• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Good E-Skip Day June 2022

E-Skip season is here
Even happening this evening as of 10pm

Just heard country music from KNDY 95.5 from Marysville KS playing over the air from Inman SC (above Spartanburg) and got it recorded as well.

Kinda faint but here it is:

Also on there fainter was WHPE from High Point NC as well

Heard other faint but decent signals on 94.9 and 96.1 (U2 was playing) as well (strong enough to overtake WHQC for a few seconds at a time)

94.9 was playing Christian Contemporary music (maybe KJLT) and a few other channels making their way as well, keep checking the dial!

EDIT: Checked again this time on 98.3, instead of the WSPG translator I heard clearly but briefly "My Country" which I'm sure is KQZQ in Kiowa / Medicine Lodge, Kansas as well.
Fun time for checking DX stations indeed :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking WHPE might have been tropo rather than E skip. High Point and Inman are only 150 or so miles apart by highway, less than that as the crow flies.

Yes absolutely for WHPE since its also one of the closest stations on that frequency.

Kinda strong and unusual to still have E-Skip after dark but I know its stronger in the evening.

Also getting strong tropo from the Augusta GA area tonight as well

EDIT:
I'm using a Brand New Etón Elite Field Radio
Very great reception for the money and value, highly recommend!

Last edited:
Yes absolutely for WHPE since its also one of the closest stations on that frequency.

Kinda strong and unusual to still have E-Skip after dark but I know its stronger in the evening.

Also getting strong tropo from the Augusta GA area tonight as well

EDIT:
I'm using a Brand New Etón Elite Field Radio
Very great reception for the money and value, highly recommend!
It's been a fantastic E-Skip day in many places. In East Tennessee I had Spanish covering one of my semi-locals on 104.9, and a few unidentified stations in the non-comm band (I recognized a couple of black conservative commentators from previous openings to Texas). Here's Bob Hawkins' auto-logger, including double-hop to Guatemala from Edinburgh IN. https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/fm_one_tuner_map/16

Should've named this thread E-Skip and DX, not just for E-Skip, some tropo this morning.

WNKT 107.5 Eastover / St Matthews SC
and also 106.7 WTCB coming in loud and clear from Gaffney SC this morning, been awhile since I've heard them up here.

Also getting WLTR 91.3 Columbia strong enough to not have interference from adjacent WYFG 91.1 only a few miles away.

Last edited:
Good E-Skip again, this time from Woodruff SC, heard a commercial on 92.1 with area code 832, mentioning Houston, and then some Gospel music. Pretty sure its KROI Praise 92.1 from the Houston area. Loving the DX and E-Skip lately :)

I was getting what sounded like a top 40 station on 99.5 cutting in to Awesome 99.5 at the 85/385 interchange. Not sure what it was. It cut in clearly but I don’t think it could overcome the Greenville 99.5 signal.

I was getting what sounded like a top 40 station on 99.5 cutting in to Awesome 99.5 at the 85/385 interchange. Not sure what it was. It cut in clearly but I don’t think it could overcome the Greenville 99.5 signal.
Could have been someone's bluetooth

Could have been someone's bluetooth
Most often the case if a strong signal suddenly emerges then disappears as quickly as it arrived. There are still many overpowered stand-alone Sirius and XM units out there that can be heard easily across a parking lot. I've read that the companies (still separate) hoodwinked the feds by submitting lower-powered FM modulators for type acceptance, then putting the full-power units into production once approval was granted.

Another strong hit this evening.
Checking 88.5 in Gaffney SC.
I heard "The House FM, Oklahoma City Metro"
I believe this one to be KZTH Piedmont OK,
about 1000 miles away :)

Note: I've heard this station before visiting the Wichita Kansas area a few years ago, where they simulcast on 89.7 in Ponca City (KJTH) and also a translator on 100.1 FM in South Wichita.

Last edited:
Checking 92.1 near Cowpens SC
Clearly heard calls announced "KFXI" from Marlow, Southwest Oklahoma.
Playing Country Music.
Came in for a few seconds on Interstate 85 south going towards Spartanburg.

Also heard an Air1 station on 91.9
which was likely either KXRI (Amarillo TX)
or KSRD (St Joseph MO).

Last edited:
Nice, just caught WHLA La Crosse 90.3 part of Wisconsin Public Radio, checking from Inman SC

Also just found 92.1 WMEQ (Classic Rock 92.1)
Eau Claire Wisconsin as well :)

Last edited:
Add 95.5 The Coyote (KY-OAT) (not KY-OATEE)
KWEY Weatherford Oklahoma to the list for today :)

And just got 91.3 KNCT "Simply Beautiful"
from Killeen Texas,
strong enough to show RDS on my radio!
Listening from Inman SC.
screenshot_20220612-200114.png

Last edited:
Just heard KYFS 90.9 which is a BBN station (from San Antonio TX) right next to 91.1 WYFG both reached my radio at the same time playing the same thing.

And even better, clear and recorded 98.1 KVET from Austin TX, 1100 miles away, which overtook the usual 98.1 WHZT 60 miles away.

Last edited:
Add 91.3 KUWS from the Duluth MN area (Superior WI) another Wisconsin Public Radio station this evening!

Also just found "Spirit 92.9"
That is KKJM in Saint Cloud, Minnesota :)

And "Big Country 100.1"
Believe that's KOLV in Minnesota.
Shortly after that
"100.1 The Eagle"
KJBI from Pierre SD

0612222111_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
Even more to report!
KNWC Life 96.5 from Sioux Falls SD with RDS
(Coming in well over 96.5 WOXL)
And
KKZY 95.5 from Bemidji Minnesota
And
KORN Country 92.1 from Mitchell SD

Last edited:
Lots of Strong Tropo today
Getting some distant stations, from Inman SC.
95.5 WIBZ Sumter SC
95.9 WMXZ Isle Of Palms / Charleston SC
96.5 WFLB Bob FM Fayetteville NC
96.7 WLTY Cayce Columbia SC
104.3 WBBQ Augusta GA
105.1 WGFJ Cross Hill SC
106.7 WTCB Orangeburg SC
107.1 WRHM Lancaster SC

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom