• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FX DX-- North Dakota 103.1 The Raven received in Livingston, Texas

On Saturday June 2, around 9: 20 a.m. while driving north on HWY 59 just south of Livingston, Texas, while on my way to Lake Livingston from Houston, I was scanning the car radio as the East Texas stations start to come in stronger and the Houston stations begin to fade, so sometimes there is something interesting on the radio. (Livingston's community radio station, 96.1, is often interesting). The scan stopped on 103.1 with rock music. I kept scanning around and the radio stopped on 103. 1 again. I was surprised to hear a commerical for the biggest festival of the summer with Def Leppard, Reo Speedwagon, the New Cars, and then I almost lost control of the wheel when I heard that the festival was the Moondance Jam in Walker, Minnesota! No wonder I hadn't heard about that festival! I have family in Park Rapids, Minnesota, about 25 miles from Walker, so I have actually been there though and that was what really shocked me about hearing about Walker Minnesota on the radio-- here in Texas. No one here has ever heard of Walker, Minnesota!

then I heard a commercial for the Jamestown North Dakota Speedway and a commercial for the Valley City North Dakota John Deere Dealership. ID as 103.1 The Raven. Turns out this is KVRX Jamestown/Valley City North Dakota (licensed to Wimbledon, ND). I went into the Lowes in Livingston and the signal was gone when I came out. Too bad--it was coming in like a local for a while there. 1388 road miles from Livingston TX to Wimbledon ND according to Mapquest. (Livingston is about 75 miles NE of Houston in East Texas.)

What unexpected DX from the car radio!

I also had a rock signal (horrible classic rock) on 101.3 that I did not identify that also faded when I returned from the Lowes. I was tempted to stay in the car and listen, but I really had to finish my errands at the hardware store. Too bad.

What do y'all think the conditions were to allow the DX of FM from North Dakota to be received in East Texas?

It happens!

One time, driving through ND, I was getting all of the PHOENIX fms!

I moved to North Carolina from Minnesota years ago, First night there, I picked up KQRS from Minneapolis! I thought it was a sign from God! Then I started getting Nova Scotia stuff, and realized, "nope...just DXing."

The Raven? How'd it sound? I want to see the logo for that station so bad! I have contacted some people via email who works at that cluster but didn't hear back! They have no websites either - if anyone has the logo please send it to me or post here. I want to see it very, very badly.

HoustonListener said:
On Saturday June 2, around 9: 20 a.m. while driving north on HWY 59 just south of Livingston, Texas, while on my way to Lake Livingston from Houston, I was scanning the car radio as the East Texas stations start to come in stronger and the Houston stations begin to fade, so sometimes there is something interesting on the radio. (Livingston's community radio station, 96.1, is often interesting). The scan stopped on 103.1 with rock music. I kept scanning around and the radio stopped on 103. 1 again. I was surprised to hear a commerical for the biggest festival of the summer with Def Leppard, Reo Speedwagon, the New Cars, and then I almost lost control of the wheel when I heard that the festival was the Moondance Jam in Walker, Minnesota! No wonder I hadn't heard about that festival! I have family in Park Rapids, Minnesota, about 25 miles from Walker, so I have actually been there though and that was what really shocked me about hearing about Walker Minnesota on the radio-- here in Texas. No one here has ever heard of Walker, Minnesota!

then I heard a commercial for the Jamestown North Dakota Speedway and a commercial for the Valley City North Dakota John Deere Dealership. ID as 103.1 The Raven. Turns out this is KVRX Jamestown/Valley City North Dakota (licensed to Wimbledon, ND). I went into the Lowes in Livingston and the signal was gone when I came out. Too bad--it was coming in like a local for a while there. 1388 road miles from Livingston TX to Wimbledon ND according to Mapquest. (Livingston is about 75 miles NE of Houston in East Texas.)

What unexpected DX from the car radio!

I also had a rock signal (horrible classic rock) on 101.3 that I did not identify that also faded when I returned from the Lowes. I was tempted to stay in the car and listen, but I really had to finish my errands at the hardware store. Too bad.

What do y'all think the conditions were to allow the DX of FM from North Dakota to be received in East Texas?

Some pretty big hauls. A few years ago I was in NYC and picked up an Oldies station from Idaho on 92.1. A year after that I was picking up some Midwest stations that were all broadcasting tornado EAS alerts. DXing can be so much fun.

I live in Northeast Ohio and back in the mid 70's I was sitting in my very first car I had bought [62 Nova for $25] and picked up some AM stations from out west, the furthest was coming from California!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom