• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gauging if there's interest in a "pin-up" calendar of vintage VHF-TV antennas

Gauging if there's interest in a "pin-up" calendar of vintage VHF-TV antennas

(This is a repost in case people don't frequent the RadioTV Classifieds section)

Here in Cañon City CO, we have a protected bowl that's surrounds our downtown area where severe wind gusts aren't a big issue. Nor is ice or snow anywhere in the valley. We're comparable to Albuquerque winters...pretty light weight.

There are a number of rare old birds that are still on rooftops. The one below, a Finco "Bedspring" is gone, claimed after a roofing project:
971fbbb7.jpg.html

or: http://s241.photobucket.com/user/rgj...fbbb7.jpg.html

Thus the calendar idea for 2017, akin to Scott Fybush's Tower Site Calendar, except mine would be a one-time only. I have a number of antenna pics from the area in much higher resolution than the Flickr image I posted years ago.

If you're interested, just do a quick reply comment..thanks

Last edited:
I could only view one of the pictures. That site was not navigating for some reason.

It's a cool idea. I think you should include some of the old set-top rabbit ears from back in the day.
Some of those were of very interesting design.

I understand there are still homes in Britain that have VHF-TV antennas attached to the roofs.
VHF has not been used for broadcast TV in the UK since 1985!

Actually, there was just the one sample picture in that link, but it does indicate that it's part of a collection, so I understand the confusion. I'll try to get a link that will allow view of the full series of six or so images.

I understand there are still homes in Britain that have VHF-TV antennas attached to the roofs.
VHF has not been used for broadcast TV in the UK since 1985!

Yes, although these are obviously getting rarer with each passing year (and each autumn gale!)

Some goodies here http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/aerialphotography/ancient/index.shtml

Although VHF transmissions did continue until 1985, UHF TV was the norm from the 70s onwards. So any VHF installation is likely to be at least 40 years old, possibly older.

By the end hardly anyone was left watching VHF as it only provided 2 black and white channels (BBC 1 and ITV), compared with the 4 colour channels on UHF. I sometimes wonder why the VHF channels weren't converted to colour and given to new operators to give us 6 channels in total, but the BBC and ITV were happy with their cosy situation and lack of competiton and they seem to have managed to block it.

Not until the late 80s did satellites provide the British with a decent choice of TV channels, and then only with a huge white dish. There are a few of those still on UK homes as well......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom