• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Fresh, New, Very LA:" The 2023 Sound of KNX News

During Alex Silverman’s tenure in Philly at KYW radio they switched from weather ( and other content sharing) from KYW-TV (CBS) to WCAU-TV (NBC) so there’s always the possibility of a similar change in LA now that CBS no longer owns KNX.

During Alex Silverman’s tenure in Philly at KYW radio they switched from weather ( and other content sharing) from KYW-TV (CBS) to WCAU-TV (NBC) so there’s always the possibility of a similar change in LA now that CBS no longer owns KNX.
If Fritz Coleman were still at 4, that might mean something. There's no value in a TV weatherperson anymore on a radio newscast.

Bingo...KCBS/KCAL has no recognizable weather talent on staff.
Evelyn Taft is, and for a few years she included this endearing tag line to her KNX reports "where your weekend is always in sight".

And let's remember, boys and girls, that KNX needs 50-year-old listeners more than they need 55-year-old traffic sounders.
But it worked for decades, why remove them? Today's 50 year olds would adapt to them. It's just a horn sound and a good and effective one at that Michael.

Ever watch the Price is Right under Drew Carey? Remember they been after a younger audience since the Bob Barker era. They still use the Range Game tones today. It was first instroduced in 1972.
As the OLD saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. People adapt and with everything going retro these days, that's a bit of a surprise by KNX to do away with something that was known and effective for generations.

KNX also has a contract with the Weather Channel's radio operation for live weather reports as needed. They typically use them only when there is unusual weather in Southern California.

They sound good.

The KCBS/KCAL meteorologists don't.

With the separate ownership between KCBS and KNX, there isn't much need to 'cross-promote' by using KCBS (now KCAL) weather anchors. That department is a revolving door at that station, so it's not like anyone has some long time attachment to these meteorologists. Hopefully when the content agreement is up for renewal, KNX can dump the weather reports while keeping the news report audio.
I don't know what the agreement is today, but we used to get several TV commercials per day around the TV newscasts. That was way more valuable than the weather forecasts, which we tried to do live during the prime hours.

I don't know what the agreement is today, but we used to get several TV commercials per day around the TV newscasts. That was way more valuable than the weather forecasts, which we tried to do live during the prime hours.
I second that thought. Having been part of a major TV network and its local stations, the "big deal" from the affiliation was the "free" spots.

While TV newcasters tended to be made in the Ted Baxter mold, I found a few who actually were bursting at the script to do something free and improvised. Often, they made great vacation hosts or once or twice a week "guests". The most fun was getting them to talk about interesting "inside stories" from a "Big TV Newsroom"... things like when a mouse ran across the anchor desk and the like (we don't call them "rats" as mice are cute and rats spoil our image..).

Every once in a while you'll come across a TV weatherperson who does these radio hits that takes them seriously and makes an effort to sound good.

When Paul Deanno was the AM drive weatherman at KOMO-TV in Seattle, he voiced really high quality weather reports for KOMO-AM (the all news station). He then moved on to KPIX, I don't know if he gave the same effort there for KCBS. At KOMO, he replaced Jim Castillo (who's worked in nearly every big market in the country including LA) who was absolutely atrocious on the radio. Literally zero effort. Deanno was such a contrast.
KCBS/KCAL has no recognizable weather talent on staff. Not sure they even have someone filling the 'chief' position since they let Garth Kemp go. If you're not cross promoting a co-owned station and you're leveraging "name talent" from TV on the radio, you might as well use the Weather Channel, who will brand their reports for your station ("I'm meteorologist Mark Thibedeaux for KNX News Ninety Seven One FM").

In a strange coincidence, weeks after I posted about how Paul Deanno is one of the few TV meterologists who sounds good on radio and takes his radio reports seriously, he has joined KCAL as the 7-10AM meteorologist. I heard one of his reports on KNX today and he still sounds good.

Press release dated 2/13/2023 announcing TM Studios new jingle package for KNX News:
RadioInsight: TM Studios Launches New KNX Jingle Package

KNX News Jingle Package samples: TM Studios Jingle Package - KNX News
LA News Radio Jingle Package samples: TM Studios Jingle Package - LA News Radio Samples

(Some of these may have already been posted earlier in this thread when the original announcement was made.)
Some nice variations in the music package that I haven't heard over the air yet.

Every once in a while you'll come across a TV weatherperson who does these radio hits that takes them seriously and makes an effort to sound good.

When Paul Deanno was the AM drive weatherman at KOMO-TV in Seattle, he voiced really high quality weather reports for KOMO-AM (the all news station). He then moved on to KPIX, I don't know if he gave the same effort there for KCBS. At KOMO, he replaced Jim Castillo (who's worked in nearly every big market in the country including LA) who was absolutely atrocious on the radio. Literally zero effort. Deanno was such a contrast.
KCBS/KCAL has no recognizable weather talent on staff. Not sure they even have someone filling the 'chief' position since they let Garth Kemp go. If you're not cross promoting a co-owned station and you're leveraging "name talent" from TV on the radio, you might as well use the Weather Channel, who will brand their reports for your station ("I'm meteorologist Mark Thibedeaux for KNX News Ninety Seven One FM").
KMan mentioned Paul Deanno's reports on KOMO in Seattle. He's now on KCAL. I hope he'll be heard on KNX in the near future.

I listened to a demo of the new KNX imaging from an article on radioinsight.com

It sounds fresh, modern and newsy without sounding overly hip. I like it. It says news.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom