• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Indies picking up network shows

Over the years independent stations picked up certain network shows when the actual network station didn't pick it up. Facebook group with reprints of TV
Guide listings showed a Sat night in Feb of 1972. Boston indie Ch 38 picked up CBS News when CBS ch 5 had something else on.
Later, CBS All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore were not carried by 5, but no
indie picked them up. Ch 5 was running a movie.

More recently CBS has been on ch 4 with myTV/indie 38 as sister station. 4 might
pre empt The Price is Right during breaking news coverage but 38 runs it.

I recalled Welcome Back Kotter didn't air at first on ABC ch 5, but an indie picked it up. I said it was Ch 38; a friend thought it was 56.Boston dealing with forced busing and a sitcom about a city high school was too
controversial?
The orig Gong Show might not have been carried by NBC Ch 4 so I think ch 38 ran it.

(Would have given call letters but wanted to keep it to channel numbers).
At one point 2 NBC shows were declined by Ch 4: David Letterman and SCTV. They ran Hawaii Five O reruns instead. No indie ran it. SCTV's Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis appeared as SCTV's Bob and Doug Mackenzie on WBCN radio. Yes you could see show on Prov Ch 10, but someone called it to say the local Boston station wouldn't run them.Asked to define
"hoser" or "hosehead", the guys said, "that guy in Boston that won't run us is a hoser!"

KCPQ-13 Seattle/Tacoma often aired KIRO or KING's daytime game shows from CBS/NBC because ch 7 and 5 would air syndicated programming in the 9:00 hour (or later). This included daytime Family Feud, daytime Wheel, Classic Concentration, and Sale of the Century. They also aired the NBC soap 'Texas' for a while in 1982 as KING preempted it.

In the '70s, KSTW-11 also aired preempted daytime game shows...specifically The Joker's Wild and Gambit from CBS as KIRO preempted those shows.

In 1989-90, Kansas City's KZKC, channel 62, would air NBC network programs when affiliate WDAF-TV (channel 4) was carrying Royals baseball.

This was the same station that was given a NOAL in 1988 for showing a movie, Private Lessons, that had full frontal nudity, though the FCC waived the fine the next year.

Over the years independent stations picked up certain network shows when the actual network station didn't pick it up. Facebook group with reprints of TV
Guide listings showed a Sat night in Feb of 1972. Boston indie Ch 38 picked up CBS News when CBS ch 5 had something else on.
Later, CBS All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore were not carried by 5, but no
indie picked them up. Ch 5 was running a movie.

More recently CBS has been on ch 4 with myTV/indie 38 as sister station. 4 might
pre empt The Price is Right during breaking news coverage but 38 runs it.

I recalled Welcome Back Kotter didn't air at first on ABC ch 5, but an indie picked it up. I said it was Ch 38; a friend thought it was 56.Boston dealing with forced busing and a sitcom about a city high school was too
controversial?
The orig Gong Show might not have been carried by NBC Ch 4 so I think ch 38 ran it.

(Would have given call letters but wanted to keep it to channel numbers).
At one point 2 NBC shows were declined by Ch 4: David Letterman and SCTV. They ran Hawaii Five O reruns instead. No indie ran it. SCTV's Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis appeared as SCTV's Bob and Doug Mackenzie on WBCN radio. Yes you could see show on Prov Ch 10, but someone called it to say the local Boston station wouldn't run them.Asked to define
"hoser" or "hosehead", the guys said, "that guy in Boston that won't run us is a hoser!"
I don't recall having seen that channel 5 pre-empted Welcome Back, Kotter in first run so I don't recall which independent may have aired it instead. However, channel 56 aired it reruns in the late 70s and well into the 80s.

Channel 38 did run the Gong Show when channel 4 passed it up on NBC daytime. I have seen that in TV Guides from the 70s.

Channel 4 stopped carrying Another World circa 1980 and, from that point on, it aired on three different independents at various times: 27, 62 and 68. After the affiliation switch in 1995, channel 7 carried the full NBC daytime lineup including Another World.

In the early 80's when it was independent WPTY 24 in Memphis (Now WATN ABC) carried the CBS Late Movie because it wasn't carried by WREG CBS 3.

With how notorious WMC NBC 5 in Memphis was for pre-empting most of NBC's daytime schedule WPTY or WMKW 30 (Now WLMT CW) could have made a decent daytime line-up.

I remember in Philadelphia back in the 70's that NBC and ABC shows that weren't carried on those stations were picked up on one of the independent stations at the time

In 1989-90, Kansas City's KZKC, channel 62, would air NBC network programs when affiliate WDAF-TV (channel 4) was carrying Royals baseball.

This was the same station that was given a NOAL in 1988 for showing a movie, Private Lessons, that had full frontal nudity, though the FCC waived the fine the next year.
I think that KBMA-TV\KSHB-TV, Ch. 41 also aired some preempted ABC, NBC & possibly CBS shows as well.

ABC had some major affiliate preemption problems with "NYPD Blue" when it first came on the air in 1993. In Dallas-Fort Worth, ABC affiliate WFAA-TV initially preempted it and it ran for a while on independent KTXA-TV, channel 21. I'm guessing it also ended up on independent stations in some other markets for the same reason.

But eventually the ABC affiliates did clear it, and by the second season "NYPD Blue" was airing on WFAA-TV.

ABC had some major affiliate preemption problems with "NYPD Blue" when it first came on the air in 1993. In Dallas-Fort Worth, ABC affiliate WFAA-TV initially preempted it and it ran for a while on independent KTXA-TV, channel 21. I'm guessing it also ended up on independent stations in some other markets for the same reason.

But eventually the ABC affiliates did clear it, and by the second season "NYPD Blue" was airing on WFAA-TV.
According to Wikipedia, WLOX-TV, Ch. 13 in Biloxi, MS, never aired a single episode of NYPD Blue & instead aired reruns of Home Improvement & other sitcoms in its place.

Fox affiliate WXXV-TV, Ch. 25, also in Biloxi, MS, picked up NYPD Blue, starting with the shows 2nd season & aired it until the show ended in 2005.

How about a radio station picking up a network TV show that the local affiliate refused? Joan Rivers talk show was the first show on Fox. In Boston Pat Robertson owned WXNE TV 25. It was in the process of being sold to Fox. They wouldn't run Rivers so local station WMRE AM 1510 carried audio instead.

Wiki:"The outgoing CBN ownership believed that the program did not fit its strict content guidelines." (WFXT TV entry)

In the Lexington Ky market, WDKY, FOX 56, carried the first season of NYPD Blue. Since FOX primetime ran from 8-10 PM, it was a perfect fit, with a 10PM airtime. ABC affiliate WTVQ, picked it from the second season forward.

Over in Louisville, WHAS 11 preempted Blue for the same reason. Indie/UPN WFTE 58 picked it as well, for the first season.

Did network O&O station ever preempt network programing? I grew up in Chicago which is all network O&O and don't recall any indie ever running a network show.

When I was at WHLL 27 in the early 90's we took some NBC programming one year, and ABC another. We tape-delayed Days Of Our Lives by one day. We also recorded a noon feed of Golden Girls & 227 that aired the next morning at 10. Also some occasional sporting events on weekends. IIRC we also picked up George Michael's Sports Machine that aired late Sunday nights. For ABC we aired a live feed of Growing Pains and Perfect Strangers at noon. We also picked up some weekend programming. I recall "Mission Impossible" in prime time and a few sporting events.

When I was at WHLL 27 in the early 90's we took some NBC programming one year, and ABC another. We tape-delayed Days Of Our Lives by one day. We also recorded a noon feed of Golden Girls & 227 that aired the next morning at 10. Also some occasional sporting events on weekends. IIRC we also picked up George Michael's Sports Machine that aired late Sunday nights. For ABC we aired a live feed of Growing Pains and Perfect Strangers at noon. We also picked up some weekend programming. I recall "Mission Impossible" in prime time and a few sporting events.
WBZ-TV always aired "Days of Our Lives." It stopped airing "Another World" around 1980 or so. That program aired on WQTV, WHLL and WMFP over the years, so I think you're probably thinking of that. When WHDH became the NBC affiliate in 1995, "Another World" returned to NBC in Boston.

WBZ-TV always aired "Days of Our Lives." It stopped airing "Another World" around 1980 or so. That program aired on WQTV, WHLL and WMFP over the years, so I think you're probably thinking of that. When WHDH became the NBC affiliate in 1995, "Another World" returned to NBC in Boston.
I was one of the WHLL ops that recorded Days and played it back a day later. We did air Another World for a short time. That was during the awkward time WBZ was trying figure out what to do with their local talk show “People Are Talking”. However, I can assure you Days 100% aired on WHLL for a time because I was there! I recorded, QC’d, and played back the tape. No question about it.

This is the intro to the aforementioned show I recorded and played back a day later.

Last edited:
Cincinnati was full of preemptions, but I don't remember an indie ever picking up preempted shows.

WLWT once preempted 'The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air' with an infomercial for McAlpin's department stores, and no indie picked it up.

In Milwaukee, WXIX/WUHF/WVTV had a history of carrying shows that WTMJ, WITI, and WISN did not clear from 1961 to 1988. Likewise with WCGV from 1981 to 1994 when WTMJ and WITI passed on NBC and CBS shows.

Back
Top Bottom