• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

If your station was given dance music promos....

Would your station play it? I'm basically "testing the waters" here to push dance music further into the masses. Since most commercial radio doesn't play it, I'm wondering if colleges would give it a shot.

Basically the dance music I'm talking about is similar to Sirius XM's satellite radio's "BPM". I'm trying to work on a project where perhaps dance artists would send college stations promotional material to air and get feedback on. Who knows, perhaps dance could be such a buzz on campus that if a college radio outlet follows a format, perhaps dance would be considered.

If interested, hit my MySpace up or contact me at [email protected]

Thank you

Almost every college station I work with regularly WILL accept dance product of all types for airplay. Most of the major domestic dance players already service CMJ-reporting stations.

However, I've noticed that most of the stations will lump it in with the rest of the "RPM" musical family, so depending on how music is directed at a particular station, you'll either hear Cascada next to Autechre, or you'll just hear Autechre. When I was actually doing a show as a student 5 years ago, our weekday programming was mostly rotation indie electronic, glitch and "avant-garde," and I got scoffed at by the rest of the staff for playing Benassi in my Friday slot.

A few of my stations have actually cut back their "RPM" slots to weekend slots only, which is great programming (give the college kids something to bump to on the way to frat parties or bars/clubs) but sucks for staffing (most of the kids that are really into it are trying to play out on a Saturday, not be in a booth by themselves). Some of the Urban-leaning weekly shows, especially at the stations with fewer programming restrictions, have hosts that will toss some of the popular electronic product in, but again it kind of depends on your music direction and your hosts.

I guess what I'm saying is that "it depends." Don't let that stop ya though, Tony! :)

Oh no...no stopping me! :D

If anything, I will be on the panel at the IBS National Radio Conference regarding dance music, tentatively titled "Dance Music...When Can Commercial Be Non-Commercial". On my coalition MySpace, I am asking for artists to submit material to me along with contact info. I will then pass out music (either in CD form or as mp3s on a CD, whatever the preference) to those attending this discussion.

Dance music, as we see it, has to gain more ground here. As it is, there are only 6 radio stations in the US with a dance format, 3 of them non-comms. With the bade economy and "corporate" doing layoffs, the only way dance music may have a chance is through the non-comms. And we will be more than happy to assist in any way!

My college station (90.3 The Core WVPH-FM Piscataway, NJ) has a couple dance music shows on Friday nights, mine included. We get quite a few listeners as our signal gets strong as soon as Pulse 87 gets weak. I would welcome dance music promos. If you're in the Central NJ area, check us out on 90.3 FM, or online at www.thecore.fm

Okay, here's the deal

I will be at the IBS Radio Convention at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City on March 6th at 5PM in a panel discussion entitled "Dance Music...when Commercial Is NON Commercial". Some of the biggest names in the dance music industry will be there including Chris The Greek and Lucas Prata, just to name a few.

I will distribute material that artists have sent me for anyone to consider giving airplay to. One will be a music CD form, the other will be in mp3 form. We really want to get that push going for more college/high school/non-commercial outlets to give dance music some play!

We have dedicated our Friday and Saturday nights to dance/trance/techno music with several free syndicated shows. We have had a lot of interest shown in this as an alternative to commercial radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom