• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hello London

M

Musicradio

My wife is headed for a trip to London in the next few days.
Any tips on what she will find there?

What's the best things to see or do in London?

Any tips appreciated.

Any jocks over there want to trade a radio station t-shirt?

> My wife is headed for a trip to London in the next few days.
>
> Any tips on what she will find there?

As a Brit, I would rank London as the Greatest City in the World, followed by NYC in a close second..

What would she find?

How about some of the most famous landmarks in the world..
Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, St Pauls, Hyde Park, Trafalgar Square, Tower of London; where you pay extra to go see the Crown Jewels! Tower Bridge (NO IT ISNT LONDON BRIDGE - Thats the next one down on the Thames - pronounced TEMS not THHHH AIMS.. hehe!) Where does she want to go?

London Eye - soaring 400 feet into the air.. Best suggestion, call ahead book her ticket and pick it up the day she travels - cuts all the lines, and the view is worth it - takes about 45 mins for the trip!

Take a River Boat from The Eye up to The Tower.. Get to see things you wont see from the top of a double decker bus.

Travel around London using a Travelcard.. Pay one price - unlimited travel after 9am on The Tube (dont use Subway!) buses and trains depending on which zones it covers. For travel information GOOGLE: TRANSPORT FOR LONDON - Maps, tickets etc can be found on the TFL website!

Radio listening? Well must admit CAPITAL RADIO 95.8FM has always been my favourite, but across the dial - plenty of choices!

Outside Central London, Windsor Castle, Hampton Court - tell her to get lost in the Maze!! ;-)

Day trips by mainline train - York to the north (GNER.CO.UK) for train times and tickets from Kings Cross.

What do you want to eat? Name the country, find the restaurant! Indian, Chinese, American, gotta have Fish n Chips at least once!

From Heathrow to Central London.. Heathrow Express is fast, but I think overpriced! Piccadily Line trains run into Central London, or Airbus, (three routes last time I looked are another way to the city.

If she is arriving at Gatwick, then Gatwick Express is the best way to Victoria Station. If she is flying on Virgin Atlantic, she may want to call and ask if she gets a complimentary train ticket, or discount since Virgin operate Gatwick Express too..

Hope that helps a little!

Geoff
SwingFM Newport RI
BBC Herts/Beds & Bucks Early Riser Correspondent

> What's the best things to see or do in London?
>
> Any tips appreciated.
>
> Any jocks over there want to trade a radio station t-shirt?
>

> > My wife is headed for a trip to London in the next few
> days.
> >
> > Any tips on what she will find there?
>
> As a Brit, I would rank London as the Greatest City in the
> World, followed by NYC in a close second..
>
> What would she find?
>
> How about some of the most famous landmarks in the world..
> Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, St Pauls, Hyde
> Park, Trafalgar Square, Tower of London; where you pay extra
> to go see the Crown Jewels! Tower Bridge (NO IT ISNT LONDON
> BRIDGE - Thats the next one down on the Thames - pronounced
> TEMS not THHHH AIMS.. hehe!) Where does she want to go?
>

I also highly recommend the British Museum... for a start it's FREE.

Plus Shakespeare's globe theatre on the South Bank - an authentic reconstruction of the original Elizabethan theatre, has an amazing atmosphere.

And there's lots of great parks to relax in if it's sunny...

> Day trips by mainline train - York to the north (GNER.CO.UK)
> for train times and tickets from Kings Cross.

As a University of York graduate ;-) I highly recommend this trip! It takes a couple of hours on the train, but would give a great perspective on historical England. If you book far enough in advance, you'd get really good value tickets.

> From Heathrow to Central London.. Heathrow Express is fast,
> but I think overpriced!

Agreed about the overpriced, but it is a good service. Here is a tip for you, sign up for the WorldPoints scheme via the BAA Airports website. It's a savings card for British Airports, and is free. You don't need to ever use it again (you can tear it up) but you get 100 free points on them. 50 points equals a half price journey on the Heathrow Express! You get the number on the spot if you sign up online, and then you can book tickets for collection via the website also.

I know it's a bit short notice for these tips, but it can't harm to know them. I hope she enjoys her visit to England!

Owen
Englishman in Canada!<P ID="signature">______________
Owen</P>

> From Heathrow to Central London.. Heathrow Express is fast,
> but I think overpriced! Piccadily Line trains run into
> Central London, or Airbus, (three routes last time I looked
> are another way to the city.
>
They now have Heathrow Connect, with stops at Southall and a couple of other stations on the same line. A few minutes longer, but the same route and much cheaper!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom