• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Greater Media rumored close to turning on WPEN's operation from WWDB's site

If the rumor I've heard is true, Greater Media is close to beginning testing of WPEN's new 21-kW night signal at the WWDB site. GM is rumored to have spent close to 1.5 million on improvements to the E Norriton facility. I'm guessing that sum must include a new 50-kW transmitter--even though the night power specified in the CP is 21 kW. Supposedly one of the four towers at the site was down and WWDB was using three towers under STA. The fourth tower is now allegedly back up. I've never seen the site. Are the guy wires used for top loading? Apparently, the top loads have been replaced. Maybe the ground system was replaced; it's one of the things that nearly always deteriorates badly over a period of several decades.

I would think that as soon as WPEN's new phasor is in place, WWDB would move temporarily to WPEN's site, from which it would either operate ND at significantly reduced power or perhaps might even use WPEN's three towers (though that might be a bit too complex for a temporary setup). WWDB's temporary move would allow WPEN to operate during the daytime from the 860 site, permitting tuning of the array at 950 and proofs of performance. That project could take several months and the work MUST be done during daylight hours. Once the work was completed, WWDB could move back to E Norriton and when the FCC granted WPEN program test authority, 950 could begin operating at night with higher power--though perhaps initially less than the 21 kW specified by the CP.

There is no word on any progress on WPEN's proposed 50 kW day facilities, which would supposedly be located in or near Collegeville, a few miles west of the WWDB site. If the night upgrade truly is costing $1.5 million, the new day facilities could easily cost $7 million or more--what with land acquisition, construction of six new 600' towers, new building, ground system, 50-kW transmitter, six-tower 50-kW phasor. I wouldn't try holding my breath until THAT gets going.

> I would think that as soon as WPEN's new phasor is in place,
> WWDB would move temporarily to WPEN's site, from which it
> would either operate ND at significantly reduced power or
> perhaps might even use WPEN's three towers (though that
> might be a bit too complex for a temporary setup).

That's a shame because WWDB has an amazing daytime signal, one of the best Philly AM signals.

> > I would think that as soon as WPEN's new phasor is in
> place,
> > WWDB would move temporarily to WPEN's site, from which it
> > would either operate ND at significantly reduced power or
> > perhaps might even use WPEN's three towers (though that
> > might be a bit too complex for a temporary setup).
>
> That's a shame because WWDB has an amazing daytime signal,
> one of the best Philly AM signals.
>
As I said, the reduced-power operation will be only temporary. If the testing, tweaking, and proofing get underway in the next week or two and if the process goes smoothly, WWDB could be back on the air for good from E Norriton by Labor Day. And if there are problems, WPEN is likely to return to its present site for days or weeks at a time while the engineers work out fixes. Since the operation won't be a diplex, the two stations can't both be on the air at the same time from the same site, so whenever WPEN is running from its current site, WWDB will operate from its regular site.

> As I said, the reduced-power operation will be only
> temporary. If the testing, tweaking, and proofing get
> underway in the next week or two and if the process goes
> smoothly, WWDB could be back on the air for good from E
> Norriton by Labor Day. And if there are problems, WPEN is
> likely to return to its present site for days or weeks at a
> time while the engineers work out fixes. Since the operation
> won't be a diplex, the two stations can't both be on the air
> at the same time from the same site, so whenever WPEN is
> running from its current site, WWDB will operate from its
> regular site.
>

As I was passing thru Plymouth Meeting today, a spot where I usually pick up DB very well....860AM was off and WPEN was BOOMING!!! Well, I guess i should say that my radio scanned past 860 and stopped on that wonderful "we love everyone" station known as 900AM WURD. Usually, I get tons of static on WPEN, even during day pattern.

Wonder if WWDB is off the air for now or this is a one day deal?<P ID="signature">______________
FOX News Alert: YOU SUCK!!! Ya like apples?</P>

They're doing it now

> As I was passing thru Plymouth Meeting today, a spot where I
> usually pick up DB very well....860AM was off and WPEN was
> BOOMING!!! Well, I guess i should say that my radio scanned
> past 860 and stopped on that wonderful "we love everyone"
> station known as 900AM WURD. Usually, I get tons of static
> on WPEN, even during day pattern.
>
> Wonder if WWDB is off the air for now or this is a one day
> deal?

On Monday afternoon I also noticed that WPEN was unusually loud and clear on my car radio, even all the way up in the Bridgewater / Somerville area in central NJ! They also thankfully had the IBOC off and crisp, clear analog audio without that horrible 5 kHz bandwidth restriction.

It would be nice if it stayed this way... what use is 860 WWDB anyway? Just a bunch of infomercials and stuff nobody listens to. Of course, you could say the same exact thing about WPEN's programming these days, too, but at least their Oldies music during weekdays isn't all that bad.
<P ID="signature">______________
noiboc.jpg
</P>

Re: They're doing it now

> > As I was passing thru Plymouth Meeting today, a spot where
> I
> > usually pick up DB very well....860AM was off and WPEN was
>
> > BOOMING!!! Well, I guess i should say that my radio
> scanned
> > past 860 and stopped on that wonderful "we love everyone"
> > station known as 900AM WURD. Usually, I get tons of static
>
> > on WPEN, even during day pattern.
> >
> > Wonder if WWDB is off the air for now or this is a one day
>
> > deal?
>
> On Monday afternoon I also noticed that WPEN was unusually
> loud and clear on my car radio, even all the way up in the
> Bridgewater / Somerville area in central NJ! They also
> thankfully had the IBOC off and crisp, clear analog audio
> without that horrible 5 kHz bandwidth restriction.
>
> It would be nice if it stayed this way... what use is 860
> WWDB anyway? Just a bunch of infomercials and stuff nobody
> listens to. Of course, you could say the same exact thing
> about WPEN's programming these days, too, but at least their
> Oldies music during weekdays isn't all that bad.
>

On Monday afternoon I was on Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn NY and I was able to pick up WPEN.

By the way, I find it interesting that other Greater Media stations such as WMTR have started streaming but WPEN is not.

Re: They're doing it now

As I was driving from Freehold, NJ to the Princeton area on Route 33 at mid morning today, WPEN's signal was unusually strong and the audio unusually full. Clearly, stuff is in the works. I hope their night signal is nearly as good - at least in my parts.

Steve
KC2LDY

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom