking out WTMP-AM and noted that they played Build Me Up Buttercup - Foundations twice in a little over an hour...once in the 4:00 hour and once in the 5:00PM hour...doesn't sound like anyone is paying attention to the music scheduling...Since they no longer have any DJs, it's pretty boring programming...and with a .4 in Nielsen, wouldn't DJs on the air likely bring that number up somewhat? The 92.9 translator seemed to have pretty decent coverage. It went probably 15-20 miles down South on I-75 (South of Brandon). And along I-4, it had a decent signal almost to Plant City.

And any reason why the upper end is rolled off on WTMP-AM (like losing anything over 5000)? On a portable Sony AM stereo radio, even the Spanish stations and talk stations had more bandwidth than WTMP-AM.. Frequency response was fine on the translator at 92.9. Never was able to pull in the 102.1 translator. Is it even on the air? Or just nulls toward Tampa?

And virtually no spots on WTMP. Must need a check to be written each month to keep it on the air. With some tweaking, it could be a money-maker.
Did you notice any local advertising on the station, or were the breaks full of promos, PSAs, scammer ads and bulk-buy O'Reilly/Progressive spots? And do you think the expense of hiring live, on-air DJs would be outweighed by the additional advertising the change might bring in? Personality music radio is fading fast, especially in the money demos, and while a station that plays the Foundations might have listeners who are nostalgic not only for 55-year-old music but for the fast-talking, shtick-heavy DJs who used to play it back then, they're far too old for advertising agencies to care about.

For the 1+ hour I listened in the afternoon to WTMP there were only two spots run each hour - the same two. They both sounded more like PSAs than commercials but I expect they were both paid advertising - one was for getting out the vote (why would anyone be plugging that in April unless there is a special election (local) coming up soon "we'll give you a ride to vote if you can't get to the polls".

I heard one stop-set in AM drive (again no DJ but I understand that they had the Steve Harvey morning show running for 5 or 6 months but pulled it) and it was the same two "spots".

Yes, I think they'd be able to sell more advertising (if they even have a sales staff at all) if they had DJs on the air. Even voice-tracked would be better than what's on the air now.

Take a look at their website. It's one page with address, phone number, and a link to their streaming. Pretty pathetic.

I listen to them off and on in Lee county daytime. I can't put my finger on it but they have the sound ( audio frequency ) of many of the top forty stations of the 60's and 70's. Maybe what I'm remembering is top end roll off of the old days on the old car radios. Maybe they are using old processing too. I also noticed the jocks are gone which I miss. I do like the music selection.

I didn't have any problem with them playing the Foundations. My point was that no one was paying attention to the music scheduling so it played again about an hour later. So unless Build Me Up Buttercup is in the power rotation that plays every 60 minutes, no one is paying attention to the music scheduling.

The radio in the rental Camry made WTMP-AM sound really bad. No high end at all. Pretty muffled sounding. Car radios back in the 60's and 70's had better AM sections than those today. So WTMP most likely sounded much better back in the 60's on a car radio.

When I tuned them in on my Sony AM wide-band stereo portable it still sounded very rolled off on the high end. Most of the other AM stations didn't. Even the talk stations & Spanish stations had better fidelity than WTMP. Audio sounded fine on the 92.9 translator.

WTMP sounds horrible in HD AM. The analog, while not great, is far better.

It is a nice format, but very few commercials. They can't be doing well.

102.1 is on the air. From the signal strength in my area it sounds as if it's finally broadcasting from the tower on Starkey Road. Serious null towards the East. Very little imaging and I agree... literally no paid advertising at all. Sounds like playlist set on random with no actual scheduling. If this station and format was given just a little direction, it could be sold by a team that understands where the signals are and who the format is directed towards.

I could listen to WTMP here in West Pasco, NPR area on the car radio (AM) and did for years. I would listen often in the morning when they had Terry "Motormouth" for awhile. At some point not sure exactly when they no longer really reach here.

Their website has been like that for years btw.

Advertisers don't care if the station is live or automated. People are willing to fork over cash to hear music without commercials and DJs more and more. It sounds to me the station is losing money, so why would somebody spend way more money to hire air talent? The fact is they might not have the cash to spend. Just be happy there's somebody playing these songs. Their days are numbered.
You might be able to sell enough local advertising s a small market but not so in a major market. I know. I managed an AM in the #6 market.

It appears, at least on the surface to be a passion project or one that carries someones ego. Upgrading(?) an AM to HD in recent years and having tentacles out with multiple translators is very ambitious and expensive. From engineering studies, to dealing with tower companies and leases to equipment orders, if you're not generating revenue then where is the money coming from and why? Oh and studio rent and royalties too. It pains me to say this but now-a-days with what I hear on the radio more times than not, automated is preferred. Reading liners and having nothing to say or offer is prevalent across most of the industry and so if playing "the most music" is the vision moving forward, as "b-turner" noted, be grateful a unique station like this exists. If we're not hearing ads then the funds must be coming from somewhere else...

Advertisers don't care if the station is live or automated. People are willing to fork over cash to hear music without commercials and DJs more and more. It sounds to me the station is losing money, so why would somebody spend way more money to hire air talent? The fact is they might not have the cash to spend. Just be happy there's somebody playing these songs. Their days are numbered.
You might be able to sell enough local advertising s a small market but not so in a major market. I know. I managed an AM in the #6 market.
They had air talent like Al Gee and Terry Young plus a couple other veterans on R&B pop radio . They are all gone now.

Back
Top Bottom