• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston area officially loses a LPFM

The school district that had the license claimed in late 2013 the tower site had been dismantled and they were looking for a new location, so filed a Silent notification..The FCC sent a letter in November 2014 asking if they had resumed operations and were given 30 days to reply. They did not.

Wonder how much the Royal Independent School District paid for the station a couple of years ago? (It was purchased from a church.) Looks like they might have set some taxpayer money on fire.

What a waste of our money! LOL
And judging by the fact they didn't reply to the FCC's notification... Hmm... Makes me wonder why they don't care about things like that.

What a waste of our money! LOL
And judging by the fact they didn't reply to the FCC's notification... Hmm... Makes me wonder why they don't care about things like that.

Oh school districts have more important things to do - like denying enough parking spaces for high school students, illegally seizing cell phones owned by parents, etc.

I bet they could have found a tower or support somewhere...but realized after buying the station just how much it really costs to keep the station on the air (royalties on any music, transmitter operational costs, paying a tower crew to install feedline and antenna...if they even had that!)...

New Caney had an AM on campus years ago at the high school....was a 50 watt....(which is legal under conditions...problem was they didnt meet the conditions; the signal extended WELL beyond the campus at above legal limits)...When they got notified they were illegal as to their off campus signal, they took it down. Funny, a Part 15 FM on top of the highest building on campus may have covered better OR the AM put in the center of the campus and power set for legal levels at the edge.....but the transmitter/antenna was right next to the science labs on the north side of the campus....BAD planning....(and an engineer from a well known station was helping them...he should have known the rules!)

Oh school districts have more important things to do - like denying enough parking spaces for high school students, illegally seizing cell phones owned by parents, etc.

Once on school property, its like being on an airplane....the school admin can do what they need to do to keep order and control....denying enough parking spaces? Noone said driving to and parking at school was a right. There are buses for that. Cell phones? Anything that disrupts the classroom can be seized but must be returned at the end of the school day..(Want to talk about illegally seizing? Hell, when one broadcast company released me, they illegally kept my REQUIRED glasses for 3 weeks...one manager kept claiming I had property belonging to the station but his ego filled head was so far up his rear, he failed to notice at the transmitter site, the documentation was sitting right where it was supposed to be.....I had to finally call the cops and file a theft complaint....after filing a harassment complaint because the damn Burk remote control kept calling my apartment number at night and of course, they had changed the passcodes. I called the FCC to inform them the manager's stations (at another building than mine) were not legally monitoring the LP-1 though they had a TAB self inspection sticker at the door (what a joke those are...anyone can lie and get one)..not sure if the local Field Agent pulled an inspection. OH, I did get my glasses back..and several thousand dollars of electronics I had put in the basement storage for a time while getting a storage of my own...but I did not get back several cassette tapes of Stevens and Pruett "Star Trots" I was planning to digitize in the prod room....and I also lost several pictures with celebs taken when they visited the station....Needless to say they were not on my Christmas card list

I bet they could have found a tower or support somewhere...but realized after buying the station just how much it really costs to keep the station on the air (royalties on any music, transmitter operational costs, paying a tower crew to install feedline and antenna...if they even had that!)...

New Caney had an AM on campus years ago at the high school....was a 50 watt....(which is legal under conditions...problem was they didnt meet the conditions; the signal extended WELL beyond the campus at above legal limits)...When they got notified they were illegal as to their off campus signal, they took it down. Funny, a Part 15 FM on top of the highest building on campus may have covered better OR the AM put in the center of the campus and power set for legal levels at the edge.....but the transmitter/antenna was right next to the science labs on the north side of the campus....BAD planning....(and an engineer from a well known station was helping them...he should have known the rules!)

I remember that a high school in Lubbock had a 5 watt station - and put the tower on top of their gym. Lubbock is a compact city, so little KOHM would cover a large part of it from Coronado High school. Eventually, the local NPR bought them out and used the station - now on another frequency - as its classical music outlet similar to what other NPR stations are doing across the country. The NPR up there used to be only 10 W, but it was on a 600 foot tower and covered the city very well. Which should give the folks putting on 106.1 some encouragement - tower height is always to be preferred over ERP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom