• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Highway 59

Ok just saw this on another topic in the Houston Radio board and someone mentioned 59 (I 69 west).

Where did I 69 come from? All the sudden I saw signs on Highway 59 saying FUTURE 69 CORRIDOR. What's the difference between Highway 59 and I69?

I asked the very same question. I noticed this years ago north of Houston.

It seems US 59 is slated to become an Interstate, seemingly needing less work to become an interstate, but when that will happen seems to be unknown. I would think any work would be done beyond the city and suburbs first since overpasses and such would need to be built.

I asked the very same question. I noticed this years ago north of Houston.

It seems US 59 is slated to become an Interstate, seemingly needing less work to become an interstate, but when that will happen seems to be unknown. I would think any work would be done beyond the city and suburbs first since overpasses and such would need to be built.

I-69 until recently was strictly an Indianapolis-to-Port Huron MI freeway. It's being extended to three border crossings in Texas (via I-69W, I-69C, and I-69E). It looks like the main part of the construction right now is being done in Texas and Indiana. The Indiana section is almost done -- finished from Evansville to Bloomington, with construction now going on from there to Indianapolis (currently SR 37).

Plans are for I 69 to use sections of Purchase Parkway in KY and Highway 51 in TN that are already built to interstate standards and go through Memphis into AR and eventually tie into the Texas leg.

I probably should have phrased that differently. I 69 will go around the East side of Memphis on what is currently called Highway 385, which is also built to interstate standards already, and go slightly into Mississippi before crossing the river into AR.

I probably should have phrased that differently. I 69 will go around the East side of Memphis on what is currently called Highway 385, which is also built to interstate standards already, and go slightly into Mississippi before crossing the river into AR.

Where? A new bridge close to Memphis or the US 49 bridge at Helena, which I believe is the next bridge over the river once you get out of Memphis -- at least it was when I was living in Arkansas nearly 35 years ago.

Still study and debate on just what route that Martinsville to Indpls stretch will take. Lots of unhappy residents as KeithE4 might suspect.

Last I heard, it will be an upgrade of SR 37 all the way from Bloomington to Indy.

I need to correct a couple of other things because of plan changes. In Memphis I 69 will follow sections of I 40, 240 and 55 into MS. Highway 385 will be a loop called I 269, and I 69 will continue in MS following on or near Highway 61 to a new bridge near Greenville.

A US 41 bypass south of Terre Haute was already built to accommodate an eventual I-69. That doesn't align with SR 37 to Bloomington. I see I-70 from Indy to TH being I-70/I-69, and then a route going from TH to West of Evansville (through IL obviously) into Western KY, and further west from there.

A US 41 bypass south of Terre Haute was already built to accommodate an eventual I-69. That doesn't align with SR 37 to Bloomington. I see I-70 from Indy to TH being I-70/I-69, and then a route going from TH to West of Evansville (through IL obviously) into Western KY, and further west from there.

There's no need for a freeway from Evansville to Terre Haute. There is one for an Evansville-to-Fort Wayne-via-Indianapolis freeway. Also, Bloomington is the largest city in the state not served by a full freeway (the current SR 37 bypass is more of a limited-access expressway with a few interchanges). The IU-connected environmentalists and the rural old-timers in Bloomington were united against it, from what I heard (I haven't lived there since just after the SR 37 bypass was opened), but as they say, necessity is a mother and this freeway is necessary.

Perhaps there's been an update I've missed. My understanding is that environmental studies are continuing on Section 6, the route from Martinsville to Indianapolis. it's likely to be an upgrade for SR 37, but that's not confirmed. There are five possible routes, including a couple that run north from Martinsville and west of Mooresville connecting with I-70.

Google searched and found a fact sheet from the state dated 1/11/16. If I'm reading it correctly, it will be 2018 before the final route is confirmed.

http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/Fact_Sheet_1-11-16.pdf

My mistake then. I thought the final route for Section 6 had already been determined.

"I see"...as in I predict...or is there something online you see suggesting that route? If so, it's not true.

There is already an I-69, finished, opened and handling traffic between US 41 south of Evansville and SR 37 south of Bloomington. Construction is underway on improving SR 37 to interstate standards between Bloomington and Martinsville. A final phase six of that route is still in planning with five possible routes, only one of which follows the existing SR 37 between Martinsville and I-465 on the southside of Indianapolis. Two of the potential routes head north from Martinsville and west of Mooresville. Those two routes then connect with I-70 in Hendricks County and follow I-70 to its interchange with I-465, east of Indianapolis International Airport.

Routing it to or near Terre Haute and then multiplexing with I-70 was one of the original plans that many in Bloomington were in favor of, but that was years ago. I don't think INDOT was ever serious about anything but the adopted Evansville-to-Indy-via-Bloomington route.

Plans are for I 69 to use sections of Purchase Parkway in KY and Highway 51 in TN that are already built to interstate standards and go through Memphis into AR and eventually tie into the Texas leg.
Yes, that is basically the Purchase Parkway, and part of the Western Kentucky Parkway in the Bluegrass State, and will make a hard left in, I think, Muhlenberg County to go due north to Evansville.

In Tennessee, only the part of highway 51 between just north of Dyersburg, and almost Troy, are part of the I-69 corridor, as well as the section between Union City and Fulton. Right now, there is a "road to nowhere" just west of Union City, which is closed to traffic. Just an overpass and a mile or two of road.

I need to correct a couple of other things because of plan changes. In Memphis I 69 will follow sections of I 40, 240 and 55 into MS. Highway 385 will be a loop called I 269, and I 69 will continue in MS following on or near Highway 61 to a new bridge near Greenville.
269 will need the cooperation of MDOT for completion, as it will go into Mississippi.

It appears that Mississippi and Kentucky are well ahead of us in I-69 development. The Kentucky map shows "future I-69 route" along the Purchase and Western KY parkways. The Tennessee map actually shows the part of I-69 in Mississippi in DeSoto County just west of I-55. I am trying to find a 2016 Tennessee map because it shows I-269 on it. (I have seen the "future I-69 corridor" signs along highway 51 between Dyersburg and Newbern when I was last there a couple of years ago. Also saw those signs in Houston (and again in Memphis) when we went to Houston for wife's cousin's wedding three years ago.)

Yes, that is basically the Purchase Parkway, and part of the Western Kentucky Parkway in the Bluegrass State, and will make a hard left in, I think, Muhlenberg County to go due north to Evansville.
Okay, correction on the above. That should be Hopkins County (Madisonville area), and at that hard left, it will join the Pennyrile Parkway, which runs between Hopkinsville and Evansville, but I-69 will only use the Madisonville-Evansville stretch.

I used to live right off of I-69 in Michigan. It starts in Port Huron at the Canadian Border, heads due west to Flint and on to Lansing. Then it turns 90 degrees south and heads into Indiana past Fort Wayne and down to Indianapolis. I think it has now been extended to the Ohio River near Evansville, and ultimately I think plans are to run it to the Mexican Border to facilitate more Canada-US-Mexico trade.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom