• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Grand Canyon U. Spots

Grand Canyon University, a small, private school with Baptist affiliation located in Phoenix, has been flooding the L.A. TV market with spots. They run day and night, prime-time, and in other dayparts.

Has anyone read why, or know why they are doing this? Aren't there Prospective Protestant students in Arizona?

I wonder if they're flooding other markets with their spots like they are in L.A.?

I remember reading that in intercollegiate athletics, they're jumping to Division I, and they recently opened a brand new basketball arena.

They have a sister school in Riverside, California Baptist. Will we soon be flooded with Cal Baptist spots?

I can't answer your question as to why they are advertising in El A but that has been going on here for several years now. They are like the vein clinics and personal injury lawyers who are on multiple times per hour during morning shows and in the afternoons.

The three state universities in AZ just announced another annual tuition increase so perhaps they are trying to attract those students who are sensitive to that kind of financial burden. Or perhaps they are trying to attract those students who are partial to the religious aspects. They do mention their "Christian" education but don't over emphasize it in their ads.

GCU joined the NCAA Western Athletic Conference six months ago...they are the first for-profit college to join a Division 1 NCAA Conference. About the same time, they spent $6.4 million for 15 more acres of land in Phoenix for expansion. Obviously, they want bodies.

michael hagerty said:
GCU joined the NCAA Western Athletic Conference six months ago...they are the first for-profit college to join a Division 1 NCAA Conference. About the same time, they spent $6.4 million for 15 more acres of land in Phoenix for expansion. Obviously, they want bodies.

And if I'm correct, they just hired former Suns great Dan Majerle as the head coach of their men's basketball team. He's still largely popular in the Valley of the Sun, even long after his playing days, and it's pretty obvious that they're using his name for recognition.

When I first heard about GCU, I thought it was another University of Phoenix or DeVry-type of school.

I live in Phoenix, so I was surprised to see the GCU spot on KTLA during a recent visit. I had to stop and make sure I was still visiting L.A. and hadn't woke up in Phoenix by mistake. They are trying to expand and are in the process of building another dorm which can be seen from the little city owned park next to their property.

I'm just happy my daughter made it through the University scene before the prices got so friggin' high. ;-)

Wish I could say the same for my daaughter...still 3 1/2 years out. Needless to say, no majoring in Journalism/CommStudies without a stronger 2nd major. And probably no dorms, either...looks like we're stuck with her, she with us till she's 22.

Grand Canyon is becoming very aggressive in recruitment and advertising. One of their other big centerpieces is their new 6,000-seat arena.

Makes sense that they're going across the Southwest with their TV spots, then.

GCU also has a significant online presence and these adds may have the effect of raising awareness for GCU online. They have been a brick-and-mortar school for many decades.

This would be analagous to Pepperdine establishing a major online degree presence while still expanding their Malibu campus.

GCU is a Christian university, but haven't been affiliated with the Baptist church for a number of years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom