• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Good Karma dumps Nielsen

Nobody's being singled out. Your mods are volunteers, several of us are dealing with health issues, and whether it's obvious or not, we're taking a bunch of steps to keep this site functioning as smoothly as possible after Frank's death, which includes addressing user behavior that causes us needless work.

This applies to everyone: if you're not a moderator, don't try to moderate on the boards. Use the report function. That's what it's there for.

Your mods are volunteers, several of us are dealing with health issues, and whether it's obvious or not, we're taking a bunch of steps to keep this site functioning as smoothly as possible after Frank's death, which includes addressing user behavior that causes us needless work.
I get that Scott - and hats off to you all for volunteering your time and doing this as a "labor of love". I once saw you months ago post a comment before you were a moderator saying they couldn't pay you enough to be one, but here you are and you've jumped in and have been great. It's not an easy gig and I've actually sent a few of the moderators compliments when I saw them "thread the needle" at times between trying to let a particular talk thread go to a reasonable point, but also trying to bump the conversation back into play or prohibit it from becoming too heated. That said, calling out one particular user, me in this case, for doing something others do somewhat frequently also isn't exactly fair, either. Almost like the school teacher who has a classroom of kids acting up, yet they pick out one and make an example of just them in front of the class. Not really cool.

I get that Scott - and hats off to you all for volunteering your time and doing this as a "labor of love". I once saw you months ago post a comment before you were a moderator saying they couldn't pay you enough to be one, but here you are and you've jumped in and have been great. It's not an easy gig and I've actually sent a few of the moderators compliments when I saw them "thread the needle" at times between trying to let a particular talk thread go to a reasonable point, but also trying to bump the conversation back into play or prohibit it from becoming too heated. That said, calling out one particular user, me in this case, for doing something others do somewhat frequently also isn't exactly fair, either. Almost like the school teacher who has a classroom of kids acting up, yet they pick out one and make an example of just them in front of the class. Not really cool.
I agree. I've also done what you did many times and never thought I was violating any unwritten rules. I don't recall ever being called out, either. I think you deserve an apology.

We try to be fair, but when we find that a subject goes over the line, one of us jumps in. You have to realize than none of us has the time to read every single post, so some that merit moderation are not noticed. Your post WAS noticed and acted on.

Comments like yours make me want to say F--- the whole thing and let the site die.

I could not be more upset with you and this whole thing.

Last edited:
I agree. I've also done what you did many times and never thought I was violating any unwritten rules. I don't recall ever being called out, either. I think you deserve an apology.
You are about to lose the lead moderator... and at present, I hold the keys to the kingdom. Enough. If anything, the moderators deserve both thanks and apologies for putting up with this crap.

I don't like calling users out. I think it's bad form in general.

In this case, however, what you don't know is that Mikey then started to abuse the "report to moderator" function to complain about other posts that he thought should have been treated the same way his was.

If you think we as moderators were annoyed before, try us now.

The rule is this: if you are not a moderator, leave moderation to those who are. If you see something problematic, do NOT call it out yourself in a post. That's what the report button is for.

This should not be a complicated rule. Our goal as moderators is to make sure the boards you read are full of interesting broadcast-related content that's relevant to the topic at the top of the page. Meta-discussion about the site itself doesn't meet that description. It just clogs up the site and causes us headaches that none of us want. I'm not going to apologize for enforcing that policy.

Assuming David doesn't just shut the whole site down at this point, we're not interested in any further discussion or complaints about the matter. Is enforcement going to be as perfect as you might like it to be? Probably not. As he said, he can't be everywhere and see everything, which is why the "report" button is there.

Want to get back to talking about radio? Cool, so do we. Want to keep beating this dead horse? Bye.

The rule is this: if you are not a moderator, leave moderation to those who are. If you see something problematic, do NOT call it out yourself in a post. That's what the report button is for.
This response should be considered the "official policy" here and preserved for at least the length of time the average Tik-Tok spends on that site each year!

In the near half-decade that I have been co-moderator here this recent incident is the first one I have taken personally, as it negates the work of Scott, Lance, Michi, Cyberdad and Huff as well as my own.

Personally, if I ever calm down, it will take a while. 😣

In attempting to go back on topic ... ^^'
In other words, their Nielsens suck.
WKNR hasn't subscribed to the Arbitron/Nielsen ratings since the late 2000s, and they don't need to. Craig Karamzin has always been sales-oriented and sports formats naturally bill well, regardless of ratings. It's kinda a given that 92.3 outdraws WKNR simply by being an FM vs. AM battle, but WKNR has been trying to push their digital platforms for content sharing and impressions. (Nevermind that both stations have the Browns rights in a unique arrangement.) It's a business model that's worked for him for awhile.

The Nielsen cancellation applied to the former Disney-owned ESPN outlets and to the Milwaukee stations Good Karma bought from Scripps in 2018, all of which had pre-existing contracts. It makes practical and economical sense not to be paying for a service you don't need.

WKNR hasn't subscribed to the Arbitron/Nielsen ratings since the late 2000s, and they don't need to. Craig Karamzin has always been sales-oriented and sports formats naturally bill well, regardless of ratings.

Sports has a much narrower audience base than most other formats. We know their interests. We know what products they buy, and advertisers for those products know who they want to reach, and the most efficient way to get them. That's why sports radio is so effective.

Sports has a much narrower audience base than most other formats. We know their interests. We know what products they buy, and advertisers for those products know who they want to reach, and the most efficient way to get them. That's why sports radio is so effective.
In addition, there is no spillage of ad dollars going against women for products aimed solely at men. Further, many national brands and services have separate budgets for "sports marketing" that are different from their ad budgets, meaning there is money there that only sports stations or stations with play-by-play can approach.

In addition, there is no spillage of ad dollars going against women for products aimed solely at men. Further, many national brands and services have separate budgets for "sports marketing" that are different from their ad budgets, meaning there is money there that only sports stations or stations with play-by-play can approach.
Yes, very true. Sports stations like WFAN in New York are money machines, even though they don't have big ratings.

Back
Top Bottom