• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 97.5/103.9 Relaunches as Rhythmic AC

The first hour, per Lance at Radio Insight:
  • Nelly – Hot In Herre
  • Snap! – Rhythm Is A Dancer
  • Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling
  • Jagged Edge – Let’s Get Married
  • Madonna – Open Your Heart
  • B.O.B. ft. Bruno Mars – Nothing On You
  • Lady Gaga ft. Colby O’Donis – Just Dance
  • The Weeknd – Blinding Lights
  • Ghost Town DJs – My Boo
  • 50 Cent – In Da Club
  • Nicki Minaj – Starships
  • Bobby Brown – Every Little Step
  • Pink – Get The Party Started
  • 2Pac – California Love
  • David Guetta ft. Sia – Titanium
  • Crazy Town – Butterfly

Last edited:
I like this change. Similar formats have appeared recently in Atlanta and Miami. In the case of Phoenix, this format could pull some numbers away from 101.1 The Bounce. The music mix in this particular instance is a little more creative, yet everything still fits together nicely.

I like this change. Similar formats have appeared recently in Atlanta and Miami. In the case of Phoenix, this format could pull some numbers away from 101.1 The Bounce. The music mix in this particular instance is a little more creative, yet everything still fits together nicely.
And now Norfolk, (100.5 The Vibe).

Maybe. It's supposibly gonna be urban ac. Movin 107.7 is already doing Rhythmic AC in the market, but not very good. I'd like to see a better version for sure.
You are correct. Guess we will just have to see. Personally, I'm looking forward to finding out.

I really miss 103.9 The Edge. Chuck and Vince in the morning. The ska/punk show. I know the numbers weren't great but I miss it
Go Punk Yourself on 97.9 Sunday nights covers pretty much the same thing - only commercial FM in the state where I've heard Circle Jerks - as does (to a lesser extent) 93.9. Of course, as we approach the 4th of July, I am reminded of then-103.9's now-defunct Declaration of Independence, the musical equivalent of 92.3 now-mothballed pledge to always be "live & local."

This new station's positioned directly in between 101.1 The Bounce and Mega 104.3 and is also airing currents to alleviate the chance of station burnout. Certainly the new 101.1 was cutting in to the numbers of Power 98.3 so this may be a move to reclaim some of that leaked audience.

In varying degrees it appears to be a take on what Star 94/Atlanta, 939 MIA/Miami, Kiss 107.9/Sacramento, 100.3 SHE/Chicago are doing.

I really miss 103.9 The Edge. Chuck and Vince in the morning. The ska/punk show. I know the numbers weren't great but I miss it

Same. While they obviously want to maximize market coverage with the simulcast, selfishly I wish they'd have gone with this cool Classic Rhythmic Pop format on 97.5 and a 91X-inspired Classic Alternative format on 103.9.

103.9 The Edge was one of the most interesting commercial alternative stations in America during its run. It was heavily local and formatted for the valley and nowhere else.

Could use a little more dance instead of the usual tracks.

Agreed. Hot/Phoenix is airing a unique format. Gina G "Ooh Aah", Crush "Jellyhead", Corona "Baby Baby" and many more 90s Dance Hits could fit here in moderation. Glad to hear La Bouche, Snap and others though, an absolute rarity for U.S. terrestrial radio at this point in time.

This new station's positioned directly in between 101.1 The Bounce and Mega 104.3 and is also airing currents to alleviate the chance of station burnout. Certainly the new 101.1 was cutting in to the numbers of Power 98.3 so this may be a move to reclaim some of that leaked audience.

In varying degrees it appears to be a take on what Star 94/Atlanta, 939 MIA/Miami, Kiss 107.9/Sacramento, 100.3 SHE/Chicago are doing.

Same. While they obviously want to maximize market coverage with the simulcast, selfishly I wish they'd have gone with this cool Classic Rhythmic Pop format on 97.5 and a 91X-inspired Classic Alternative format on 103.9.

103.9 The Edge was one of the most interesting commercial alternative stations in America during its run. It was heavily local and formatted for the valley and nowhere else.

Agreed. Hot/Phoenix is airing a unique format. Gina G "Ooh Aah", Crush "Jellyhead", Corona "Baby Baby" and many more 90s Dance Hits could fit here in moderation. Glad to hear La Bouche, Snap and others though, an absolute rarity for U.S. terrestrial radio at this point in time.

I've been listening over the past few days and noticed that so far, there is way too much Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake, JLO, Rihanna, etc.

If you're claiming to be "The Rhythm of the Valley" and playing older tunes that may have been popular here back in the day, at least play some dance that was actually played then as well. Also, I would maybe add some remixed versions of older tunes to keep them sounding fresher like the Madonna songs, etc. I also feel like the station is ignoring many of the alternative dance-type bands like New Order, Erasure etc., older freestyle like Lissette Melendez, Noel, etc., and 90's Euro-dance.

If the station is marketing towards a younger crowd than those of us who actually lived through these times, I'm not sure old, stale sounding songs in regular rotation would appeal to the younger folk. There is an entire world of music that still sounds pretty fresh for its age and is ripe for rediscovery for the younger crowd because the music hasn't received much airplay for the past couple decades as it did when originally released. But JMO.

I know radio stations aren't necessarily programmed to fit my needs lol. I feel like I'd want a cross between old Power 92 during its dance heavy years and also KTU in NY.

I just checked their recent playlist and of the last 24 songs played, none of them qualified as "dance" songs or even crossover dance. Pretty pathetic for a station that claims to play upbeat songs.

🙄​

While they play some, I personally would love to hear more classic dance titles. I recall at one point in their history 97.5 was a CHR with a slight dance lean. They were ahead of the curve on Reggaeton and Rhythmic AC, having aired those formats in the past.

Quite obviously it's not the reality but I've always wished EDM had a higher profile on U.S. radio. The peak was those few years when there were commercial Dance CHRs all over the place - Dallas, LA, Chicago, Denver, Phoenix etc. etc. - mostly on small signals with Miami being a notable exception.

A quick add to my previous post - of course in an era prior to the Dance CHRs mentioned and prior to hip-hop going mainstream there was a sizable crop of rhythmics that played a ton of dance music such as Hot 102/Milwaukee, Power 106/LA, B96/Chicago and more. And obviously before that was disco.

I just checked their recent playlist and of the last 24 songs played, none of them qualified as "dance" songs or even crossover dance. Pretty pathetic for a station that claims to play upbeat songs.

🙄​

"Upbeat" does not mean just "dance". It can mean "uptempo", "rhythmic" or, simply, just not soft ballads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom