• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Interesting Gold heard today on Channel 933

This afternoon, somewhere around 4:30 or 5, I happened to have Channel 933 on, and they played "This Love" by Maroon 5. Hearing it on a station like Star, or KyXy, I would never have batted an eye, but what threw me off is that it was Channel 933, a current-based CHR. A quick check with Google (I thought maybe the song was ten or twelve years old) confirmed that the song was released on June 25, 2002, TWENTY years and five days ago. It was actually a hit in 2004, eighteen years ago. When I worked for a CHR station in the 80s, it was not out of the ordinary to play songs that were ten to fifteen years old. We even played some twenty year old Beatles tracks, but by the time I left the station in 1989, nearly four years later, I think the oldest song on the playlist was about five years old. Today, most CHRs rarely play anything more than two or three years old.

So it struck me as odd that Channel 933 has a twenty year old song in rotation, especially because it's an iHeart station, so probably heavily programmed to match their CHR programming philosophy. There was nothing the jock said before or after that made the song stand out. I thought maybe they would call attention to the song being twenty years old this week, but no. The station played the song, moved on to the next song with just the regular jock talk promoting whatever, no ties to Maroon 5 mentioned or the song. I had read somewhere that KIIS sometimes pulls out some 90s tracks in midday, so maybe this is not really unusual. Just made me take notice.

Contemporary country stations routinely play gold that's 30 or even 40 years old if it's compatible with today's country sound or is by an artist whose career was lengthy enough to have extended well into this millennium, even if they're not having hits today or have retired from performing -- George Strait's "Amarillo By Morning," for example, from 1983, or Reba McEntire's "Fancy," from 1990.
Same goes for CHR, I would expect.

Last edited:
This afternoon, somewhere around 4:30 or 5, I happened to have Channel 933 on, and they played "This Love" by Maroon 5. Hearing it on a station like Star, or KyXy, I would never have batted an eye, but what threw me off is that it was Channel 933, a current-based CHR. A quick check with Google (I thought maybe the song was ten or twelve years old) confirmed that the song was released on June 25, 2002, TWENTY years and five days ago. It was actually a hit in 2004, eighteen years ago. When I worked for a CHR station in the 80s, it was not out of the ordinary to play songs that were ten to fifteen years old. We even played some twenty year old Beatles tracks, but by the time I left the station in 1989, nearly four years later, I think the oldest song on the playlist was about five years old. Today, most CHRs rarely play anything more than two or three years old.

So it struck me as odd that Channel 933 has a twenty year old song in rotation, especially because it's an iHeart station, so probably heavily programmed to match their CHR programming philosophy. There was nothing the jock said before or after that made the song stand out. I thought maybe they would call attention to the song being twenty years old this week, but no. The station played the song, moved on to the next song with just the regular jock talk promoting whatever, no ties to Maroon 5 mentioned or the song. I had read somewhere that KIIS sometimes pulls out some 90s tracks in midday, so maybe this is not really unusual. Just made me take notice.
They do play that song on KIIS too.

It’s a big hit from the early 2000s, I’m not surprised. Not to mention their 18-34 demo grew up with that song playing everywhere (speaking from my own experience), they’re achieving some nostalgia.

It’s interesting how…

In 2002, Neither KIIS nor most major market CHR stations, would be playing a song from 1984.

KOST in LA, sprinkles songs from the late 70s to early 80s, but 20 years ago they wouldn’t play the 60s.

Radio listeners overall are getting older

So it struck me as odd that Channel 933 has a twenty year old song in rotation, especially because it's an iHeart station, so probably heavily programmed to match their CHR programming philosophy.

We've been seeing some 20 year old songs on Z-100 too. Plus someone noted that they're not playing currents as frequently as other iHeart CHRs. It's not hurting their 18-34 demos. There's an article someone posted a few months ago (It may have been a Ross On Radio) that suggested than when the currents are not that good, you're better off not playing them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom