• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I think this is a first

So the IFT authorized a boatload of new noncommercial (social) stations this month, and we have their callsigns. One of them is something I don't think I've ever seen!

They awarded a station on 88.1 to an applicant known as Ñucuaha, A.C., at Chalcatongo de Hidalgo, Oaxaca.

They gave them the callsign XHÑUC-FM. Not XHNUC-FM (which is also a station, totally unrelated).

Can anyone recall seeing an Ñ in an official callsign? Ever? Or anything like it? I mean, it is a separate letter in Spanish, but...

So the IFT authorized a boatload of new noncommercial (social) stations this month, and we have their callsigns. One of them is something I don't think I've ever seen!

They awarded a station on 88.1 to an applicant known as Ñucuaha, A.C., at Chalcatongo de Hidalgo, Oaxaca.

They gave them the callsign XHÑUC-FM. Not XHNUC-FM (which is also a station, totally unrelated).

Can anyone recall seeing an Ñ in an official callsign? Ever? Or anything like it? I mean, it is a separate letter in Spanish, but...

I don't recall an ñ in any station's call letters anywhere in Latin America in the last 50 years!

If you say the letter "Ñ" out loud in Spanish, is it different than how the letter "N" is said?

Sent from Cañon City CO, named after a canyon, not a camera brand.

I suppose people unfamiliar with the Western alphabet wonder how Q is different than O. That little line sticking out of the bottom of an O changes it to another letter? So I guess adding a ~ to an N makes it a different letter as well.

I also noticed from that list that there are several new stations getting six-letter call signs. I know Mexico had some five letter call signs, such as XETRA. And Canada gives out some five-letter call signs to CBC stations to indicate whether they are English or French, or are secondary stations getting most of their programming from a big city CBC station. But that's only for CBC stations. Privately owned stations are all four call letters.

Of course, since all Mexican AM stations begin with an XE and all FM and TV stations begin with an XH (unless they carry the same call letters as their co-owned AM sister station, which would be XE....-FM or XE.....-TV), that does limit the number of available call signs.

But still, if you count XE and XH, and figure the number of three, four and five letter call signs, that's 36,456 possible combinations. 52 three letter call signs, 1252 four letter call signs and 35,153 five letter call signs = 36,456 possible combinations, minus anything that spells out a dirty word. (Remember how KKHJ Los Angeles got the FCC to give the station its old three letter call sign KHJ, claiming a double K is a nasty word in Spanish?)

Of course, if you say the Spanish alphabet has 27 letters, by including Ñ, then the number of possible combinations goes up again.

Last edited:
Of course, if you say the Spanish alphabet has 27 letters, by including Ñ, then the number of possible combinations goes up again.

The traditional Spanish alphabet has no K or W, but has Ch, Ll, Ñ and Rr as separate letters.

Recent (in the last 50 years) decisions by the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language have permitted the use of words with W and K, and reduced the guidances about Ch, Ll and Rr. Now, for example, in most places words beginning with "Ch" are sorted in the order of Cg, Ch, Ci rather than Cz, Ch.

(Remember how KKHJ Los Angeles got the FCC to give the station its old three letter call sign KHJ, claiming a double K is a nasty word in Spanish?)

That, of course, was an end play on the FCC. KKHJ never pronounced the call letters in Spanish, and the minimal use was only in the legal ID where it was, rapidly, pronounce in English.

The traditional Spanish alphabet has no K or W, but has Ch, Ll, Ñ and Rr as separate letters.

Recent (in the last 50 years) decisions by the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language have permitted the use of words with W and K, and reduced the guidances about Ch, Ll and Rr. Now, for example, in most places words beginning with "Ch" are sorted in the order of Cg, Ch, Ci rather than Cz, Ch.

The IFT can't even get its sorting straight. The TV tables go Camp-Chih-Chis-Coah but the AM and FM tables use the "traditional" sorting and put Chihuahua and Chiapas after Colima.

As to K and W in Mexican callsigns, those have been used forever (and even were desirable — the backstory of XEW, after all, was that they wanted to be confused with an American station). XEK, originally in Mexico City, got its calls in the 30s.

I also noticed from that list that there are several new stations getting six-letter call signs. I know Mexico had some five letter call signs, such as XETRA. And Canada gives out some five-letter call signs to CBC stations to indicate whether they are English or French, or are secondary stations getting most of their programming from a big city CBC station. But that's only for CBC stations. Privately owned stations are all four call letters.

Six-letter Mexican stations have existed since the late 80s. I believe the first might have been XEVILL-AM Villahermosa, which is now XHVILL-FM and was awarded on December 13, 1988. A raft of others were allotted in the 90s to the INI (now the CDI) indigenous radio system (XEETCH, XEXPUJ, XECOPA, etc.). A few 6-letter calls have been created by callsign changes, such as XHFAMA and XHCORO (in 2000 and 1996, respectively, while they were on AM).

The first TV with a 6-letter callsign was XHUNAM, which has primarily operated as an experimental digital station but may be gearing up for a full-power conversion at some point. It was permitted on November 27, 2000. There are now many more 6-letter TVs because the first 26 SPR transmitters (XHOP**, Organismo Promotor de Medios Audiovisuales) and all Imagen TV transmitters (XHCT**, Cadena Tres I, S.A. de C.V.) have 6-letter calls.

6-letter calls usually mean the concessionaire has selected their calls. The Veracruz Social Wolfpack (my moniker for a group of interrelated permitholders and concessionaires for noncommercial radio stations in Veracruz with the blandest "cultural" names possible and connections to the press office of embattled ex-Governor Javier Duarte) holds *five* FM stations with 6-letter calls, so XHTRES is no surprise (also: XHPAPA, XHALAM, XHTLAC, XHSANR).

There are also some 6-letter calls that were created in AM-FM migration, like XHERIO, XHEVAB, XHESCC and XHROOC. Each of these was five (or four, in the case of XESC) characters prior to migration).

As to K and W in Mexican callsigns, those have been used forever (and even were desirable — the backstory of XEW, after all, was that they wanted to be confused with an American station). XEK, originally in Mexico City, got its calls in the 30s.

"W" does not even have a consistency of pronunciation, being Doble-uoo in some countries and Doble-vay in others. And in Puerto Rico, either way goes, with the custom on call letters to be doble-vay ahead of a vowel as in doble-vay ew ennay oh and doble-uoo kah ah koo respectively.

"Y" can be eee-griyega or yay, depending on the country.

As to the "K", as long as we are story telling, when Colombia (HJ prefix) had k's in calls going back perhaps 70 years, Ecuador (HC prefix) licensed a few in the early 50's, and then did not start using the letter again until the early 70's. I once tried to get calls with a "K" in them because even then "K" was a slang usage for "que" and I thought it would be cute in the ID.

As the saying goes, twenty nations divided by a single language.

If the Ñ letter is included in the callsign then it would have to conform to ITU agreements... That may be the showstopper... no extended ISO character set callsigns allowed perhaps.. If permitted, we could even have Mexican call letters like XHGÜE but not XHFÜE... as Ü can only follow a G. No way! ¡Sí güey!

If the Ñ letter is included in the callsign then it would have to conform to ITU agreements... That may be the showstopper... no extended ISO character set callsigns allowed perhaps.. If permitted, we could even have Mexican call letters like XHGÜE but not XHFÜE... as Ü can only follow a G. No way! ¡Sí güey!
"Ü" is a standard letter with a diacritical, not a separate letter... it is named as a "uoo" and the o's are pronounced like "boo"; the diacritical indicates that the "u" is pronounced and not silent after a vowel as in "Mayagüez" in Puerto Rico . In traditional Spanish, the unique letters are rr, ñ, ll and ch. Traditional Spanish has no W or K, but modern Spanish does. In Latin America, the two letter combos are treated as separate, and the Ñ is not used in call letters, employing the standard English language alphabet with no diacriticals.

Of course, the case is fairly moot since so few Latin American stations or stations in Spain use call letter or even care about them.

You are very correct. Accented vowels á, é, í, ó, ú and the diacritic ü are not distinct letters. A better example would have been the use of Ç (C-cedilla) , a Latin script letter, as a callsign letter. It appears in Portuguese, Catalan and other languages.

Yes, the Real Academia Española did remove "CH", "LL", and "RR" as distinct letters several decades ago to modernize the language in the computer era.

I still think the Mexican stations have some of the best IDs around, often listing power, transmitter and studio building locations along with the requisite callsign. Other LATAM countries like Bolivia the callsigns are rarely used. Most Argentine community radios (LPFMs) don't bother with the callsign but the major players still ID with their letters. I don't think I have ever heard a callsign on a Iberian radio station, not even appearing in the RDS or even the DAB text stream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom