• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

going to moscow

reman

Inactive
Inactive User
how good is radio there? i have no clue. AM has how many stations? FM has how many stations? what are the major formats? what is moscow talk radio like? any english language programs? do i need russian hardware? please help this uninformed traveler.

> how good is radio there? i have no clue. AM has how many
> stations? FM has how many stations? what are the major
> formats? what is moscow talk radio like? any english
> language programs? do i need russian hardware? please help
> this uninformed traveler.
>
Moscow radio is pretty diverse as far as I know. Plenty of AC and Top 40 stations, several Dance and Rock stations, and Oldies and Russian-Pop channels.

If you're going to Moscow in the next 2-3 months your primary concern should be to carry a good winter coat with you ;) The weather in Moscow is comparable with that of Anchorage, Alaska.

> how good is radio there? i have no clue. AM has how many
> stations? FM has how many stations? what are the major
> formats? what is moscow talk radio like? any english
> language programs? do i need russian hardware? please help
> this uninformed traveler.

I have no idea how good radio is in Moscow, but I do know there are lots of stations, probably as many as a major US city. Moscow talk radio is probably in Russian... since I don't understand Russian, can't really say much about that ;)

You don't need specifically Russian hardware, but you do need a Europe-compatible radio. There are three issues:

1) Can you tune it to an FM frequency ending in an even number (e.g. 94.2)? If not, it'll be not a lot of use outside the Americas.
2) Can you switch it to stepping through the AM frequencies in 9kHz instead of 10kHz steps (i.e. 630, 639, 648 instead of 630, 640, 650)? There may be a switch on the back or inside the battery compartment.
3) It'll also need to be a reasonable quality. In most European countries, including Russia, stations are closer spaced than is normal in the USA.

If all of these are OK, you're in luck. You should be able to use your radio to receive the majority of stations on both FM and AM when travelling anywhere in Europe, although there are a couple of limitations.

A) The stereo may sound a bit odd since the system used is slightly different.
B) You won't get long wave (153-279AM). Virtually no stations are on long wave only any more, though, so that shouldn't be a major issue.
C) You may be missing the bottom of the band. There's a station in Moscow on 87.5 FM.
D) Most European stations use RDS, a system which displays the station name on the screen. Even if you have a similar feature on a US-made radio, it won't work because the system used is a little different.

There's also a second FM band in Russia - the old Soviet one. It's 66-74MHz and you need a Russian radio to receive it. In Moscow, all stations on 66-74 also have outlets on either normal FM or AM, but that's not the case outside the major cities.

I checked and there are three stations which may broadcast some programmes in English available in Moscow, all on AM:

810 Voice of America
1260 BBC World Service
1440 Radio France Internationale

hey, thanx

thank you, thank you. i appreciate the lessons. you guys know your stuff. i will report in upon my return.

> > how good is radio there? i have no clue. AM has how many
> > stations? FM has how many stations? what are the major
> > formats? what is moscow talk radio like? any english
> > language programs? do i need russian hardware? please help
>
> > this uninformed traveler.
> >
> Moscow radio is pretty diverse as far as I know. Plenty of
> AC and Top 40 stations, several Dance and Rock stations, and
> Oldies and Russian-Pop channels.
>
> If you're going to Moscow in the next 2-3 months your
> primary concern should be to carry a good winter coat with
> you ;) The weather in Moscow is comparable with that of
> Anchorage, Alaska.
>

Re: hey, thanx

Do you know any Russian? You might want to check out some simple courses at your nearest bookstore. I recommend Pimsleur.

For radio stations, I found an informative site <a target="_blank" href=http://www.infoservices.com/stpete/747.htm>here</a>.<P ID="signature">______________
здравствулте!</P>

Re: hey, thanx

> Do you know any Russian? You might want to check out some
> simple courses at your nearest bookstore. I recommend
> Pimsleur.
>
> For radio stations, I found an informative site here.
>

A very well updated Moscow radio page is here : http://aaalex.boom.ru/radio.html

However, you may spot if you click that link that there is a small but important problem with this site... the translating machine at http://babelfish.altavista.com may help. Slightly. The mistranslated names and descriptions of the available stations are hilarious.

The description of Avtoradio (90.3) is my favourite "Banal shovel formulation of ether" - I think we can take it that the author isn't a fan of that one, then.

> I checked and there are three stations which may broadcast
> some programmes in English available in Moscow, all on AM:
>
> 810 Voice of America
> 1260 BBC World Service
> 1440 Radio France Internationale
>

How conveniant, the digits add up to nine but they end in zero.
The following dozen medium wave frequencies are compatible with all AM radios:
540 630 720 810 900 990 1080 1170 1260 1350 1440 1530 and maybe 1620 (unsure about that last one). High powered stations are almost always towards the lower frequencies in Europe, Africa, and Asia.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

> How conveniant, the digits add up to nine but they end in
> zero.
> The following dozen medium wave frequencies are compatible
> with all AM radios:
> 540 630 720 810 900 990 1080 1170 1260 1350 1440 1530 and
> maybe 1620 (unsure about that last one). High powered
> stations are almost always towards the lower frequencies in
> Europe, Africa, and Asia.
>

Typically, even if the AM station is broadcasting on another frequency, say, 675 or 981 or anything that does not end in zero, tuning to the nearest tunable frequency on an American-tuned AM station can still get the station...e.g. 675 should be heard fairly well on 670 or 680, 981 on 980, etc.

>
> Typically, even if the AM station is broadcasting on another
> frequency, say, 675 or 981 or anything that does not end in
> zero, tuning to the nearest tunable frequency on an
> American-tuned AM station can still get the station
>

The farther of the station is off tuned, up to 5KHz, the more selective the radio is, and the weaker the signal is, the worse the station will sound.
I would not listen to a station I could not tune in properly.
I think you meant an American-tuned reciever.
<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
______________</P>

> >
> > Typically, even if the AM station is broadcasting on
> another
> > frequency, say, 675 or 981 or anything that does not end
> in
> > zero, tuning to the nearest tunable frequency on an
> > American-tuned AM station can still get the station
> >
>
> The farther of the station is off tuned, up to 5KHz, the
> more selective the radio is, and the weaker the signal is,
> the worse the station will sound.
> I would not listen to a station I could not tune in
> properly.
> I think you meant an American-tuned reciever.
>
Yes, that's what I meant. And sometimes, the station will still sound good if it has a strong enough signal even 10KHz away. I once travelled in Europe with a cheapie American-made walkman that only tuned in 10KHz intervals and I had no problem getting many stations off-frequency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom