• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

George Harris

Sad to hear of the passing of my old KING colleague George Harris. George kicked ass on the street in Portland and Seattle, but is best known in the industry for a two-decade stint at KCBS in San Francisco. Here's a bit of the station's bio:

KCBS Reporter George Harris began his broadcasting career in 1975 at KYXI Radio in Portland, Oregon which was his hometown. In 1978 Harris left KTXI for KGW which was the number one station in Portland. Locating to Seattle, Harris was hired at KING. Radio where he became News Director in 1986, also working as a weekend General Assignment Reporter.
In 1987 Harris moved to San Francisco starting his career at KCBS Radio working as a Reporter/Anchor, and in 1996 becoming the primary reporter working out of the Santa Clara County Bureau in San Jose.
Highlights of Harris’ career include coverage of the Mt. St. Helens explosion, the Loma Prieta Earthquake, the East Bay Hills Fire and the riots in South Central Los Angeles.

George was married to Delilah Rene back in the 80's. And here's my most fun fact: I introduced them.

Wow...just two days ago J. Erickson had posted on FB that George was not in great health. We also lost Frank Thompson last Saturday ... Frank pre-dates Rich by a couple decades, most notably around here on KJR and in more recent years up in BC. Both men were a credit to the radio news (and other) professions and will be remembered fondly.

Two true professionals. George Harris may have been the best street reporter in the northwest during his many years in Portland and Seattle, and he truly made his mark at KCBS. Those who worked with him and knew him loved him. A true loss.

As for Frank Thompson: if you were in Seattle in the early 70s and listened to KJR, his voice and delivery were unmistakable. His style perfectly complimented the format.

LITTLEBOYBLUE said:
We also lost Frank Thompson last Saturday ... Frank pre-dates Rich by a couple decades

I apologize. I had Rich on the mind from his post ... and meant to say Frank pre-dates GEORGE by a couple decades.

Farewell to a friend from long ago. I know you spirit will grace us all.

George was a nice guy, great to hang with ;-) I never worked with George, but knew him through Delilah (whom I worked with at the time). George and Delilah had a son, whom turned out to be quite the awesome gentleman himself. I remember George's work at KING, he was top notch at what he did, for sure!

Much love and prayers to George, and his family.

Sorry to hear about both - George and Frank. I never knew or worked with George Harris - but I did know and work with Frank in Southern California and at KJR. Both were gteat radio voices. May they rest in peace.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom