• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Garth Brooks & TuneIn Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country star Garth Brooks is partnering with streaming radio service TuneIn for a group of new curated radio stations he calls the Sevens Radio Network.

Interesting that Garth's channels will be among 100,000 other stations on TuneIn. Talk about the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Country star Garth Brooks is partnering with streaming radio service TuneIn for a group of new curated radio stations he calls the Sevens Radio Network.

Interesting that Garth's channels will be among 100,000 other stations on TuneIn. Talk about the proverbial needle in a haystack.
Especially when Garth had a more visible platform on SiriusXM and chose to end that channel on his own.

Garth Brooks, by his decision to opt out of Spotify and other streaming platforms, has made himself irrelevant to most.

On the other hand, exclusive deals like this are probably more lucrative.

Especially when Garth had a more visible platform on SiriusXM and chose to end that channel on his own.
SiriusXM only reaches about 10 percent of the U.S. population, and they are all either paying for the service or on a limited-time promotional deal. On the other hand, anyone with an internet connection can use TuneIn for free. Satellite subscribers have a tendency to inflate the significance of the portion of the audio entertainment universe satellite radio occupies. Compared to the whales that are FM radio and internet streaming, SiriusXM is a minnow. Garth doesn't need SiriusXM, and, as he's explained many times, his issue with streaming services other than Amazon is that they don't generate the physical sales of his catalog product that Amazon does. After all, Amazon concentrated on sales of books, then recordings, from the start. Spotify and Pandora have always been focused on letting customers hear their favorite songs over and over and over at little or no cost.

One thing Garth didn't like about Sirius: It's behind a paywall. He believes in free radio.

If that's the case, then why did he have his own SiriusXM channel for many years?

That sounds so contradictory then. He belives in free radio, yet, puts his own channel through a paywall. Like, huh?

If that's the case, then why did he have his own SiriusXM channel for many years?

That sounds so contradictory then. He belives in free radio, yet, puts his own channel through a paywall. Like, huh?

He's not a broadcaster, but a musician. He did a deal with Sirius because at the time it made sense. But after a few years, he recognized the limitations of that deal, and walked away from it when the opportunity came. He had other options this time as well, including one with Amazon Music. But like Sirius, it required users to have a subscription. So he took it to TuneIn.

Interesting that you're the one questioning this arrangement in the first place. Where are you going with this?

The snark over "needle in a haystack." Your words, not mine.

But it's factually correct. Garth will have to deal with that if he hopes to have impact.

Certainly his celebrity can be merchandized to get people to sample the channel. But at the end of the day, he's one of 100,000 channels just on that platform, with thousands more on others,

But it's factually correct. Garth will have to deal with that if he hopes to have impact.

Certainly his celebrity can be merchandized to get people to sample the channel. But at the end of the day, he's one of 100,000 channels just on that platform, with thousands more on others,
It just sounds like you want this both ways. Is this really a problem for you?

Some TuneIn channels are locked behind a paywall, including several that carry sports play-by-play, but many are available free, albeit with frequent interruptions for advertising. I assume the latter will be what Garth's channel will be.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm stating facts. No problem stating facts.
It sounds like you do, or at least want to die on a hill over it. It's Garth Brooks. He had hits. He retired. He un-retired. He had a channel on XM. He dropped his XM channel, and got on a more difficult to find platform. Well, ok then.

You're making stuff up. This is a discussion board. I'm discussing an issue in radio. That's what we do here.
What exactly am I making up?

You yourself posted a thread on Garth's channel, and then threw some sarcasm about its platform. OK. He had a channel that reached people on SXM for years, which he ended, for whatever reason. OK. When questioned, all of this turned into some burr in your saddle. OK.

It's Garth Brooks. It will be fine.

That I have a dog in the fight, and that I want to "die on a hill over it." Isn't that what you said?
His initial accusation was that you wanted it both ways. You goaded him into the "dog in the fight" trap, which wasn't really an accusation but an opinion that you SOUNDED like you had a dog in the fight based on your reaction to "both ways."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom