• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

If Infinity has its way with The Wave...

Expect a Jack flip any moment soon. Sources are pointing out Radio One will flip struggling KROI from Mexican to Smooth Jazz. Its station in Atlanta (WJZZ)happens to be one of the most listened-to workday music stations in that city. KROI has been clobbered by its biggest competitors, especially Univision & Liberman, whose stations generally targets Hispanic markets, like Houston. KROI-Also Known As La Mera Mera might throw in the towel to La Raza & Estereo Latino any moment soon.

> Expect a Jack flip any moment soon. Sources are pointing out
> Radio One will flip struggling KROI from Mexican to Smooth
> Jazz. Its station in Atlanta (WJZZ)happens to be one of the
> most listened-to workday music stations in that city. KROI
> has been clobbered by its biggest competitors, especially
> Univision & Liberman, whose stations generally targets
> Hispanic markets, like Houston. KROI-Also Known As La Mera
> Mera might throw in the towel to La Raza & Estereo Latino
> any moment soon.
>

Let me underscore Chuck Tiller's point below:

Nobody makes any decisions based on the 12+ numbers that you read in Radio and Records.

Management looks at billing, profit margin, and demo breakouts.

12+ numbers aren't that useful. That's why Arbitron lets newspapers publish them. If you want numbers that are worth making decisions on, you have to buy them from Arbitron. The 12+ numbers are the statistical equivalent of "the first one's free".<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

> Expect a Jack flip any moment soon. Sources are pointing out
> Radio One will flip struggling KROI from Mexican to Smooth
> Jazz.

The Wave isn't going anywhere. The Smooth Jazz format is apparently doing well with all the upscale urban professional demos it targets. A "Jack" format would be a step down in income appeal for advertisers.

While a flip of KROI is highly likely, it won't be to Smooth Jazz. Only room for one of that format in this market. And I still think we won't see any flip of KROI until mid-2006 at the earliest. La Mera Mera is showing slow upward movement, so Radio One will probably give it more time to find its audience. 92.1 might not be a bad place for a Jack or Bob format, but I'm not holding my breath. They probably should have stuck with the 90's and more stunt they initially programmed.

> > Expect a Jack flip any moment soon. Sources are pointing
> out
> > Radio One will flip struggling KROI from Mexican to Smooth
>
> > Jazz. Its station in Atlanta (WJZZ)happens to be one of
> the
> > most listened-to workday music stations in that city. KROI
>
> > has been clobbered by its biggest competitors, especially
> > Univision & Liberman, whose stations generally targets
> > Hispanic markets, like Houston. KROI-Also Known As La Mera
>
> > Mera might throw in the towel to La Raza & Estereo Latino
> > any moment soon.
> >
>
>

Who are these sources? I agree with John & Chuck. If you listen to KHJZ, they're not having any revenue problems. The major advertising climate seems brisk there. Don't look for Infinity to try it here soon. They did it in Dallas, because the station was struggling BAD. My guess is they did it in New York & Chicago to gauge a response to see how it would be accepted in two of the top 3 markets, as far as listeners and advertisers go. I think Infinity will wait and see how WJMK & WCBS do over an extended period of time to see what the response is in those markets. Is KHJZ's 12+ share great? No, but it's far from being terrible and it's a whole hell of a lot better than what KIKK was pulling there over the last few years that they occupied that frequency. I think Infinity is pleased with The Wave.

Also, Radio One has given no indication here that they are about to give up trying to find an audience for KROI. I've seen quite a few billboards all over the city, not to mention, I have seen their van or vans out and about at several locations. I don't see a flip anytime soon, especially since Radio One is doing fantastic with their other two stations. They can afford to play the waiting game with KROI.

The station that is the closest thing to "Jack" is 106.9 The Point. Their playlist continues to broaden. I think that is where the "Jack" audience is going to have to get their fix for right now, because I just don't see any Infinity or anyone else going there right now. Of course, I didn't see WCBS changing either, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it. <P ID="signature">______________
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long After The Sweetness of Low Price Is Long Forgotten.</P>

> If you
> listen to KHJZ, they're not having any revenue problems.
> The major advertising climate seems brisk there. Don't look
> for Infinity to try it here soon. They did it in Dallas,
> because the station was struggling BAD. My guess is they
> did it in New York & Chicago to gauge a response to see how
> it would be accepted in two of the top 3 markets, as far as
> listeners and advertisers go. I think Infinity will wait
> and see how WJMK & WCBS do over an extended period of time
> to see what the response is in those markets. Is KHJZ's 12+
> share great? No, but it's far from being terrible and it's
> a whole hell of a lot better than what KIKK was pulling
> there over the last few years that they occupied that
> frequency. I think Infinity is pleased with The Wave.
>
>> The station that is the closest thing to "Jack" is 106.9 The
> Point. Their playlist continues to broaden. I think that
> is where the "Jack" audience is going to have to get their
> fix for right now, because I just don't see any Infinity or
> anyone else going there right now. Of course, I didn't see
> WCBS changing either, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
>
You've left out Los Angeles, which also has a "Jack" station on KCBS-FM, Where it used to be known as Classic Rock-Arrow 93.1 Classic rockers can now go to ABC O&O KLOS(95-5) for their fix of that Old Time Rock'N Roll. The Point(KHPT)however on the other hand, has broadend its music library BEYOND the '80s. They've added some '70s and '90s-But nothing current.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TroyG on 07/27/05 11:56 PM.</FONT></P>

> My guess is they
> did it in New York & Chicago to gauge a response to see how
> it would be accepted in two of the top 3 markets, as far as
> listeners and advertisers go.

CBS is trying to move their oldies stations out of greying demos.

Sometimes it's easier to do it with heavy explosives.<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

> > My guess is they did it in New York & Chicago
> > to gauge a response to see how it would be
> > accepted in two of the top 3 markets, as far
> > as listeners and advertisers go.
>
> CBS is trying to move their oldies stations out
> of greying demos.
>

Is that not the same demo as the Wave?

> > Is that not the same demo as the Wave?
>
> No.
>

A 'not' and a 'No' equal a yes?

> To clarify, No. It is not the same demo.
>

Thanks! I was starting to confuse myself - which isn't hard to do. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom