• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I know ALT 103.7 (KVIL) hasn't ever had great ratings, but a 1.1?!?!?

Very few times did a major signal receive close to a 1 share in the ratings. (I believe Mix 95.7 in Philadelphia had a 0.9 in one book.)

But, seriously, how awful can it be for a radio station to be rated this low? Rock radio in general isn't doing well, right now, but ALT in DFW is really in a moribund state, right now, only besting KXT and a few religious broadcasters in the 6+ ratings. Cume isn't anything to brag about, and I doubt ALT is doing well in the demos. (Not that KEGL can sleep well at night, since it is 19th in the market with a 2.5 share and a cume that beats ALT by roughly 100,000.)

I wonder what Audacy will do with this station. I don't think KRLD is prominent enough to justify an FM simulcast. And I don't think Soft AC is a good fit for Dallas-Fort Worth, considering that KDGE/Star 102.1 has to play more classic rock songs than the average mainstream AC in order to generate ratings. (Even upbeat-sounding mainstream ACs in general do not have the likes of Dream On and We Will Rock You in regular rotation.) Which leaves either Urban AC or throwback hip-hop. However, there may be loyalty to KRNB among Urban AC listeners despite a very spotty signal.

sadly at this point, flip KVIL to something else that might work, also, retire the KVIL calls since they don't care about heritage. maybe flip it to "The Bet 103.7 FM" as a companion station to KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan so that way, The Fan can focus on Sports talk without betting talk while The Bet is focus on that, but with a disclaimer that "betting on sports is still illegal in Texas and you should go to another state to bet where it's legal" and a another one about people needing to get help with gambling addictions.

sadly at this point, flip KVIL to something else that might work, also, retire the KVIL calls since they don't care about heritage. maybe flip it to "The Bet 103.7 FM" as a companion station to KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan so that way, The Fan can focus on Sports talk without betting talk while The Bet is focus on that, but with a disclaimer that "betting on sports is still illegal in Texas and you should go to another state to bet where it's legal" and a another one about people needing to get help with gambling addictions.
Why would using a full-signal FM for an activity in which people can't participate be a GOOD thing? Never mind syphoning off your own sister station.

Sounds unlikely.

maybe flip it to "The Bet 103.7 FM" as a companion station to KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan so that way, The Fan can focus on Sports talk without betting talk while The Bet is focus on that, but with a disclaimer that "betting on sports is still illegal in Texas and you should go to another state to bet where it's legal" and a another one about people needing to get help with gambling addictions.
If Audacy wanted to launch "The Bet" in DFW they could just buy a basket case AM and place it there, much as iHeart did with 970/1630 for BIN.

Audacy has "The Bet" on KIKK 650 in Houston, which recently replaced the national CBS Sportsradio feed. Being in Houston I would have preferred CBS Sportsradio to have continued here, as it was a nice fallback alternative when the local shows on other sportstalkers veered into nonsense.

Urban AC would be the way to go. 94.5 and 105.7 have garbage signals. 103.7 would wipe the floor clean with both.

103.7 KVIL should've never abandoned AC. I agree with the earlier post; that opportunity is now lost thanks to 102.1. iHM made a brilliant move ditching the Edge in favor of Star; I give them credit where credit is due.

This post exactly! I could see Urban AC take on KRNB and 94.5. I wouldn't count on The Edge to make a comeback on 102.1 HD1 since Star has been launched a few years ago and has done justice. Keeping them on HD2 is probably the better for them. As of Alt, yes it's just a joke by this point.

The alternative charts is just embarrassing to look at these days with Machine Gun Kelly, JXDN, and a bunch of Tik Tok-ers with 2 minute songs or less that feature Travis Barker on almost anything and everything. Just listen to KXT. That's where the indie-alternative is at these days.

Just listen to KXT. That's where the indie-alternative is at these days.

Great idea. One of the few stations in Dallas that gets fewer listeners than KVIL.

The future for this format is non-commercial radio. That's where it belongs.

There is commercial rock music being heard in Dallas, but only iHeart seems to know what it is.

Urban AC would be the way to go. 94.5 and 105.7 have garbage signals. 103.7 would wipe the floor clean with both.

103.7 KVIL should've never abandoned AC. I agree with the earlier post; that opportunity is now lost thanks to 102.1. iHM made a brilliant move ditching the Edge in favor of Star; I give them credit where credit is due.
I wonder if Audacy will go for a classic soul-lean a la KMJQ or a classic hip hop-lean a la WAMJ, if they decide to launch an Urban AC.

Not only is Star having substantial ratings, but they do seem to view Jack FM as major competition, given that they play a lot more rock, even playing songs not normally found on mainstream ACs (upbeat or otherwise), such as Play That Funky Music, Dream On, Bohemian Rhapsody, and We Will Rock You. Star also plays the likes of Twenty One Pilots more often. At this point, I couldn't imagine Audacy relaunching KVIL.

Great idea. One of the few stations in Dallas that gets fewer listeners than KVIL.

Agreed. But, I would like to point out that KVIL has more than twice the cume of KKXT. KVIL is 17th in cume which isn't great, but it does look better than the aqh. The audience is clearly just not in love with what they are hearing and not sticking around very long.

I wonder if Audacy will go for a classic soul-lean a la KMJQ or a classic hip hop-lean a la WAMJ, if they decide to launch an Urban AC.
I too think Urban AC would probably do better ratings wise than Alt, but I just don't see Audacy flipping to that. It doesn't seem like a core competency format for them and nothing else in their local portfolio provides sales synergies (although i do acknowledge the same is kind of true for La Grande).

Truthfully, I think they would be more likely to try once again some variation of CHR or AC before doing Urban AC.

On a personal level, I would love most if they would put 1080 on 103.7 and really invest in the all news format full time getting away from the talk shows and lifestyle programming. I do not believe that will happen though.

I too think Urban AC would probably do better ratings wise than Alt, but I just don't see Audacy flipping to that. It doesn't seem like a core competency format for them and nothing else in their local portfolio provides sales synergies (although i do acknowledge the same is kind of true for La Grande).

Truthfully, I think they would be more likely to try once again some variation of CHR or AC before doing Urban AC.

On a personal level, I would love most if they would put 1080 on 103.7 and really invest in the all news format full time getting away from the talk shows and lifestyle programming. I do not believe that will happen though.

How about a Rhythmic Hot AC? Seems to work for KXQQ and WBQT. Familiar hip-hop and R&B throwbacks, mixed with some newer tracks to keep the playlist a bit more fresh. Plus, they avoid cannibalizing KLUV and KJKK. I'm not sure if a KTU-type station would work, however, given that the approach of WSTR in Atlanta isn't paying off in the ratings, at least not yet.

Soft AC cannot work, given some of the reasons stated above.

CHR? KLIF-FM is currently having low ratings, but it seems that it sat there for a decade (both as i and Hot) in order for KSCS and KPLX to overtake KHKS in the ratings eventually. Granted, Hot may not be a superpower FM, but they cover the most important areas well. The signal is little different than a class B in Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, or Chicago. And there isn't much financial incentive to cover the likes of Cleburne, Corsicana, Ennis, and Hillsboro.

I love to have more All-News on the radio, but the reality is that it is an expensive format. Even more so for a market where All-News radio isn't a part of the culture like in the Northeast.

This post exactly! I could see Urban AC take on KRNB and 94.5. I wouldn't count on The Edge to make a comeback on 102.1 HD1 since Star has been launched a few years ago and has done justice. Keeping them on HD2 is probably the better for them. As of Alt, yes it's just a joke by this point.

The alternative charts is just embarrassing to look at these days with Machine Gun Kelly, JXDN, and a bunch of Tik Tok-ers with 2 minute songs or less that feature Travis Barker on almost anything and everything. Just listen to KXT. That's where the indie-alternative is at these days.
94.5 has become a very good station since Skip Cheatham has taken over as PD, but I think the signal limitation is what's holding them back from success. I believe if they were on a full signal, KRNB wouldn't stand a chance against them.

I believe if they were on a full signal, KRNB wouldn't stand a chance against them.
94.5 and 105.7 are both rimshots and on paper are roughly equivalent. 105.7 is a little stronger Tarrant and 94.5 is a little stronger in Dallas County.

In real world conditions I have always felt that the Wise/Montague sticks (like 105.7) do a little better in general than the Grayson ones (94.5), but they are both very signal challenged, especially for the demographics they are trying to reach.

Common Sense tells you why Audacy has not flipped 103.7 to an Urban AC format....they dont think its worth the investment to flip it. Signal wise it would be a monster because it would put an Adult R/B station back on a Cedar Hill stick, but remember CBS/Entercom/Audacy had 100.3 and killed it because it never recovered after the tower fell in Oct. 1996. If you read the trades, Adult R/B stations are very heavily invested in the community and do quite well. As bad as KRNB and KZMJ are signal wise, along with their sister FM's are a powerhouse that some may not want to go up against. Where would they fit musically in D/FW? Will they be all local or all satellite? The ratings may be bad for KVIL, but if its making budget then nothing is going to happen. Its that simple.

Common Sense tells you why Audacy has not flipped 103.7 to an Urban AC format....they dont think its worth the investment to flip it. Signal wise it would be a monster because it would put an Adult R/B station back on a Cedar Hill stick, but remember CBS/Entercom/Audacy had 100.3 and killed it because it never recovered after the tower fell in Oct. 1996. If you read the trades, Adult R/B stations are very heavily invested in the community and do quite well. As bad as KRNB and KZMJ are signal wise, along with their sister FM's are a powerhouse that some may not want to go up against. Where would they fit musically in D/FW? Will they be all local or all satellite? The ratings may be bad for KVIL, but if its making budget then nothing is going to happen. Its that simple.
I could be wrong here, but I fail to see how a radio station is bankable if that said station has low 6+ shares (probably a record low for the frequency) and not even a healthy amount of cume. Sure, one can look at ratings within the money demos, but I doubt ALT is doing well in those.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom