• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How early are the Christmas commercials starting?

The definition of torture, at least to everyone who isn't a 36-year-old latte-sipping soccer mom, is playing Christmas music BEFORE Thanksgiving!
Of course, let the experts speak out about how it boosts the PPM ratings of every station that does so...

That comic strip speaks to many of us.

“Prime Day falls on Tuesday and Wednesday, Walmart’s Holiday Kickoff savings event runs Monday through Thursday, Target Circle Week ended Saturday. Best Buy is offering member exclusives discounts every day this month, plus a 48-hour flash sale on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Home Depot is running a “Decor Days” event, where customers can score savings on everything from holiday decorations to furniture, kitchenware and light fixtures, through Monday. Ulta’s “Gorgeous Hair Event” with discounts on products, tools and treatments, is on through Oct. 21, and Sephora’s Beauty Insider starts Oct. 27”

Blain's Farm Fleet, one of the latest retailers to advertise online shopping is opening their famous toy department this Saturday October 14th.

Not sure if it's a national TV spot or if they just play it a lot in our market, but there's an ad for the allergy medication Claritin which runs year 'round featuring the song "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" which, of course, was a Christmas staple from Andy Williams for decades. I saw/heard that commercial throughout the entire spring and summer.

I'm not sure how long the stuff has been out on display, but I went to Home Depot a few weeks ago and they had their Christmas stuff up, and just this week I was at Walmart and they've already got the garden center converted to full-on Christmas, and several rows at the back section of the store are filled with holiday items. From the looks of it, it's been that way for weeks.

HVAC manufacturers are already selling heaters in preparatrion for the Winter season. If that's not an indication, I don't know what is

Future historians may well note that the fall of the Western Civilization can be traced to people revolting in response to a Christmas ad played on Labor Day one year. That, or Home Depot putting an 8 ft. tall inflatable Christmas Minion on an endcap alongside a gas grill marked down just in time for Labor Day.

I don't see the problem with early Christmas advertising. Think about it this way. Here in Australia we are in a pretty big economic downturn, caused by the cost of living skyrocketing off the back of Covid related factors.. So my guess, smart marketers have probably worked out that if there is going to be any hope of a decent (retail) Christmas, get the crowds to shop early, or lay-buy in the lead up.

You might see a lot of Christmas commercials during Christmas romance movies airing on the Hallmark Channel, Lifetime, and Great Family cable networks.

(And on radio, you'll be hearing a ton of Christmas commercials in the weeks to come, especially on stations that program 24/7 Christmas music)

Over the weekend I saw a Christmas ad on HGTV run ad-nauseam from Hobby Lobby. The first time I saw it, it made me get a bit misty-eyed. After about the 3rd time it aired within an hour, it just got old. While I won't got into to much detail, let's just say it's a made up story to tug at the heartstrings, much like the dreadful song "Christmas Shoes".

Over the weekend I saw a Christmas ad on HGTV run ad-nauseam from Hobby Lobby. The first time I saw it, it made me get a bit misty-eyed. After about the 3rd time it aired within an hour, it just got old. While I won't got into to much detail, let's just say it's a made up story to tug at the heartstrings, much like the dreadful song "Christmas Shoes".
HGTV knows who their target audience is.

Back
Top Bottom