• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How soon is NOW for the peak to fall off?

If RadioInsight is anything to go by, there could be plans for Jim Pattison Media to flip Alternative 102.7 The Peak to a personality-driven Hot AC named 102.7 NOW! Radio, a format already heard in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and recently Toronto. There is some speculation that Christy and Fraser of 101.5 Today Radio in Calgary will move to the Vancouver station.

I had mentioned in another thread back on 2 July that there was some scuttlebutt about the Peak moving to a more talk-centric format, which is why the move of KISS to modern rock made more sense. My source said it would be talk intensive, but this sounds more like a personality driven music format. Time will tell.

I think it’s interesting that the CKKS flips formats and these is immediate scuttlebutt regarding the future of CKPK. I would have assumed that the radio station that’s been airing an alternative format for this many years would try to stick around for a while to see how this plays out. I know their ratings were not glowing over at The Peak in the recent books, but they are the incumbent. Perhaps this was a long time coming.

They’re in a bit of a tough spot when it comes to 102.7. Hot AC (which is likely to be the new format) could work, but 94.5 and 95.3 are still out there. It would have to be very personality driven. I think classic hits may have been a better bet just because it would probably force 101.1 to tone down their mixture of classic hits and focus more on rock, and would be a significantly better alternative to Jack 96.9 (which in my opinion, really isn’t classic hits).

It sounds like they plan to keep a live and local format on the HD2 signal. If it works for them, this could be a first in North America, as I’ve never seen HD radio perform well enough to warrant live and local hosts and programming.
Well, there is still streaming for the Peak. Streaming stations could do well. KRTY in San Jose, for example, has presenters for its now internet-only format.

If RadioInsight is anything to go by, there could be plans for Jim Pattison Media to flip Alternative 102.7 The Peak to a personality-driven Hot AC named 102.7 NOW! Radio, a format already heard in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and recently Toronto. There is some speculation that Christy and Fraser of 101.5 Today Radio in Calgary will move to the Vancouver station.
Yeah, we are something to go by.... Been breaking format changes for almost two decades now.

102.7 Now Radio Debuts In Vancouver

Looks like the format is going to be very similar to Jack-FM. As for The Peak, I give kudos to Pattinson media for keeping them around on a HD subchannel. This is a great opportunity to see if a more niche format can work on a HD signal with local programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom