• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Heavy Metal Station

I don't understand the post but I do wonder if there have ever been any pure metal stations in the US over the airwaves either on AM or FM - a station similar to Sirius/XM's Liquid Metal.

Saladressing said:
I don't understand the post but I do wonder if there have ever been any pure metal stations in the US over the airwaves either on AM or FM - a station similar to Sirius/XM's Liquid Metal.

KNAC in LA 86-94 would be the closest. We played a lot of mainstream bands like Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and the like, but we also played Slayer, Testament, Anthrax...etc.. in all dayparts.

107.1 HD-2 "No Control Radio" in Austin,TX plays metal 24/7.

Yes WXZL 103.1 was "The Underground" for a while. It was an incarnation of Baltimores 97 Underground which is now an internet only station.

Seton Hall University's WSOU 89.5 is nearly all metal and hard rock minus community programming and some specialty shows

There was the national Z-Rock format "off-the-bird" (satellite) that a number of FM stations took for awhile in, what was it, the mid-late 1980s?

lp said:
Saladressing said:

KNAC in LA 86-94 would be the closest. We played a lot of mainstream bands like Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and the like, but we also played Slayer, Testament, Anthrax...etc.. in all dayparts.

Aaah, the late great KNAC! I was living in Los Angeles at the time it was on the air and I listened to it every chance I had, which wasn't very often because its wimpy signal wouldn't reach the San Fernando Valley.

johnbasalla said:
There was the national Z-Rock format "off-the-bird" (satellite) that a number of FM stations took for awhile in, what was it, the mid-late 1980s?

Z-Rock originally had a few FM affiliates when it started up about 1986 or 7. When those broadcasters abandoned the service (save for KZRK in the Dallas area), SMN made an appeal for AM stations to pick up the format, and several did. Things were going along well and in 1990 or so, Lee Abrams came along to consult. Unfortunately, because he wanted to make the format more appealing to FM broadcasters, he needed to 'water the format' down with more mainstream programming. Listeners began to reject this and started to abandon the format. Moreover, the musical scene was changing by about 1992 or 3, and Z-Rock didn't adapt. The format continued on a few affiliates until about 1996, when it went kaput.

http://www.zrockready.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ZRockReady

klutch00 said:
Things were going along well and in 1990 or so, Lee Abrams came along to consult. Unfortunately, because he wanted to make the format more appealing to FM broadcasters, he needed to 'water the format' down with more mainstream programming.

KNAC brought Lee in too. In that first meeting he proclaimed; "Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are dead." Within a week we were pounding Green Day. Yeah, thanks, Lee! %$%#@*&!&

johnbasalla said:
Also AM. It's unbelieveable this wasn't a success on WROQ Charlotte, NC, which had been standards as Big WAYS, a name used when the station was Top 40. Months later it was oldies and let those great letters get away.

I remember "We don't brake for wimps".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom