• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot AC Most Added: 3/12/07

B

Beejus

Um.. yeah... definitely missed a few weeks here. Woops :p

Here's last week's most added tracks at Hot AC... according to R&R.

HOT AC MOST ADDED © Issue Date:
3/9/2007

#1- LILY ALLEN SMILE (CAPITOL)

#2- GWEN STEFANI FEAT. AKON THE SWEET ESCAPE (INTERSCOPE)

#3- MAT KEARNEY UNDENIABLE (AWARE/COLUMBIA)

#4- HINDER BETTER THAN ME (UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC)

#5- JON MCLAUGHLIN BEAUTIFUL DISASTER (ISLAND/IDJMG)

I actually don't see this track doing much... I don't know why... I just don't have a feeling for it.

Decent track, but I feel she's lost to CHR. Still a hit though (I think it just broke Top 20?)

Should be a hit. Top 10 my guess

Not going to be nearly as big as Lips of an Angel... but could still hit Top 10

I literally just got this track on my desk today... haven't had time to listen.

Beejus said:

I actually don't see this track doing much... I don't know why... I just don't have a feeling for it.

Decent track, but I feel she's lost to CHR. Still a hit though (I think it just broke Top 20?)

Should be a hit. Top 10 my guess

Not going to be nearly as big as Lips of an Angel... but could still hit Top 10

I literally just got this track on my desk today... haven't had time to listen.

Gwen Stafani's "Sweet Escape" is the prototypical Perfect Hot AC Song. We've had it in our "A" rotation for a month; where have you been?

Lily Allen's "Smile" is a chick record. Bouncy tune with razor-sharp male-bashing lyrics. If you're programming your station for women 18-49/25-44, they'll love it. If you're not, well... you're in the wrong format.

redneckriviera said:
Gwen Stafani's "Sweet Escape" is the prototypical Perfect Hot AC Song. We've had it in our "A" rotation for a month; where have you been?

Lily Allen's "Smile" is a chick record. Bouncy tune with razor-sharp male-bashing lyrics. If you're programming your station for women 18-49/25-44, they'll love it. If you're not, well... you're in the wrong format.

Both songs have had negative responses from my listeners... Lily Allen especially. Gwen Stefani's song is JUST starting to catch on the slightest bit, but I only have it in light rotation.

Some songs work for some stations, some don't. It might be a hit in New York, but that doesn't mean it'll work in Boise.

redneckriviera said:

You've gotta remember that familiarity is the name of the game in Hot AC. "Chasing Cars" is still #1 in national callout data, while "The Sweet Escape" is hardly getting numbers to be in anyone's "A" rotation yet. "If you're programming your station for women 18-49/25-44," you'll be careful to just throw this stuff into the main mix so soon -- or your P1s will be scanning the dial for the songs they already know and love.

Beejus -- we introduced it as "new music" this week too.

Truth be told, we're gearing our Hot AC at women 20-39, with a 10-year core of 25-34, and essentially ceding the 40+ crowd to the Soft AC in the market. If your 10-year core is 35-44, then--yes--familiarity may be more important than playing new music. But isn't that really Mainstream AC territory?

When you have a Mainstream AC in the same market, then I would agree that it's a good idea to skew younger on Hot AC. For my station, we have no Mainstream ACs in our area. Like many Hot ACs, we can reach a much broader audience. We can appeal to the 30-something working woman, while also keeping her kids (and the young-adult crowd) entertained with a balanced mix.

IMO, this is all part of a growing debate about the direction of Hot AC. The fact is, redneckriviera is right...and I'm right, too. The lines between Hot AC, CHR and Mainstream AC are becoming more and more blurred. Some say it's a dying format...I say it's a format that can cater to individual local markets better than the other "cookie cutter" formats.

What we've been doing is cherry-picking hit tunes off CHR/Pop that match up texturally with the rest of what passes for Hot AC. Our assumption is that CHR success is evidence of general popularity, recognizing that the Hot AC "charts" merely reflect what other programmers are doing--with no direct link to music purchasing anymore (although it's worth keeping an eye on download charts). Since most AC programmers are trained to be ultra-cautious... and lean away from new "untested" music, the Hot AC charts move exceedingly slow. The risk is that the younger adult segment of your audience thinks of you as "the station that plays the songs that were popular last year."

So, yes, we tend to be way ahead of our Hot AC bretheren. What we have to show for it is a 28 share in women 18-34... a 26 share in women 18-49... and a 14 share in women 25-54. All #1 rankings.

We do have a large university in our market--and that does skew the population a bit younger than most places.

redneckriviera said:
So, yes, we tend to be way ahead of our Hot AC bretheren. What we have to show for it is a 28 share in women 18-34... a 26 share in women 18-49... and a 14 share in women 25-54. All #1 rankings.

We do have a large university in our market--and that does skew the population a bit younger than most places.

Those are damn good numbers, congrats on them!

While I follow the Hot AC chart, I have no problem giving a try to a song that may not be on the Hot AC chart, but sounds like it could fit (Muse- Starlight... in our A rotation right now).

I don't have research, I don't have a consultant in LA telling me what we should play... I have gut reaction, and listener feedback (My Chemical Romance- Famous Last Words... should be a bigger hit than Black Parade was for my station.. my listeners were all over it after it's first spin). I keep an eye on what's selling (I added HelloGoodbye and spun it nearly 700 times before my CHR competitor touched it... same with Dashboard Confessional)... but I can't rely totally on new music... I'm in an area where the 80s never died... and I have a diverse 80s playlist too. Finding the balance can be tough, but my listeners seem to enjoy it, as TSL has been up for 2 books :)

In the end... it all comes down to market preference... who your competition is etc.

Hey guys i was just wondering what station are we talking about, that has been up for the last 2 books? Also do you stream online?, i'd like to give it a listen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom