• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeartRadio’s Cool Oldies

Just wondering if anyone else likes iHeart’s Cool Oldies channel? I’m not quite sure of its origins, but it’s pretty well put together with jingles, liners, DJ’s, etc. They do carry Martha Quinn which Big Classic Hits does as well, but Cool Oldies is a bit older leaning and plays more 70s and even a few 60s songs on occasion than BCH. They do play largely the same 80s stuff as BCH.

Is this a Premium Choice format? Or what exactly is it? Reminds me of classic hits stations 10 years ago or so. I like it.

Last I knew, Cool Oldies skews a little younger than companion The Real Oldies Channel, of which I was a regular listener while it was programmed by Dan Allen, who originated the format on WSAI (before and now WCKY) which at that time, was mostly 1955-1965.

Ahh, so it does air on some terrestrial stations. I figured it was some kind of premium choice format since it has DJ’s.

I find the use of the word “oldies” a bit odd since its so taboo to radio companies and advertising agencies. I know this is just a name for a streaming station, but still a bit surprised iH would use it for 70s/80s. Most of the 60s tracks they’re still playing are pretty predictable - “(Sittin On) The Dock of The Bay”, “Respect”, “Daydream Believer”, “Hello Goodbye”, “Respect”, “Twist and Shout” and a few others.

Real Oldies is a premium choice format with jocks too. Typical 1964-1979 playlist a lot of stations ran in the mid 2000s with a few 80s and pre-1964 tracks.

Ahh, so it does air on some terrestrial stations. I figured it was some kind of premium choice format since it has DJ’s.

I find the use of the word “oldies” a bit odd since its so taboo to radio companies and advertising agencies. I know this is just a name for a streaming station, but still a bit surprised iH would use it for 70s/80s. Most of the 60s tracks they’re still playing are pretty predictable - “(Sittin On) The Dock of The Bay”, “Respect”, “Daydream Believer”, “Hello Goodbye”, “Respect”, “Twist and Shout” and a few others.

Real Oldies is a premium choice format with jocks too. Typical 1964-1979 playlist a lot of stations ran in the mid 2000s with a few 80s and pre-1964 tracks.
Premium Choice formats have DJs. ReaOldies also has DJs

Three "Cool FM" stations (WFYX and two translators) here in the Upper Valley (eastern VT/western NH) identify as "Cool Oldies" but have in-house jocks for mornings and a one-hour "Vinyl Vault" oh-wow-type show at 4 p.m. Otherwise, it's jockless and limited to '60s and '70s. I'm assuming this is a strictly local operation using the "Cool" tags without any ties to the syndicated format, since titles I've heard recently include Aretha Franklin's "Daydreaming," the Guess Who's "Share the Land," Paul Anka's "(You're) Having My Baby" and the Highwaymen's "Michael," none of which I'd imagine make the cut on nationally distributed playlists. Have a listen.

Last edited:
Three "Cool FM" stations (WFYX and two translators) here in the Upper Valley (eastern VT/western NH) identify as "Cool Oldies" but have in-house jocks for mornings and a one-hour "Vinyl Vault" oh-wow-type show at 4 p.m. Otherwise, it's jockless and limited to '60s and '70s. I'm assuming this is a strictly local operation using the "Cool" tags without any ties to the syndicated format, since titles I've heard recently include Aretha Franklin's "Daydreaming," the Guess Who's "Share the Land," Paul Anka's "(You're) Having My Baby" and the Highwaymen's "Michael," none of which I'd imagine make the cut on nationally distributed playlists. Have a listen.

Cool Oldies isnt syndicated per se, its an iheart format and WFYX isnt owned by iheart... and im guessing iheart didnty trademark the cool oldies name then

Cool Oldies isnt syndicated per se, its an iheart format and WFYX isnt owned by iheart... and im guessing iheart didnty trademark the cool oldies name then
I doubt iHeart would be "cool" with playing the uncut version of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side," which just played!

The convenience store where I got breakfast in the mountains had iHeart Big Classic Hits. Did I get the name right?

A lot of familiar songs from the 70s and 80s but I was surprised to hear AC/DC.

I find the use of the word “oldies” a bit odd since its so taboo to radio companies andorma advertising agencies. I know this is just a name for a streaming station, but still a bit surprised iH would use it for 70s/80s. Most of the 60s tracks they’re still playing are pretty predictable - “(Sittin On) The Dock of The Bay”, “Respect”, “Daydream Believer”, “Hello Goodbye”, “Respect”, “Twist and Shout” and a few others.

I wouldn't say a lot. It was on a couple of terrestrials in the 2010s. An adjustment of the format was placed on WRLL-1690, Chicago, with a touch of Big Babs

I wouldn't say a lot. It was on a couple of terrestrials in the 2010s. An adjustment of the format was placed on WRLL-1690, Chicago, with a touch of Big Babs
My bad, I was referring to the “greatest hits of the 60s and 70s” 1964-1979 formula most oldies stations used from around 2000-2005. ~1968-1975 core with 1975-1979 being mainly disco or lighter hits and earlier-mid 60s material being primarily staples like the Stones, Beatles, Supremes, Beach Boys, etc.

Nothing special about it. Everyday stuff we hear all over. It's good that some 60s tracks are being played though. Can never ignore the sixties, huh?
The playlist might go from 1964-1989. Anything below 1964 could be played sporadically even though it would sound out of place/turn off listeners. But I calculate a majority of the songs to be mid/later 60’s alongside the 70’s and 80’s.

KCOL FM, Cool 92.5 carries Martha and others. I was wondering whether it was a network format or they were actually paying Martha and the others to voice track this one station. Now I know...
Didn't sound bad but there's no localism..

A pig dressed in a suit is still a pig

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom