• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD RADIO- Why?

B

bluescreen

HD RADIO- Why?

Santa's gone for another year so I can be an early-year grinch and spend the rest of the year atoning for it and hopefully not get a chunk of coal in my stocking.

Why are we wasting time, effort, and most of all money on HD radio? HD is going nowhere until the price of the receivers come down and the automakers start placing them in cars on a wide scale.

Even then what have we gained? We are going up against the wrong freakin competition. Portable listening devices such as MP3 players are taking away more listeners than XM or Sirius.

What have the bigwigs done to respond to these threats? Dumbed down radio to make it sound even more like a jukebox so we have an even harder time standing out in the crowd. Instead of adding value to radio, we're making the choice to leave the medium even easier. It's coming down to 2 choices. Free jukebox with 18 minutes of commercials per hour or $150 jukebox with all my favorite songs, played in the order I choose them, with no commercials.

Am I the only one who realizes that terrestrial radio is slitting its own throat? Pinning it's future on a very expensive niche like HD? At a time when ad revenues are flat or declining, folks at corporate are looking for any excuse to cut expenses and I guarantee programming will suffer long before we curtail spending on HD. It's a waste. Bah humbug.

HD RADIO- Why?

rbrucecarter5 said:
Uh - 107.5 has been "Movin" for a long time. If you are going to plant a pro-IBOC post, at least give accurate, up to date information. I seriously doubt "Movin" is still putting Jazz on its HD-2 channel.

Personally I just don't see the hatred and animosity toward HD Radio that's all over this board.

The original poster didn't "plant a pro-IBOC post" he was just giving his opinions. From his commentary, it's obvious that he has listened to the stations.

I can't believe people here feel this threatened by discussion of HD Radio.

HD RADIO- Why?

ElCheapo said:

I am not threatened by discussion of HD radio. The radio dial is threatened - particularly AM - by the insane levels of adjacent channel noise caused by the scheme. If IBOC was truly "in channel" and not slopping onto adjacent channels - I don't think there would be a single opponent. It would be a welcome addition to an aging medium. But the principle in American justice has always been that your freedom ends where somebody else's nose begins. In radio terms, keep your signal within its assigned channel and don't slop it over onto neighboring frequencies. AM bandwidth has been too wide for years - that is a separate issue that can be addressed outside of the IBOC debate. But IBOC sidebands are interference out of all proportion to the meager benefits they provide. And I, for one, will be very happy when the whole thing implodes from lack of consumer acceptance, and IBOC is slowly turned off across the country - restoring both the AM and FM bands to previous quality.

HD RADIO- Why?

ElCheapo said:
Personally I just don't see the hatred and animosity toward HD Radio that's all over this board.

The original poster didn't "plant a pro-IBOC post" he was just giving his opinions. From his commentary, it's obvious that he has listened to the stations.

I don't feel threatened by it, either. I'm simply looking at the cost/benefit analysis of it. Any good estimate as to how many people in DFW currently own an HD receiver? I'd be willing to bet you it's less than 1000. Now, how many people in DFW own an IPOD or some other digital media player? I'd be willing to bet that's around 10% or roughly 470,000.

What I do hate is this stupid, misguided focus on satellite radio as our chief concern right now. It's not. While we're trying to be a free satellite alternative we're getting our tails kicked by the IPODs of the world.

I like the promise of FM quality sound on AM. The effect on FM won't be as noticeable. 32kHz to near 44.1kHz isn't that big of a jump. Regardless, we're wasting a lot of time and effort on the wrong threat to the industry, almost to the point of making it a red herring.

HD RADIO- Why?

bluescreen said:
Santa's gone for another year so I can be an early-year grinch and spend the rest of the year atoning for it and hopefully not get a chunk of coal in my stocking.

Why are we wasting time, effort, and most of all money on HD radio? HD is going nowhere until the price of the receivers come down and the automakers start placing them in cars on a wide scale.

Even then what have we gained? We are going up against the wrong freakin competition. Portable listening devices such as MP3 players are taking away more listeners than XM or Sirius.

What have the bigwigs done to respond to these threats? Dumbed down radio to make it sound even more like a jukebox so we have an even harder time standing out in the crowd. Instead of adding value to radio, we're making the choice to leave the medium even easier. It's coming down to 2 choices. Free jukebox with 18 minutes of commercials per hour or $150 jukebox with all my favorite songs, played in the order I choose them, with no commercials.

Am I the only one who realizes that terrestrial radio is slitting its own throat? Pinning it's future on a very expensive niche like HD? At a time when ad revenues are flat or declining, folks at corporate are looking for any excuse to cut expenses and I guarantee programming will suffer long before we curtail spending on HD. It's a waste. Bah humbug.

As i have believed for years the vehicle for radio listening and everything else will be internet streaming. I think it was Ford that announced last week they're installing a "Computer" on board and with WIFI improving every year the future is Internet Streaming. Eventuall everything will be streaming. Satellite radio will be available but the majority will be with internet streaming. The choices will be mind boggling!

There are so many talented pd/jocks out of work. Have you listened to some of these internet stations? I mean they sound incredible! Creative, Innovative, Cutting edge programming. In many cases these Internet stations blow away most of the Cumulus, CC, CBS, Cox, etc stations. Even the websites are very creative AND ineractive. Have you seen Cox's websites? Ther're ALL the same. Typical Corporate BLANDNESS.

Of course the big boys will be first and foremost on the new internet with their big bucks but fINALLY Joe Blow and Jane Doe can put on there own station and compete.

It's a new world out there kids. Grasp it or fade away........

HD RADIO- Why?

I suppose I just have a different take on HD than many others here. I see it as an opportunity, for both the industry and the people who work in it.

It seems that radio as an industry is slowly coming to the realization that it needs talent and quality programming to survive. The current trend toward privatization seems to indicate this.

HD2 channels will provide a lot of opportunity for programming people in the coming years.

HD RADIO- Why?

rbrucecarter5 said:
ElCheapo said:

I am not threatened by discussion of HD radio. The radio dial is threatened - particularly AM - by the insane levels of adjacent channel noise caused by the scheme. If IBOC was truly "in channel" and not slopping onto adjacent channels - I don't think there would be a single opponent. It would be a welcome addition to an aging medium. But the principle in American justice has always been that your freedom ends where somebody else's nose begins. In radio terms, keep your signal within its assigned channel and don't slop it over onto neighboring frequencies. AM bandwidth has been too wide for years - that is a separate issue that can be addressed outside of the IBOC debate. But IBOC sidebands are interference out of all proportion to the meager benefits they provide. And I, for one, will be very happy when the whole thing implodes from lack of consumer acceptance, and IBOC is slowly turned off across the country - restoring both the AM and FM bands to previous quality.

I'm in TOTAL agreement with you Carter!

HD RADIO- Why?

TheLaffer said:
As i have believed for years the vehicle for radio listening and everything else will be internet streaming. I think it was Ford that announced last week they're installing a "Computer" on board and with WIFI

You said a mouthful. For years I have wanted a WAY-FM outlet in the DFW area. I had one in Florida but had to DX to get it. Give me reliable wideband internet streaming, and I'll NEVER be back to locals!!! Multiply my crazy desire for a niche format by the thousands of stations streaming - and the millions of people who like niche formats - and you have the death of local radio as we know it.

Now - my daughter and her friend think KOB FM is the best top 40 they ever heard. I know people that like Red FM out of St. Louis. A lot of people posting here who like classic country. Others moaning the death of smooth jazz or oldies. What you have - is an opportunity. Satellite BLEW it when they only offered a couple of hundred channels. When thousands are available, suddenly you will have listeners to your station all over the country. Maybe some people scattered around the country will think "The Bone" is "the bomb" and replace local listeners who switch to other classic rock stations. It may all even out - and local listeners lost will be replaced by worldwide listeners. It is a new challenge for advertising - much more nationally focused than locally. But I see a lot of hope. But NOT for mediocrity. People will be able to choose the BEST of the BEST stations playing formats - blogs and word of mouth will quickly winnow out the lesser stations. Suppose KOB FM really is the best - it won't take long for it to garner millions of listeners at the expense of every other top 40 station. And so forth among every format. So minor variations of the format may be the best hope to cater to a slightly different demographic that is dissatisfied with the big player. Thousands of formats and variations instead of a few dozen. It is inevitable. No more cookie cutting - it will be cutthroating. Survival of the fittest formats, because streaming levels the playing field and every station can be heard everywhere.

Looking way into the future - what station owner in their right mind wouldn't be pleased at the prospect of not having to worry about transmitters, tower, STL, etc. All unreliable, expensive to maintain. In the distant future, direct reception will probably be an anachronism - and all listening done via streaming.

Re: HD RADIO- Why?

rbrucecarter5 said:
ElCheapo said:

Exactly!

TheLaffer said:
bluescreen said:

As i have believed for years the vehicle for radio listening and everything else will be internet streaming. I think it was Ford that announced last week they're installing a "Computer" on board and with WIFI improving every year the future is Internet Streaming. Eventuall everything will be streaming. Satellite radio will be available but the majority will be with internet streaming. The choices will be mind boggling!

Although internet broadcasting offers great promise there are some major flies in the ointment that need addressing.

One involves the outrageous royalty fees webcasters have to pay not only to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC but also to SoundExchange based upon the mistaken belief that listeners can "RIP" CD-quality music from the webstreams and that internet radio offers little promotional value compared to terrestrial radio. Apparently the record companies, in a desperate attempt to augment sagging CD sales, want to triple the royalty rates webcasters currently pay. This will effectively put out of business most small webcasters and create an environment in which only Clear Channel-like companies will be able to afford to broadcast on the internet. It will be corporate radio revisted.

The other fly is the unreliability of DSL connections. Verizon is probably the worst offender. Many that I know of who use Verizon for DSL have had their service disconnected without warning and were forced to wait days for it to be reconnected. But Earthlink and others have been no better.

So while internet radio is promising these issues will have to be addressed if it is to be the future killer app for radio.

db

Personally, I'm just glad what somehow passes for a moderator here moved this discussion of Dallas HD over to the webcasting board.

Speaking of DSL - mine's out because it's raining again, lol. :mad:

Thanks, Bellsouth! Cable service at my previous residence wasn't much better at first, but then was rock solid for years.

WiMax proponents act like we'll be able to stream anything anywhere. But the truth is, the coverage will have to be there first. There are places here in Mississippi where the only cellular coverage is freakin' analog. WiMax should be the first thing tossed out into the boonies so those folks can finally have fast reliable internet access. But the money will be in the big rich cities at first. Just like cellular.

I'm not holding my breath that WiMax will ever blanket this state, or even my county, in my lifetime. Hopefully I'll have moved on to greener pastures in another state by then!

HD radio needs to focus more on competing against MP3 players and not satellite radio, as bluescreen said. But how will it compete? That's the next question that needs answering.

If y'all go to the XM forums on other sites, they're bashing Sirius when they should be fighting together against the injustices terrestrial radio is thrusting on them with these absurb royalties, just like they're trying to do to webcasters. This problem of infighting is apparently widespread.

It's unfortunate that this HD thing may be successful, in part, because the NAB has deep pockets and the ears of the government, whereas XM, Sirius, Worldspace and all the streamers in the world do not.

And frankly, we geeks hate what HD is doing to AM, but the consumer couldn't care less. The few that will notice the degredation to their favorite Clear Channel talkers' analog signal probably won't care. In fact, it may even discourage as many as it encourages in upgrading! Never underestimate the uneducated, misled masses.

Zach said:
Speaking of DSL - mine's out because it's raining again, lol. :mad:

Thanks, Bellsouth! Cable service at my previous residence wasn't much better at first, but then was rock solid for years.

WiMax proponents act like we'll be able to stream anything anywhere. But the truth is, the coverage will have to be there first. There are places here in Mississippi where the only cellular coverage is freakin' analog. WiMax should be the first thing tossed out into the boonies so those folks can finally have fast reliable internet access. But the money will be in the big rich cities at first. Just like cellular.

I'm not holding my breath that WiMax will ever blanket this state, or even my county, in my lifetime. Hopefully I'll have moved on to greener pastures in another state by then!

HD radio needs to focus more on competing against MP3 players and not satellite radio, as bluescreen said. But how will it compete? That's the next question that needs answering.

If y'all go to the XM forums on other sites, they're bashing Sirius when they should be fighting together against the injustices terrestrial radio is thrusting on them with these absurb royalties, just like they're trying to do to webcasters. This problem of infighting is apparently widespread.

It's unfortunate that this HD thing may be successful, in part, because the NAB has deep pockets and the ears of the government, whereas XM, Sirius, Worldspace and all the streamers in the world do not.

And frankly, we geeks hate what HD is doing to AM, but the consumer couldn't care less. The few that will notice the degredation to their favorite Clear Channel talkers' analog signal probably won't care. In fact, it may even discourage as many as it encourages in upgrading! Never underestimate the uneducated, misled masses.

There is on-going billion-dollar work with WiMax, so undoubtly, it will eventually be enabled most everywhere - as for HD Radio, receivers are not selling, so no matter what the NAB/Alliance does, HD Radio is going to fail.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom