• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How do I go about landing this career in the future?

https://nielsen.taleo.net/careersection/3/jobdetail.ftl
What kind of long-term planning should I make to get a Research Analyst position at Nielson? I have a Bachelor's in Communications with an emphasis in Broadcasting, and looking around I found this. What are your thoughts?:confused:

A research analyst generally requires a math, computer and statistics background, not a communications degree. Some experience in research is likely needed but I can't comment on the posting as apparently the position has been filled and the job description removed.

A research analyst generally requires a math, computer and statistics background, not a communications degree. Some experience in research is likely needed but I can't comment on the posting as apparently the position has been filled and the job description removed.

https://careers.uchealth.org/job/UC...ed&utm_campaign=indeed-feed&source=Indeed.com
How about this link? A Market Research Analyst? Would this be a possibility?:confused: I'm looking for some kind of long-term career plan.

https://careers.uchealth.org/job/UC...ed&utm_campaign=indeed-feed&source=Indeed.com
How about this link? A Market Research Analyst? Would this be a possibility?:confused: I'm looking for some kind of long-term career plan.

If you look at the requirements, they involve the same base of math, statistics and, of course, computers.

"Requirements

Bachelor's degree in Market Research, Marketing, Business, Economics, Communications, or related field.
3 years of experience in market research
Knowledge of marketing principles and practices is required"

If your degree is in communications, you'd have to have work experience in things like survey design, recruiting, analysis and techniques like cluster or factor analysis, and so on.

Analysis of market research means taking sometimes raw data and finding the meaning. That may be by looking for correlations, useful subset trends, and so on. Depending on how deep the analysis goes, it may mean adding routines to computer programs to create additional sorts or tables or even changing sampling techniques and questionnaire design.

The job often entails taking data and presenting it for management, meaning you have to like writing reports and doing PowerPoint decks and are able to take data and express its significance for non-researchers.

I ran a radio research operation for about a decade, and in the past wrote software for a radio ratings company. That is why I say a foundation of math, computer skills (including languages) and statistics is needed.

Last edited:

If you look at the requirements, they involve the same base of math, statistics and, of course, computers.

"Requirements

Bachelor's degree in Market Research, Marketing, Business, Economics, Communications, or related field.
3 years of experience in market research
Knowledge of marketing principles and practices is required"

If your degree is in communications, you'd have to have work experience in things like survey design, recruiting, analysis and techniques like cluster or factor analysis, and so on.

Analysis of market research means taking sometimes raw data and finding the meaning. That may be by looking for correlations, useful subset trends, and so on. Depending on how deep the analysis goes, it may mean adding routines to computer programs to create additional sorts or tables or even changing sampling techniques and questionnaire design.

The job often entails taking data and presenting it for management, meaning you have to like writing reports and doing PowerPoint decks and are able to take data and express its significance for non-researchers.

I ran a radio research operation for about a decade, and in the past wrote software for a radio ratings company. That is why I say a foundation of math, computer skills (including languages) and statistics is needed.

Hmmm....then maybe that isn't the route to go. Do you know of any Nielson/Arbitron jobs for a Comm. major grad like myself? I am very interested in TV and radio ratings, and think working some place like that would be interesting.:confused:

Hmmm....then maybe that isn't the route to go. Do you know of any Nielson/Arbitron jobs for a Comm. major grad like myself? I am very interested in TV and radio ratings, and think working some place like that would be interesting.:confused:

You'd have to keep following the Nielsen job postings. Those in the media are not going to be notified of ratings company jobs.

David makes a good point. I'm not sure Nielsen would be interested in hiring analysts that are broadcasting focused or hobbyists. Seems to me they would want to avoid any possible bias.

If the business of ratings is of interest, you may be better off getting an annalist gig related to a different field that has similar use of math and statistic analysis. Maybe after some time developing your chops, you could transition into media ratings when an opening you were qualified for came up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom