• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Grupo ACIR finds God, Launches Luz 15.90 in DF

¿Isn't that the former All-Traffic station? As go0d of an idea as that may have been in el D.F., given the loyalty Mexican's have to their radio station, there's not a whole lot of dial surfing, so I couldn't imagine many listeners breaking away from their listening habits to tune into an all traffic station when the station they were most likely listening to while driving already provided traffic.

mimo said:
¿Isn't that the former All-Traffic station? As go0d of an idea as that may have been in el D.F., given the loyalty Mexican's have to their radio station, there's not a whole lot of dial surfing, so I couldn't imagine many listeners breaking away from their listening habits to tune into an all traffic station when the station they were most likely listening to while driving already provided traffic.

Most of the music stations did not provide traffic, although many of the news talk stations on both AM and FM do. The real issue is that in a city where such a small percentage of people own cars, traffic reports are not very important.

As to loyalty, Mexico City has about as disloyal an audience as you find anywhere. Up until Arbitron left Mexico last year, the average listener tuned to more stations in the DF than the average per diarykeeper in the US. With over 60 stations to pick from, and commercial loads that are much higher than in the US, changing from station to station was very high in Mexico City. The other issue, which is very significant, is that the high commercial loads caused nearly 30% of the people not to listen at all in a given week, a figure about four times higher than in the US.

On this subject, I've read that 930 AM in Mérida in the Yucatán is relaying Radio Maria México at least some of the time. If this is true, that would be two stations doing so-- XELT 920 AM in Guadalajara being the first and flagship. But the owner says he will not renew the lease of XELT.

For Mérida, see http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=17$3100000000$3716791&f=20071230

I think that Mexico City listening habits would be very different from the rest of Mexico. With all the choices and everything. With so many stations offering similar formats, you have at least a few options if you like a particular format, and if you like multiple genres of music, the dials, both AM and FM are wide open to you. I've read in other places (and heard from the Mexican's I've known) that they've been pretty loyal to just one or two stations. In a city like the Capital, I don't think I'd even have a favourite station, there's just to0 much go0d stuff to listen to.

Relating to the main topic of the thread..It seems as if a bunch of new religious stations are being launched in Mexico. ¿Wasn't one launched earlier this week in Juarez?

mimo said:
I think that Mexico City listening habits would be very different from the rest of Mexico. With all the choices and everything. With so many stations offering similar formats, you have at least a few options if you like a particular format, and if you like multiple genres of music, the dials, both AM and FM are wide open to you.

Listening habits in cities like Guadalajara and Monterrey are very similar to those of Mexico City. The average listener has 4 or more stations they use, and generally most are of different formats, dependent on mood or need. This is common all over Latin America, from Argentina to Perú to Puerto Rico, too. In the US, there is more of a tendency to listen to stations that are similar by non-Hispanics, while Hispanics will have a favorite staiton in each of several genres.

In the US, Hispanics in markets with multiple stations are similarly "disloyal" and use a variety of formats and stations.

I've read in other places (and heard from the Mexican's I've known) that they've been pretty loyal to just one or two stations. In a city like the Capital, I don't think I'd even have a favourite station, there's just to0 much go0d stuff to listen to.

Loyalty is, in all Latin America, much less than is found in the US among non-Hispanics. The overcommercialization, particularly in Mexico, makes people a bit unloyal to radio in general, as radio usage is low.

Relating to the main topic of the thread..It seems as if a bunch of new religious stations are being launched in Mexico. ¿Wasn't one launched earlier this week in Juarez?

Until relatively recently, religious radio was not permitted in Mexico, so the genre is just getting started. Remember, one of the concepts of the Revolution and its aftermath was keeping religion in the churches and off the streets, a consequence or reaction to the Cristeros vs. Liberales "virtual" civil war during the third Porfirismo.

It's not unusual to find religious broadcaster along the US border. They've seen the money their American neighbors make brokering time to local aspiring evangelists. Paid air time is paid air time especially for a struggling AM. But the target audience is usually on the American side.

Now that it is mentioned here, I've acutally never noticed how there are none or very little Religious Broadcasters in the Republic of Mexico.

I guess that is what happens when even in Large markets, there are still independent radio owners. That's nice.

oldjohnny said:
Now that it is mentioned here, I've acutally never noticed how there are none or very little Religious Broadcasters in the Republic of Mexico.

I guess that is what happens when even in Large markets, there are still independent radio owners. That's nice.

There are two factors... first, such an immense percentage of the population is nominally Catholic, and, second, religious radio was not permitted until quite recently.

DavidEduardo said:
The real issue is that in a city where such a small percentage of people own cars, traffic reports are not very important.

Then why so many traffic jams?

There was also a similar station in Los Angeles (the Mexico City of the North haha). It also didn't last more than a year or two, I think.

StephanieNYC said:
DavidEduardo said:
The real issue is that in a city where such a small percentage of people own cars, traffic reports are not very important.

Lots of taxis, busses and commercial vehicles, plus a lot of private cars in a city with very few limited access roadways. Add in population density that is several times that of a US city and 23 million persons in the metro.

There was also a similar station in Los Angeles (the Mexico City of the North haha). It also didn't last more than a year or two, I think.

Yeah, KHJ's Car Radio.

DavidEduardo said:
StephanieNYC said:
DavidEduardo said:

Lots of taxis, busses and commercial vehicles, plus a lot of private cars in a city with very few limited access roadways. Add in population density that is several times that of a US city and 23 million persons in the metro.

It's up to the point where a mexican citizen is affected and can only access his/her car on certain days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom