• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Much is Too Much?

Something that caught my eye on TuneIn dot com got me wondering; Is suggesting or trying a pop dance station a sin in 2012? Is it still forbidden to present such an idea? Take a look at the tracked songs that were played back to back on WWVA-FM. Forget the people who are singing on the tracks and take away the lyrics from the instrumentals and you'll realize that not only do each and everyone of these songs sound straight up electronic, but all also have the same beat pattern structure like the music of most typical dance stations. Also, notice the total amount of time these type of songs played back to back in regular rotation;

11:19pm
LMFAO
Party Rock Anthem (feat. Lauren Bennett and Goon Rock) Buy

11:16pm
Childish Gambino
Heartbeat Buy

11:08pm
Chris Brown
Turn Up the Music Buy

11:05pm
Usher
DJ Got Us Fallin in Love (feat. Pitbull) Buy

11:02pm
David Guetta
Turn Me On (feat. Nicki Minaj) Buy

10:58pm
Calvin Harris
Feel So Close Buy

10:54pm
Pitbull
International Love (feat. Chris Brown) Buy

10:50pm
Flo Rida
Good Feeling    Good Bye!

Which brings me to the question; Is it about time someone decided to try a dance pop station? OR would adding a dance pop station amongst the plethora of already existing dance friendly top 40 formats in multiple towns be overdoing it and cause a problem for the trend?

In other words....

KDM 7000 said:
REMEMBER THIS QUESTION?

DavidEduardo said:
I'm wondering if the greater presence of dance or pseudodance on CHRs increases interest in more dance... or satisfies the need and reduces any interest in a more-dance type format.

How much is too much? Should we push the sound farther and strive to make the 94.5 The Vibe style format the next radio trend, Or should we leave things alone now, be thankful for what we can get (in terms of "dance music") and just let things be? With exception to a few different names and no slow hip hop hits, how much would a mainstream dance station really stand out music and sound-wise in most major markets these days anyway?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom