• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I Suppose Hot 97 Boston is a Flop

A

aceman.four

I Suppose Hot 97 Boston is a Flop.
Since Oct 2008, I have been waiting for Hot97 in Boston to come.
It's now February
I'm sure there having disputes with WTKK 96.9 and 97.7 WAAF
I guess it isn't happening
anybody have a say with this?

everytime we post a topic regarding Urban AC radio station or Rhythmic radio station, 8 out of 10 always say "don't count on it" and talk all about ratings and 12+ and 25-54 pluss crap. Look pass those.

I'd like ALLLL Radio Management Personal to put your radio on, scan through all radio stations in Boston area. There are NO Urban AC nor Rhymatic Radio Stations.
Now, drive around Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan areas. No put your radio on. See how many Urban AC/Caribbean radio stations you will find (ONLY in those areas) 106.1, 102.9, 101.3, 100.3, 98.9 (there's some on AM as well both Caribbean and Gospel) . As soon as you leave those areas, you start losing those stations

It may not be in the ratings, nor in the 25-54 crap that you read in the publications. (IT'S OUT THERE IN THE REAL WORLD!!!!!!)

Look past what's in the book and go out there, and see for yourselfs.

Something's got to be done in Boston to get some kind of Urban AC station, or Rhymatic AC station. Get the people who work at those Pirate Radio Stations (106.1, 101.3) Hire them as well as Professionals (Both on air and sales, promotional staff) That's how you will have a sucessful radio stations. Put all our minds together and work together. Look at 101.3 website (Bigcityfm.com) They're doing big things, and have a lot of big events

I don't mean no harm to no one, these are ideas to give Boston what they want. Boston is an MultiCultural City

Picking 97.1 as their pirate frequency might have had something to do with that...next to 96.9, would be next to impossible to hear anywhere.

LAUROJRM said:
everytime we post a topic regarding Urban AC radio station or Rhythmic radio station, 8 out of 10 always say "don't count on it" and talk all about ratings and 12+ and 25-54 pluss crap. Look pass those.

I'd like ALLLL Radio Management Personal to put your radio on, scan through all radio stations in Boston area. There are NO Urban AC nor Rhymatic Radio Stations.
Now, drive around Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan areas. No put your radio on. See how many Urban AC/Caribbean radio stations you will find (ONLY in those areas) 106.1, 102.9, 101.3, 100.3, 98.9 (there's some on AM as well both Caribbean and Gospel) . As soon as you leave those areas, you start losing those stations

It may not be in the ratings, nor in the 25-54 crap that you read in the publications. (IT'S OUT THERE IN THE REAL WORLD!!!!!!)

Look past what's in the book and go out there, and see for yourselfs.

Something's got to be done in Boston to get some kind of Urban AC station, or Rhymatic AC station. Get the people who work at those Pirate Radio Stations (106.1, 101.3) Hire them as well as Professionals (Both on air and sales, promotional staff) That's how you will have a sucessful radio stations. Put all our minds together and work together. Look at 101.3 website (Bigcityfm.com) They're doing big things, and have a lot of big events

I don't mean no harm to no one, these are ideas to give Boston what they want. Boston is an MultiCultural City

Yeah, pay not attention to the RATINGS...just the illegals! Make money..who the eff needs to do that??

LAUROJRM said:
see the responces I get?

so bad

As I said before in my post prior to this one

Radio Management needs to see the trend and do something about it.

Radio management has seen the trend. The only urban AC stations in the Boston market are those run by people with no respect for the law or anyone else...not exactly a recommended business model.

LAUROJRM
First there is one. Funkytown 93.7's HD2. Second you could put all the listeners of your pirates together and you wouldn't equal the stations at the bottom of the Boston ratings heap. The audience you wished was served better is just plain not large enough that it could sustain a major market radio station. So an HD2 is about the best you can do right now. And that's really not a bad idea considering the small size of your listenership. You almost have the same signal for a much smaller audience. So instead of complaining get some radios and support the rhythmic HD2 you have. If it starts showing up in the ratings who knows they might add live talent. Star937 failed probably cause it had little appeal out of the city into the suburbs where the bulk of the Boston Metro lives. But Funkytown could possibly survive on an Boston/Cambridge sized audience. So you might as well embrace it otherwise your going to have to move to find what you want.

Johnster said:
LAUROJRM
First there is one. Funkytown 93.7's HD2. Second you could put all the listeners of your pirates together and you wouldn't equal the stations at the bottom of the Boston ratings heap. The audience you wished was served better is just plain not large enough that it could sustain a major market radio station. So an HD2 is about the best you can do right now. And that's really not a bad idea considering the small size of your listenership. You almost have the same signal for a much smaller audience. So instead of complaining get some radios and support the rhythmic HD2 you have. If it starts showing up in the ratings who knows they might add live talent. Star937 failed probably cause it had little appeal out of the city into the suburbs where the bulk of the Boston Metro lives. But Funkytown could possibly survive on an Boston/Cambridge sized audience. So you might as well embrace it otherwise your going to have to move to find what you want.
WRONG ! Nash owned W I L D- AM 1090 daytimer pulled down 2.5 12-plus ratings ( Beat WBCN, WFNX and WAAF ) and doing well for over 50 years . Unfortunately Nash sold 1090 to clueless Radio One . Radio One Trash most of there radio stations .

LAUROJRM said:
see the responces I get?

so bad

As I said before in my post prior to this one

Radio Management needs to see the trend and do something about it.

What sort of response do you expect when you say that radio needs to not pay attention to ratings and revenue and put a format on because of the "success" of a bunch of pirate radio stations? That's just not a smart business model.

WRONG ! Nash owned W I L D- AM 1090 daytimer pulled down 2.5 12-plus ratings ( Beat WBCN, WFNX and WAAF ) and doing well for over 50 years . Unfortunately Nash sold 1090 to clueless Radio One . Radio One Trash most of there radio stations .
[/quote]

You show me that book where WILD beat BCN and AAF.

Johnster said:
LAUROJRM
all I ask for is a good responce like this, not put anyone down, good, plain and simple like this responce

LAUROJRM said:
Johnster said:
LAUROJRM
all I ask for is a good responce like this, not put anyone down, good, plain and simple like this responce

A "good" response is subjective, wouldn't you say? I never put you down. I got my point across with the use of sarcasm.

Johnster said:

[/quote]Look it up. From the 90's to early Y2k ( until R.O. F it up )

With the Garbage that on 1090 right now ( Al Sharton ) , 1090 ratings right there with WFNX . Boston needs a Urban A/C station .

I will agree there is definitely a hole for a rhythmic or an urban format...not necessarily Urban A/C, but something along those llines. Look at Jam'n and Kiss pulling their solid 5, 6, and even 7.0 ratings in some books...with no competition and a monopoly on the format, meanwhile the rock stations cannibalizing each other for barely a 3.0 rating. Someone needs to step forward and take some of that pie from Kiss and Jam'n. It COULD work, if done right.

rapking said:
Johnster said:

Look it up. From the 90's to early Y2k ( until R.O. F it up )
[/quote]Let me correct myself. 1090 beat AAF and BCN a few times back in the 90's and early Y2k . Not bad for a weak AM daytimer signal . To bad Radio One F-- it Up .

Acc. to a post on b-r-i (Michael Malone), there's a pirate in Worc. at 105.5, Flava 105.5; it was
mentioned in the minutes of a City Council meeting
http://worcesteria.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/city-council-liveblog-2309/#more-1757

Apparently the pirate, which is right next to WROR's freq (attn Greater Media), is used to promote
parties, etc. (and there is a website flava105.com). Near Clark U.

>>Rushton: “Starts out as small parties…[then] at 4am…someone ends up dead.”

No word on whether or not the radio station had anything to do with that, other than announcing
where parties are being held and playing music, etc
--
A letter by an irritated WCRB listener whose enjoyment of classical on 99.5 was disrupted by a pirate on 99.7; the station replied they complained to the FCC about it. Similar here in that "Flava" is encroaching on
WROR by the same margin
http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/exhibitionist/2007/02/wcrb_pirate_rad.html
(found via a 2007 radio-info post)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom