• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

INXS, "Need You Tonight"/"Mediate"

This may well be the only example (that I can think of, anyway) of a music video to a song that got heavy radio airplay back in its day ("Need You Tonight") also segued into the next song on the album ("Mediate") that did not get much airplay, and even then, it was usually limited to AOR and AAA stations. They were a medley on the album (Kick), and "Mediate" was never really considered a standalone track.

Very unusual to promote two songs in a music video, while only releasing one of them as a single to radio for airplay.

Live concert music videos may have done this, but this is the only example that I can think of, when a concept video did this. Highly unusual.

There's also Chicago's "Hard To Say I'm Sorry/Get Away". Many stations would only play "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" and fade out before "Get Away" would kick in..

Funny, I just heard "Get Away" last week for the very first time. Of course I'd heard "Hard to say I'm Sorry" a bajillion times, but then at the end there was this weird part, and I had no idea what it was.

I don’t remember exactly but did the video for the Alan Parson Project “Eye in the Sky” also include the musical into known as “Sirius”? Back in the day some stations would play both as part of the song.

Another one.... Boston's "Cantcha Say / Still In Love"

R

Also noticing that Jack-FM here in Nashville is playing "What You Need" by INXS with the false start edited off the beginning. While I might play it that way at a party or at a club, I believe that it should be played with the false start(s) left intact when played on the radio.

See also: "Brain Stew" and "Jaded" by Green Day, which follow each other on the album.

Speaking of Green Day: Does the sustained guitar fadeout that coincides with the start of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" count?

I never heard Mediate on the radio until this spring. A French Language radio station played "I Need You Tonight/Mediate in it's entirety during afternoon drive. I often wished that radio would have left that in. I liked it a lot better than Need You Tonight.

I never heard Mediate on the radio until this spring. A French Language radio station played "I Need You Tonight/Mediate in it's entirety during afternoon drive. I often wished that radio would have left that in. I liked it a lot better than Need You Tonight.
Yes, in retrospect, I believe that INXS could have had a "double-hit" with that one (two?) similar to the way that Queen did with "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions." I won't say "double-sided hit," as had been the case with the Queen single, because unlike that one, I don't know whether the two INXS tracks were back-to-back on the same single. (I never had the single.) I seem to recall that the transition to cassette singles was going on by then, circa 1987-1988.

In 1978, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions were on opposite sides of the 45. Nowadays, they are played together.

Usually. My Westwood One America's Best Music affiliate had just the second one on its morning show, but there was no championship to celebrate. The team was only in the playoffs. I don't get why the station manager/morning DJ didn't understand what station he had been running for nine years.

I haven't heard either song since the station switched to Good Time Oldies, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

I noticed 105.7 Man Up played "You Really Got Me' without "Eruption" preceding it. I guess active rockers don't play a lot of really long songs.

They segue into each other on the Kick LP, I'm pretty sure Mediate isn't on the flip side of the stock 45. Gotta pull it out to confirm. As for the Queen "We Will Rock You", it was the B side on the stock 45 and was segued together on a AOR promotional 12". Both "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" were serviced on separate promo 45's

Dick Clark's 21 All-Time Hits Vol. 3 has the Queen songs segued.

Plus, it's on a TM GoldDisc segued too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom