• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How accurate are FCC service contours for FM?

For example there is several LPFMs or low power translators 30 miles away and yet I can still receive them with a decent signal. This despite the service contour putting me in a deep fringe or nothing at all. A recent example, 104.7 KSGG that recently appeared that is nowhere near me and only 250W has a good signal here.

Even with a modest portable radio it's still possible to receive them.

It seems what these actually estimate vs reality don't exactly match by a pretty big margin.

Last edited:
"Predicted Contours" are more relevant to licensing than to actual coverage. Those calculated contours are based on a perfect environment and a perfect antenna. In the real world, terrain, buildings, the side of the tower the antenna is on and other factors may change that a great deal.

"Deep Fringe" is "catch us if you can".

I came up with a formula many years ago for computing contours, but I forget what it was. It was a very, very simple formula though.

Later, I found a more complicated formula on some website, but I haven't seen it in years.

I came up with a formula many years ago for computing contours, but I forget what it was. It was a very, very simple formula though.

Later, I found a more complicated formula on some website, but I haven't seen it in years.
I think I remember my formula now. I think it might have been:

((HAAT*W)^.25)/2.2

To add to David a little bit, the FCC rules are dated. They were designed for the tuners that would have been available for purchase in the early 1960s.

What might have been fringe to impossible back then is doable with a handheld now.

The algorithm for predicting curves is actually pretty good, but it predicts field strength at a given distance with an ideal receive antenna, not how well your individual tuner in your individual home might receive it.

Not only does the quality of your tuner matter, but also the local terrain, the construction type of your home (some building materials block more RF than others), the weather (to a small extent), and the local RF environment.

For example, if you live in the Loop in Chicago, you'll probably have a harder time tuning in a suburban fringe signal than you would if you lived by Wrigley Field, because the RF from Sears will deafen most tuners a bit.

For example there is several LPFMs or low power translators 30 miles away and yet I can still receive them with a decent signal. This despite the service contour putting me in a deep fringe or nothing at all. A recent example, 104.7 KSGG that recently appeared that is nowhere near me and only 250W has a good signal here.
That is a Class A, not a LP or Translator.

Michi's Rule #19: "Broadcast contours can be deceiving."
Contours are based on a very old formula that looks at the height above average terrain in up to 360 different directions along with the operating power in those 360 directions. Since it depends on HAAT calculations, it only looks at the terrain that is located within 2 to 10 miles when doing the calculation. It does not consider close-by terrain within 2 miles (see KWSV-LP to see how this helps them out). For lower-powered translators and LPFM stations, the actual coverage will vary greatly from the contours. You also need to take into consideration that when calculating HAAT, any value below 30 meters is considered 30 meters for the determination of operating power (for LPFM) and the development of the contour.

The only true way to see coverage is through a terrain-based propagation study such as Longley/Rice.

Michi's Rule #19: "Broadcast contours can be deceiving."
Contours are based on a very old formula that looks at the height above average terrain in up to 360 different directions along with the operating power in those 360 directions. Since it depends on HAAT calculations, it only looks at the terrain that is located within 2 to 10 miles when doing the calculation. It does not consider close-by terrain within 2 miles (see KWSV-LP to see how this helps them out). For lower-powered translators and LPFM stations, the actual coverage will vary greatly from the contours. You also need to take into consideration that when calculating HAAT, any value below 30 meters is considered 30 meters for the determination of operating power (for LPFM) and the development of the contour.

The only true way to see coverage is through a terrain-based propagation study such as Longley/Rice.
If we had a "permanent" board here for all-pervasive gems, this would be the first entry.

47 CFR Section 73.333, Figure 1 and Section 73.699, Figure 9 Estimated Field Strength Exceeded at 50 percent of the potential receiver locations 50 percent of the time, at a receiving antenna height of 9 meters (just short of 30').

You mean you don't drive around with a 30' mast on your car???? I have. It was used for making FM field strength measurements, dipole on top, FIM-71 and spectrum analyzer at the bottom. It was fun until you got over about 5mph, and hard to deal with wind.

IIR, the 30' was chosen because of the average height of trees, which absorb a lot of RF making field strength below 30' erratic. But I might be mistaken. I've been mistaken before.

The theoretical antenna was a tuned horizontal dipole, I believe. They don't specify required field strength for specified receiver quieting, or what degree of quieting was considered receiveable, though I'm sure it was factored in. Doubtful that's changed much on average. Seems to me receivers want about 20dB more signal for the same quieting in stereo.

There's also up to 20dB variance over a 100' path with typical multipath, so at the fringe, there's your 50/50.

Back
Top Bottom