• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fun 107.1

I've been listening to Fun 107.1 a little bit this afternoon.

And while it's not HORRIBLE... 94.3 the Point blows it out of the water in every way.

Musically, Fun is a straightforward Hot AC spinning 2000-Now music. Generally, so is The Point, as that's what Hot AC has evolved into. But the Point's playlist seems to have more movement.

Talent- The Point is hands down the better station. Tom Farinaro (did I spell that right) is on right now, and he is so pukey, he almost sounds like a parody of a radio DJ. Very little personality, just... puking. It's aggravating to listen to. Across the board, the talent on The Point are by far the better talent.

Imaging- Fun sounds.... boring. (Same with their sister station B98.5). The imaging all sounds bland with little punch. It seems like Press doesn't want to throw much money into the imaging of either of those stations.

Just a casual observation. In the vanity ratings, they don't look good, but who knows if they're zeroed in on the target demo or not.

Fun 107.1 admittedly did need some time to get off the ground after finally being given a proper name. However, that's the only thing that has changed after finally getting rid of the anti-branding that it once had, and it's been close to a year now. It's still a by-the-book Hot AC circa 2015 with few (if any) distinctive features and "personalities" that range from boring to irritating. Plain and simple, 94.3 The Point has the history and the superior presentation. If Fun wants to make a dent in its ratings and build a following, it needs to do more than simply play music presented by, quite frankly, off-putting personalities. B 98.5 has a similar issue with personalities that for the most part lack polish, but they're the only in-market Top 40 and at least they have some features that make them stand out, so they have that going for them. But I'm thinking that if things don't turn around quick, it may be time for Press to throw in the towel on Fun and give a different format a try - something gold-based but younger-skewing than The Breeze might be the way to go, perhaps a mix similar to a Jack or Ben-FM but with DJs.

Fun 107.1 admittedly did need some time to get off the ground after finally being given a proper name. However, that's the only thing that has changed after finally getting rid of the anti-branding that it once had, and it's been close to a year now. It's still a by-the-book Hot AC circa 2015 with few (if any) distinctive features and "personalities" that range from boring to irritating. Plain and simple, 94.3 The Point has the history and the superior presentation. If Fun wants to make a dent in its ratings and build a following, it needs to do more than simply play music presented by, quite frankly, off-putting personalities. B 98.5 has a similar issue with personalities that for the most part lack polish, but they're the only in-market Top 40 and at least they have some features that make them stand out, so they have that going for them. But I'm thinking that if things don't turn around quick, it may be time for Press to throw in the towel on Fun and give a different format a try - something gold-based but younger-skewing than The Breeze might be the way to go, perhaps a mix similar to a Jack or Ben-FM but with DJs.

Surprisingly I agree with you, mostly.

I think a Jack-FM type format on the signals might benefit them, but jocks might not, especially with their recent track record with them. As much as I'd like to see jocks employed, Press doesn't seem to know what good ones are anymore.

But anything in the AC/Hot AC/CHR vein is already covered in the market (or from out of market) with Z100, PLJ, Fresh, The Point, WOBM, Lite FM, and B. Get out of the format and go for something else.

Feel free to check out 100.1 WJRZ :)

http://www.wjrz.com/

I've been listening sporadically to WJRZ ever since it relaunched, and find that I've been gravitating to it more and more over time. There's really only four local FM stations I've tuned into lately (two are left of the dial), but this is the one that I've been going back to the most. The variety on this station is unrivaled, and it should be noted that GM understands the importance of a good on-air staff: much has been made of the longevity of the WRAT lineup, and hopefully the same will be true of the group at WJRZ. Everyone is smart, knowledgable, and often quite humorous. The features are all a lot of fun, and I was very pleased to find out about the New Wave Rewind show on Saturdays. Finally, I think WJRZ has the best coverage of local events, and I'm glad to see that you have a segment dedicated to animal adoptions. Keep up the good work, Matt.

Last edited:
Appreciate it Crusher. New Wave Rewind was an awesome debut this past Saturday. Now if more people would get to talking about the station in its own thread...wink wink lol.

Well SoulCrusher when B985 launched you wrote this "As for B98.5, I'm predicting that it will pull about half of the ratings of Hit 106. And that will be an absolute disaster, regardless of how much of the market it covers. Monmouth & Ocean both have more than enough Top 40 stations. If Press can't make money doing something else, my advice to them would be to sell it."
...B985 was a 2.3 this fall 12+ covering half the market. In 2010 you said there was too many top 40s in Monmouth Ocean now you say there's no competition? Tell me what's changed? Other than that little radio station being an absolute beast!

Well SoulCrusher when B985 launched you wrote this "As for B98.5, I'm predicting that it will pull about half of the ratings of Hit 106. And that will be an absolute disaster, regardless of how much of the market it covers. Monmouth & Ocean both have more than enough Top 40 stations. If Press can't make money doing something else, my advice to them would be to sell it."
...B985 was a 2.3 this fall 12+ covering half the market. In 2010 you said there was too many top 40s in Monmouth Ocean now you say there's no competition? Tell me what's changed? Other than that little radio station being an absolute beast!

I wouldn't call a 2.3 anything to be insanely proud of (Even with a small signal.) But it IS telling they're doing better than Fun with 2 signals

Well you're making your own context because that wasn't a statement it was a response to a statement made in 2010. Hit 106 last book 12+ was .8 covering the entire market. The poster SoulCrusher, who I was talking to, said he predicted they wouldn't get half that. It currently has a 2.3 on a stick that doesn't cover half the population. So there's that.

He also said there was too much competition with CHRs in the market in 2010 and now that the station is a 2.3 in 2014 there isn't any competition...my question was and still remains "what has changed" What top 40 left?

And a 2.3 12+ for a top 40 station that covers the market is actually very impressive considering no other music radio station in the market is over a 4 share. Would you like to get into 18-34 #s or an Ocean Count breakdown?

Finally it IS telling....what I'm highlighting here is that in 2010 a very similar statement was made by this poster and he was 100% wrong. New station has been up for less than a year and only time will tell where Fun ends up in the next few books. I just think of you want to go around calling something a failure when it starts you should at least acknowledge when you're wrong...is that fair?

I'm pretty sure I can attest to the fact that Hit 106 was NOT a 0.8 in the last book 12+.

I love when people start quoting " demographic breakdowns" in the ratings on these message boards. All it shows is that you're "in the business" because nobody sees any ratings breakdowns, only the general 12+. Anything else is copyrighted and not for public consumption.

"MP23", make your argument why you think a station is good or bad...but don't go quoting ratings because that's going to get you in hot water by your employer.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom