• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

...from the outside

software

Selector does have this capability (it's just in an older-than-the-hills DOS setting). In fact, Selector has so much ability many programmers never get to it all (along with the limitations, of course).

Does anybody really agree that RCS is a little goofy? They get us all set for the Windows version of Selector back in '95 (when all the hoopla over windows 95's release was going on), then the subsequent Win versions of RCS have been full of bugs, etc. Their last BETA of Selector/Win I tested was a couple of years ago and it sucked--very slow and difficult to navigate. The last BETA of MusicGen I was asked to test not only didn't convert the Selector files correctly, it also did a lot of wierd things to Prophet.

And worst part of it all is that many of us have gone another 10 years using the old-time RCS and the longer we are attached to it the more difficult it is to be weaned away from it. They're goofy and cagey at the same time.
>
> For example, there are probably things I like about MusicGen
> that are also available in other scheduling systems. I like
> being able to set rules for specific music categories and
> have a set of default rules that apply if none of them have
> specific overrides in a category. I know how to do that in
> MusicGen, but I have no idea if that exists in other systems
> or how to do it in those other systems that might have it.
> It would be very tempting to presume other systems are
> inferior unless I had enough experience with the other
> systems to know whether or not they can do the same things,
> and whether easier or harder to do them.
>
> Perhaps a better way to phrase what you are asking would be:
> What features would your ideal system have?
>

Re: my mistake

> and you guys hammer away until you get the last word or pull
> out the "we'll ban you if you don't behave" card.
>
> See- NONE of us is perfect.
>
>
> > Now I remember why you were banned under your old
> username,
> > orlando. You just have to hammer away until you win, even
>
> > when you have no case.
>

LOL, I see what you mean KM.

Re: software

Selector... a big part of me loves 12.53 DOS version., except when it comes to Phantom artist failures and other phantom problems that "just happen mysteriously". For instance, if you use "special" artist seperation, it negates artist seperation. It's clunky, there's no easy way to figure out a lot of stuff.. you just have to know or be taught by some dinosaur (like me). Rotation rules are just too hard to explain to most people and Selector makes it even more difficult to execute.

My favorite scheduler is MusicMaster. I haven't seen the new windows version, but it was soooo easy to work with and on the DOS version had a lot of features that Selector doesn't have like the tempo graphs.

I'd like to see an intuitive program developed

Hard drive recieves song - reads artist, song info, run time and tempo automatically...storing it in the main library. I mean, if Windows media player and Itunes can do it... why can't we? It certainly would cut down on the confusion of "what is a medium tempo song?" when you have PD/MD staff changes.

PD/MD's just input specifics like rotations, category, dayparting...intro time and ending, plus adding the segue tones in an easy to deal with mass edit screen.

...plus to have a music system that works out the exact time with your traffic logs! Now that may be asking too much... sales people ... they're so unpredictable.

Re: software

Selector XV does much of what MusicMaster can, and more. It will even do some of the very things you are asking for: tempo graphs / coding, auto CD recognition and database entry during CD ripping, etc…

R

> Selector... a big part of me loves 12.53 DOS version.,
> except when it comes to Phantom artist failures and other
> phantom problems that "just happen mysteriously". For
> instance, if you use "special" artist seperation, it negates
> artist seperation. It's clunky, there's no easy way to
> figure out a lot of stuff.. you just have to know or be
> taught by some dinosaur (like me). Rotation rules are just
> too hard to explain to most people and Selector makes it
> even more difficult to execute.
>
> My favorite scheduler is MusicMaster. I haven't seen the
> new windows version, but it was soooo easy to work with and
> on the DOS version had a lot of features that Selector
> doesn't have like the tempo graphs.
>
> I'd like to see an intuitive program developed
>
> Hard drive recieves song - reads artist, song info, run time
> and tempo automatically...storing it in the main library. I
> mean, if Windows media player and Itunes can do it... why
> can't we? It certainly would cut down on the confusion of
> "what is a medium tempo song?" when you have PD/MD staff
> changes.
>
> PD/MD's just input specifics like rotations, category,
> dayparting...intro time and ending, plus adding the segue
> tones in an easy to deal with mass edit screen.
>
> ...plus to have a music system that works out the exact time
> with your traffic logs! Now that may be asking too
> much... sales people ... they're so unpredictable.
>

Re: BSI

Personally, I've used BSI's software quite extensively and flawlessly for about three years now. Seems they are mainly geared toward smaller / mid sized markets... but i've worked with systems like scott before, and the BSI reliability has been outstanding.

> I just ran through BSI's offerings. Are they not marketing
> properly or are there some problems with the software?
> Seems they've got the right idea.
> The music scheduling system is pretty cool...and everything
> else you need is right there too.
>

Re: Software

> and Music Gen is a piece of poop. That's why it's free so
> far.
> Of course, RCS's attempts at a Windows version of Selector
> has been a dog since 1995 when they first released it.
> >
> > Prophet has a separate music scheduler, called MusicGen,
> and
> > that part of the system is free of charge.
> >
> > > Prophet/NexGen and Audiovault are both
> > > easy to run, but the reconcilliation process is tedious
> > and neither system schedules music.
>

The new version, MusicGen Pro, is neither free nor "poop" as you eloquently stated.

Wes

> The new version, MusicGen Pro, is neither free nor "poop" as
> you eloquently stated.

FREE POOP?

:D

FREE POOP! FREE POOP! FREE POOP!

(Sorry, I don't know why I did that.)

> > The new version, MusicGen Pro, is neither free nor "poop"
> as
> > you eloquently stated.
>
> FREE POOP?
>
> :D
>
> FREE POOP! FREE POOP! FREE POOP!
>
> (Sorry, I don't know why I did that.)

I don't either, but I'm sorry you did that as well.

(See what you started, orlando?)
<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

potty mouths

oh, s&#t. (sorry)

:eek:} And, that's DEE-troit, as in the rolling-to-our-2nd-title PISTONS!
(isn't it great to have all those Motown acts in the house to perform
between periods. Had the Palace SHAKIN'!)

> > > The new version, MusicGen Pro, is neither free nor
> "poop"
> > as
> > > you eloquently stated.
> >
> > FREE POOP?
> >
> > :D
> >
> > FREE POOP! FREE POOP! FREE POOP!
> >
> > (Sorry, I don't know why I did that.)
>
> I don't either, but I'm sorry you did that as well.
>
> (See what you started, orlando?)
>

Simian is a great little program for the price. I'll take it over Audiovault, Scott Studios or most other systems for running an automated satellite station any day. The problem with Simian is it's actually too flexible at times so you really have to watch the staff to make sure nobody is meddling with it. I wish they would give you the option of not allowing a use to jump ahead in the log with a simple double click. Building clocks is a tedious chore. I use Wordpad and hand type all of my clocks. Pain in the rear to set them up, but once they're built and tweaked they'll run smoothly (unless someone messes with them). You can set this little system up to do just about anything you want it to with a little creativity.. I'm still not sold on its music automation capabilities.. It's best when used for Satellite programming purposes.

Scott Studios is easy for jocks to use on the air and looks cool, but is a pain to program. Heaven forbid you need to make changes to the current days log more than an hour out. Making changes to the log in general (outside of the active log) is a pain. If you use Scott studios, schedule everything in your music scheduling software and don't even mess with their log editing software.

AudioVault is a lot like Scott Studios. Cool to look at and easy to use on the air, but is even more complicated to program.. There's AVSchedule, AVSat, Av this and that.. why they can't make a software suite that works together in one nice package is beyond me.. Same with Scott, if you use AV schedule everything in your music scheduler.. I hate the fact that ALL of your audio cards are contained in one or two servers. So, if you're running a cluster and one of your audio cards goes bad you have to either completely take down or handicap every station in the building to replace that one card.

Prophet is by far my favorite. It's interface is easy to understand, you can lookup songs/spots, etc. and insert them quickly.. plus it's easy as pie to program (wow, you don't have to edit an .ini file to change a setting.. what a concept). Where most other systems have a suite of programs that you have to jump back and forth between, Prophet has packaged all of their programs into one simple to use interface. I've used Prophet on and off since 95 and it's performed every task I've wanted it to over the years..

As for music scheduling.. I don't care what anyone says Selector is hands down the best out there. It may not be as pretty as the others, but if you take the time to learn it and set it up properly it gets the job done better than any other music scheduler. The manual is huge, but well worth studying! I haven't used the new Windows version.

MusicMaster would be my second choice for music scheduling. It's nice to look at and does a good job scheduling (IF you take the time to set it up properly). The new Windows version is really simple to setup and use (MUCH simpler than the older DOS versions) and they will customize it for your station depending on your needs. Be sure to make lots of backups though (which you should do anyway, but much more with MusicMaster), the database has a tendency to lockup in the newer version.

Powergold is nice to look at, but don't try to add more than a few rules or you'll spend two hours massaging your logs. Rules are merely suggestions more times than not. This is by far my least favorite of any of the major music schedulers, although I've used it more than any other.

I guess the bottom line with any software is take the time to learn it and set it up properly from the start. They all have their little quirks and problems, but most of the time you can find a way to overcome them with a little creativity..

> >http://www.bsiusa.com/
>
>
> BSI'S SIMIAN WITH NATURAL LOG IS WORKING WELL FOR OUR TALK
> STATIONS.
>
>
> > http://www.bsiusa.co
>

> As for music scheduling.. I don't care what anyone says
> Selector is hands down the best out there. It may not be as
> pretty as the others, but if you take the time to learn it
> and set it up properly it gets the job done better than any
> other music scheduler. The manual is huge, but well worth
> studying! I haven't used the new Windows version.
>
> MusicMaster would be my second choice for music scheduling.
> It's nice to look at and does a good job scheduling (IF you
> take the time to set it up properly). The new Windows
> version is really simple to setup and use (MUCH simpler than
> the older DOS versions) and they will customize it for your
> station depending on your needs. Be sure to make lots of
> backups though (which you should do anyway, but much more
> with MusicMaster), the database has a tendency to lockup in
> the newer version.
>
> Powergold is nice to look at, but don't try to add more than
> a few rules or you'll spend two hours massaging your logs.
> Rules are merely suggestions more times than not. This is by
> far my least favorite of any of the major music schedulers,
> although I've used it more than any other.

Ever used Prophet's MusicGen? Decent program, once you learn it... and once they get the initial kinks worked out of it ;) Nah, just kidding... Easy to use, can be customized from user to user (as far as shortcut commands... not sure you can do that with Selector).. I like it.<P ID="signature">______________
Aaron Tyler
Afternoons / MD
WVZA / Marion - Carbondale, IL
www.kissfm927.com

Weekends / Swing
KSLZ / St. Louis
WAKZ / Youngstown, OH
</P>

I haven't seen MusicGen yet. I know back in 98 they were talking about actually sitting down and writing a decent music scheduling program to go with their automation system, but I don't think any music scheduler that comes with Prophet is going to be able to hang with Selector.. I may be wrong though, Chip (one of the Prophet Programmers) loved using Selector.. he may have tried to duplicate it as much as possible in MusicGen.

> > As for music scheduling.. I don't care what anyone says
> > Selector is hands down the best out there. It may not be
> as
> > pretty as the others, but if you take the time to learn it
>
> > and set it up properly it gets the job done better than
> any
> > other music scheduler. The manual is huge, but well worth
> > studying! I haven't used the new Windows version.
> >
> > MusicMaster would be my second choice for music
> scheduling.
> > It's nice to look at and does a good job scheduling (IF
> you
> > take the time to set it up properly). The new Windows
> > version is really simple to setup and use (MUCH simpler
> than
> > the older DOS versions) and they will customize it for
> your
> > station depending on your needs. Be sure to make lots of
> > backups though (which you should do anyway, but much more
> > with MusicMaster), the database has a tendency to lockup
> in
> > the newer version.
> >
> > Powergold is nice to look at, but don't try to add more
> than
> > a few rules or you'll spend two hours massaging your logs.
>
> > Rules are merely suggestions more times than not. This is
> by
> > far my least favorite of any of the major music
> schedulers,
> > although I've used it more than any other.
>
>
> Ever used Prophet's MusicGen? Decent program, once you
> learn it... and once they get the initial kinks worked out
> of it ;) Nah, just kidding... Easy to use, can be
> customized from user to user (as far as shortcut commands...
> not sure you can do that with Selector).. I like it.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom