• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Help With Large RF Pulsed Microwave Power Source – Used in Broadcasting

Hi everyone. I’ve acquired what I believe to be a 70kW RF Pulsed Microwave Source. It was built for the University of Florida in 2009 for $38,425 and they used it for thermoacoustic imaging to detect breast cancer. But before this manufacturer went out of business, they would sell these to radio stations for broadcasting. I was also told this was surplus equipment made from Korean War vintage radar equipment.

I’m not familiar with radio broadcasting. I was wanting to do some more research on this before trying to sell it. I was wondering if someone knew more about this item, its value, and can suggest where and to whom I could sell this to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a Dropbox link to the instructions, researchers' thesis, and many more pictures:
Pulsed Microwave Source Images

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 14
The description you've provided doesn't seem to fit broadcasting. I read your text and looked at the photos, but did not check out the dropbox.

Broadcasting is not pulsed, and a 70 kW transmitter would be very much out of the ordinary on any of the broadcast bands. This device looks much too small to handle 70 kW continuous.

Additionally, I don't believe a broadcast band would be anyone's first choice for operating medical diagnostic equipment, especially not at 70 kW.

The waveguides shown in the pictures are a giveaway: This is microwave equipment, not broadcast.

The description you've provided doesn't seem to fit broadcasting. I read your text and looked at the photos, but did not check out the dropbox.

Broadcasting is not pulsed, and a 70 kW transmitter would be very much out of the ordinary on any of the broadcast bands. This device looks much too small to handle 70 kW continuous.

Additionally, I don't believe a broadcast band would be anyone's first choice for operating medical diagnostic equipment, especially not at 70 kW.

This unit is so weird. I don't really know what industry it fits best in. In that researchers thesis, he was able to use it to successfully generate thermoacoustic images for human tissue (cancer detection). But I was also told this unit could be used for a ham radio linear amplifier.

The waveguides shown in the pictures are a giveaway: This is microwave equipment, not broadcast.
Interesting. The original manufacturer Radio-Research Instrument Co. produced a number of these units for the broadcast radio. I received very profitable offer from a renowned radio station owner. I guess he knows something we don't know? He has bought units like this in the past. But he was the first person I offered this to for sale. I was wanting to list it on eBay to see if I got any bigger bites first.

One of the very few hits I see for Radio Research Instrument Co. is as a microwave equipment manufacturer with a listing in the 2007 Broadcasting Yearbook (archived by our moderator David). That suggests they might have manufactured equipment for television network operation in the pre-satellite era - 1950s to early 1980s, and perhaps they had other products that kept the company afloat through the 90s and 2000s.

I do not know anything about this particular model. But if the above is an accurate description, this unit is obsolete and your market would be collectors or scrappers.

There are some engineers on here who have worked in television long before me, who might see this and be able to comment further.

One of the very few hits I see for Radio Research Instrument Co. is as a microwave equipment manufacturer with a listing in the 2007 Broadcasting Yearbook (archived by our moderator David). That suggests they might have manufactured equipment for television network operation in the pre-satellite era - 1950s to early 1980s, and perhaps they had other products that kept the company afloat through the 90s and 2000s.

I do not know anything about this particular model. But if the above is an accurate description, this unit is obsolete and your market would be collectors or scrappers.

There are some engineers on here who have worked in television long before me, who might see this and be able to comment further.

I know the radio station operator who made me an offer bought plenty of equipment from Radio Research Instrument Co. I doubt he is collecting units like this for fun. He knows something we don't, like how to properly operate this unit. If I can't find more leads, or sell this on eBay when I list it soon, I will have to take his offer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom