• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hard To Find 45 versions- And Where To Get Them!

firepoint525 said:
Isn't Bobby Pedrick the same singer who later rose to fame as Robert John? If there is falsetto singing on that particular song, then it is probably him.
Good Eye....yes, Robert John is infact Bobby Pedrick(Real Name)...other artists that I found on this series under different names:
Lugee and the lions- Lou Christie (Real name Lugee Sacco)
Bonnie Jo mason - Cher
Tom and Jerry - Simon and Garfunkle

and very rare cuts Like:

At The Hop - Nick Todd (Pat Boones Brother)
leave me alone - Bill Velline (Bobby Vee's brother)
Universal Soldier - Glen Campbell
Silkie said:
Hornet, you have enough material in that paragraph to cover lots of threads on the 50/60s board. Good stuff.
Thanks, rare stuff is always fun to explore... especially things like competing version of hits (Davy Crockett #1 for Bill hays) that didn't chart like the one referenced below by Walter Schuman.

Stephen Bishop did a nifty little version of The Ballad of Davy Crockett as well.

Silkie said:
Stephen Bishop did a nifty little version of The Ballad of Davy Crockett as well.
Wow, would have never associated Bishop would Davy Crockett, I love his work on Animal House
"Deam Girl" and "Animal House".

I must correct my previous statement Walter Shuman charted #15 with Davy Crockett,
Fess Parker(5), Ernie Ford(5) and Bill Hays (1). Now there is another version I have to hunt down I thought the only 4 out there, thanks

Silkie said:
hornet61 said:
Silkie said:
Wow, would have never associated Bishop would Davy Crockett, I love his work on Animal House
I must correct my previous statement Walter Shuman charted #15 with Davy Crockett,
Fess Parker(5), Ernie Ford(5) and Bill Hays (1). Now there is another version I have to hunt down I thought the only 4 out there, thanks
Kentucky Headhunters charted with a version of "Davy Crockett," probably intended strictly for the country charts. It hit in the early '90s, so it is a much more recent version of "Davy Crockett." They were the Kentucky Headhunters, but they sang about a man from Tennessee. 8)

firepoint525 said:
Silkie said:
hornet61 said:
Silkie said:
Kentucky Headhunters charted with a version of "Davy Crockett," probably intended strictly for the country charts. It hit in the early '90s, so it is a much more recent version of "Davy Crockett." They were the Kentucky Headhunters, but they sang about a man from Tennessee. 8)
Yes, i remember now,After "Dumas Walker" If i remember correctly...

hornet61 said:
firepoint525 said:
Dumas Walker was a real man. I remember it making the news when he died. According to the song, you could get a "slawburger, fries, and a bottle of Ski" at his place. I had never heard of a "slawburger," but being from Memphis, I had already eaten barbecue sandwiches with slaw in them. Still never had a bottle of "Ski," though.

Getting this back on topic, has anyone tried finding any of the 28 versions of Tommy Facenda's "High School, USA"? I posted a thread here about it a year or so ago, and since then, a few more versions of it have surfaced on youtube, but still no Memphis or Nashville versions! :'( Grrrr... :mad: Someone help a Tennessean out! 8)

firepoint525 said:
Getting this back on topic, has anyone tried finding any of the 28 versions of Tommy Facenda's "High School, USA"? I posted a thread here about it a year or so ago, and since then, a few more versions of it have surfaced on youtube, but still no Memphis or Nashville versions! :'( Grrrr... :mad: Someone help a Tennessean out! 8)

Here's a site that is pretty good at finding obscure songs (free):

http://www.goldhunt.fsnet.co.uk/Grumpy/

firepoint525 said:
hornet61 said:
firepoint525 said:
Dumas Walker was a real man. I remember it making the news when he died. According to the song, you could get a "slawburger, fries, and a bottle of Ski" at his place. I had never heard of a "slawburger," but being from Memphis, I had already eaten barbecue sandwiches with slaw in them. Still never had a bottle of "Ski," though.

Funny you bring this up a few years back (this is why I love The Foos Brothers at Rhino Records) Rhino released the best of "Highs School USA" with all the versions...and they also released a best of "Louie, louie, including the version by the USC marching band, Pretty cool,huh.

TheFonz said:
firepoint525 said:

Here's a site that is pretty good at finding obscure songs (free):

http://www.goldhunt.fsnet.co.uk/Grumpy/
wow, did you get a load of the archive list and the "wanted" list....nice share system. This is the ultimate site for the rarest of the rare.

This year a fellow collector friend of mine , achieved something I told him was Impossible , he completed his 20 year mission of collecting every song that charted (#1thru #100) on Billboard Hot 100 ,1955-1982 per that edition of the Whitburn Hot 100 singles book 55-82. This icluded any form(no matter what condition), vinyl, tape (cassette, reel, or 8 track), cd. At 67 yrs of age a couple years ago i told Him "Ray you will not achieve this in your lifetime" To my complete amazment he did it early 2011...now he is in the process of "Phase 2" of this disease called Record Collecting, UPGRADING, replacing the crappy versions he settled for in his qeuest..
The number of songs is a bit under 19,000 cuts.

hornet61 said:
This year a fellow collector friend of mine , achieved something I told him was Impossible , he completed his 20 year mission of collecting every song that charted (#1thru #100) on Billboard Hot 100 ,1955-1982 per that edition of the Whitburn Hot 100 singles book 55-82. This icluded any form(no matter what condition), vinyl, tape (cassette, reel, or 8 track), cd. At 67 yrs of age a couple years ago i told Him "Ray you will not achieve this in your lifetime" To my complete amazment he did it early 2011...now he is in the process of "Phase 2" of this disease called Record Collecting, UPGRADING, replacing the crappy versions he settled for in his qeuest..

How's this for a collection:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/billboard-hits-1946-2010-with-double-sided-singles-202925620

TheFonz said:
hornet61 said:

How's this for a collection:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/billboard-hits-1946-2010-with-double-sided-singles-202925620
This is another good site for the rare cuts, I like their share system and their archive list is pretty extensive......Speaking of Rare, another site, GVC records this week provided me with a copy of Bobby Charles Greatest hits which I had been seeking for almost five years. Ironically Bobby Charles (real name Robert Frank guidry) died jan of this year. He wrote and recorded "See You later Alligator, On Bended Knee and Don't Know Why I Love You, But I Do..those were made more famous by Bill Haley and Clarence Frogman Henry respectively ...Many listeners prefer His version of "On Bended Knee".

hornet61 said:
TheFonz said:
This is another good site for the rare cuts, I like their share system and their archive list is pretty extensive......Speaking of Rare, another site, GVC records this week provided me with a copy of Bobby Charles Greatest hits which I had been seeking for almost five years. Ironically Bobby Charles (real name Robert Frank guidry) died jan of this year. He wrote and recorded "See You later Alligator, On Bended Knee and Don't Know Why I Love You, But I Do..those were made more famous by Bill Haley and Clarence Frogman Henry respectively ...Many listeners prefer His version of "On Bended Knee".
Actually, its not a share system. $35 gets you all of the Billboard Top 50 songs from 1946 thru 1951 and all of the Billboard Top 100 songs from 1952 thru 2010. In mp3 format, on DVDRs. Wow!

In many cases beginning in the late 70's, alot of versions heard on the radio were promo only edit versions that were shorter than the stock 45 single.Rod Stewart "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy", Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue", John Cougar "Jack And Diane" to name a few. I'm a collector of promo 7" and 12" singles and also stock 7" singles that I have not yet aquired on a promo. Those 50's through early 70's mono mixes sound so good!!!

Fastphilly said:
In many cases beginning in the late 70's, alot of versions heard on the radio were promo only edit versions that were shorter than the stock 45 single.Rod Stewart "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy", Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue", John Cougar "Jack And Diane" to name a few. I'm a collector of promo 7" and 12" singles and also stock 7" singles that I have not yet aquired on a promo. Those 50's through early 70's mono mixes sound so good!!!
That seems like a sneaky way of making music buyers actually think that they are getting a good deal when they buy that "longer" single. Or it could be that radio stations were actually demanding those even shorter edits. I am not aware of any of these examples that you mentioned, but I can think of a few of my own in which the 45 was actually longer than what was typically being played on the radio, like "Dazz" by Brick, and the Paul McCartney & Wings singles "Silly Love Songs" and "With a Little Luck." I'm sure that most listeners were pleasantly surprised to find those slightly longer versions on their 45s. I know I was! 8)

Captainfirst said:
Okay, does anyone out there know of a legal source for "Time Is On My Side", the original
Kai Winding version? I have it on the "Jerry Ragovoy Story" CD but the damn disc is scratched
beyond repair. Amazon, Napster, whatever. I've checked Rhapsody and Itunes already with no luck.

I sent you a link. Look in your Message box.

TheFonz said:
Captainfirst said:
Okay, does anyone out there know of a legal source for "Time Is On My Side", the original
Kai Winding version? I have it on the "Jerry Ragovoy Story" CD but the damn disc is scratched
beyond repair. Amazon, Napster, whatever. I've checked Rhapsody and Itunes already with no luck.

I sent you a link. Look in your Message box.

Got it, and thanks. I also had someone else offer to help out, so thanks to that person as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom