• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has WZLQ flipped to classic rock?

Has WZLQ Tupelo flipped to classic rock? Seems like yesterday they were playing Limp Bizkit and Nine Inch Nails, and today it's nearly all classic rock. Nice for me, since there's no classic rock station in central Mississippi, but I kind of wonder the point, with the Potts Camp station and WSMS already serving the parts of the area.

Anyone know the fate of the John Boy/Billy morning show (yuck) and Loveline (meh)?

Driving through on Sunday afternoon, ZLQ played many of the same songs we heard driving through on Saturday. It wasn't a loop, but it was close. I can only hope that they expand the playlist some.

Zach said:
Has WZLQ Tupelo flipped to classic rock? Seems like yesterday they were playing Limp Bizkit and Nine Inch Nails, and today it's nearly all classic rock. Nice for me, since there's no classic rock station in central Mississippi, but I kind of wonder the point, with the Potts Camp station and WSMS already serving the parts of the area.

Anyone know the fate of the John Boy/Billy morning show (yuck) and Loveline (meh)?

It is probably pretty smart.... When you get into Tupelo proper, URBan Radio is rebroadcasting WTUP on a translator at 99.9. That pretty much has put an end to WSMS getting into the market. WKOR is blocked out by a LPFM at 94.9, so now Cumulus has very little hope of selling in Tupelo. (Meanwhile the Dowdy's have two powerhouses that might merit a salesman in Meridian, Tuscaloosa, and Greenville!! ;))

That Potts Camp FM is classic rock from the ABC satellite format. I think a local, well executed format especially on a 100kw stick will do better than something off the bird any day...

So what's up with the processing at this station? The only time I was able to get a clear signal was around Water Valley, south of Oxford, and the high end is tweaked way up while the stereo separation is kind of flat. It didn't sound very good, especially with the signal being kind of weak.

Hate to bring back an old thread from the grave, but I haven't been able to pick WZLQ up over here east of I-65 in a very long time because my antenna has been messed up for the past 3 years. Just now came across it today and I'm enjoying it. Sure it's the same old classic rock that you can hear on almost any classic rock station, but it's the little amount of commercials they're running that's making it enjoyable for me. Hoping that now my antenna is fixed it will pick up more often here and that it's not just a good tropo day.

BamaWOLF said:
Hate to bring back an old thread from the grave, but I haven't been able to pick WZLQ up over here east of I-65 in a very long time because my antenna has been messed up for the past 3 years. Just now came across it today and I'm enjoying it. Sure it's the same old classic rock that you can hear on almost any classic rock station, but it's the little amount of commercials they're running that's making it enjoyable for me. Hoping that now my antenna is fixed it will pick up more often here and that it's not just a good tropo day.

When I lived in Grenada I had a dog of a time getting them clearly. They're co-located with country WWMS "Miss 97" but for some reason always have been weaker than Miss 97 all over the state.

Although I hated the processing, they at least seemed to have some very local hosts on during the day and afternoon hours, which gave the station some personality.

Looks like it might not be tropo after all, will not pick up in the car at all, the entire 20 miles to work, but it's still solid in the house on my DX rig, other than the occasional interference from 98.5 in Cookeville TN. Also nothing else from MS picking up except WOWL (WWMS blocked by WLLX Lawrenceburg TN). Wonder if they recently fixed whatever was wrong with the signal, or if i just forgot how sensitive my antenna actually was before i put the signal amp on it, and stupidly used a leaky cable on it, where i couldn't change it out for 3 years because the pool was in the way.

It was Classic Rock a few years ago, too. It went from Mix 99, 98.5 ZLQ (Top 40), Classic Rock, then we leaned it to active and it became the true Z 98.5. I visited my old station while I was in Tupelo the other day. I miss afternoons but Dodson's doing a good job as is Jax in the middays.

Burks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom