• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

History of Alternative Rock/AAA radio around Louisiana.

This topic was discussed among some radio friends recently.
So far what I've come up with. Please help me fill in any blanks.

Shreveport
92.1 "The Buzz"

Alexandria
95.7 "Channel 957" (AAA)
104.3 "Red 104.3"

Monroe
No Commercial Stations

Baton Rouge
100.7 "The Tiger"
107.3 "The Tiger"
104.5/104.9 "X 1045/9"

Lafayette
96.5/105.1 "Planet Radio"
105.9 "X1059"
106.3 "Radio Lafayette" (AAA/Alternative)
106.7 "Planet Radio" (Classic Alternative)

Lake Charles
No Commercial Stations

New Orleans
106.1 "The Zephyr"
106.7 "The End"
94.9 "Xtreme Radio"(Skewed towards Active Rock)
106.1 "The Underground"
92.3 "Alt 92.3

LSU/Baton Rouge's WPRG/KLSU would like a word... (if I can correctly remember any of the dates).

1980 on the air as 10 watt WPRG, then roughly 1984 as 5 KW KLSU. Now 23 KW DA from the same Choppin Hall rooftop tower.

I wonder who in north Louisiana, Shreveport or Monroe, has the courage to get the 25-54 males and do alternative/classic alternative. The demo is there, the money is too. A GM is just lacking courage
Shreveport is dead of new rock as far as I know like Alexandria. As neither has a station playing these artist thar I'm Aware of.
Monroe has a mainstream Rocker in 106.1 that tends to play some of the newer stuff IMO.

Lake Charles I think gets new rock only from Big Dog 106 in nearby Beaumont.

I'm waiting to see what goes on here in Houma. There is a new non commercial with a CP here and it's parent company is from what I researched, is a broadcaster out of Miami that tends to play modern rock/Alternative with a Christian slant but is programmed like a commercial. Unless they are selling after being built, will be interesting .

Back
Top Bottom