• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fox Sports Radio 1410... in West Central North Dakota!

I

icebreaker

Just found a new station in the Bismarck area on 1410am, Fox Sports Radio. They carry the Jim Rome Show live everyday, it's really awesome. This station has more of a regional approach, on-air promos say "North Dakota's Sports Alternative", and "North Dakota Attitude", really fun stuff. I'm a sports radio geek, so I listen to both K-FAN and 1410. I can pick this station up pretty good in Minot, and Dickinson. Glad to have a sports alternative here, kinda get bored with the Minneapolis talk on 710. Did a websearch and found a link to their site, good local sports stuff~ http://www.foxsports1410.comAny other North Dakota sports radio geeks on this forum?

icebreaker said:
Just found a new station in the Bismarck area on 1410am, Fox Sports Radio. They carry the Jim Rome Show live everyday, it's really awesome. This station has more of a regional approach, on-air promos say "North Dakota's Sports Alternative", and "North Dakota Attitude", really fun stuff. I'm a sports radio geek, so I listen to both K-FAN and 1410. I can pick this station up pretty good in Minot, and Dickinson. Glad to have a sports alternative here, kinda get bored with the Minneapolis talk on 710. Did a websearch and found a link to their site, good local sports stuff~ http://www.foxsports1410.comAny other North Dakota sports radio geeks on this forum?
It's in Beulah, not Bismarck. You can hardly even hear it in Bis-Man.

...I actually live in Mandan, and get the station great during the day! I cruise he strip daily, and the signal is great? I do agree that the coverage isn't so great at night... so it depends what time of day you listen... who cares anyway, it's a good station!

Re: Fox Sports Radio 1410... in West Central North Dakota! (how can you tell?)

So far, Tapscan shows ZERO cume of this station in the Bismarck-Mandan metro! In fact, it's not even in the top 20 (AQH or cume, take your pick) in zips where it HAS a good signal! (Not good, considering there aren't much more than twenty STATIONS!)

How many diaries are out in the zip codes where the station has a good signal? I can't imagine that Arbitron is putting out more than a couple of diaries in the Beulah/Hazen area. If Mercer County is getting rated in the Bismarck/Mandan market, then I would be willing to bet that the bulk of the diaries were placed in Burliegh and Morton Counties. The rest would be scattered in the outlying areas.

Arbitron numbers are meaningless to the average listener and they're meaningless if you've got good sales people. It's all about delivering programming to the listeners and those listeners spending money with the advertisers. Many of the top billing stations in the country aren't number one in their market, but they consistently deliver customers to their advertisers who in turn pay big bucks. Many religious formatted stations gave up on relying on Arbitron numbers years ago and push the loyalty of their listeners. An example is KURL in Billings, MT

http://www.kurlradio.com/advertise.htm

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

DiamondDave63 said:
How many diaries are out in the zip codes where the station has a good signal? I can't imagine that Arbitron is putting out more than a couple of diaries in the Beulah/Hazen area.

Then try reality. And some three dozen.

As for the KURL parallel, there isn't much of one. Much easier to sell a signal you can HEAR in a market. And KURL has some cume.

I wasn't suggesting Fox Sports sell advertisers on reaching Bismarck-Mandan listeners. But if they can show some listener response in Beulah-Hazen, that should be valuable to at least a few Bismarck area businesses. Stations like KFLN-AM in Baker have for years sold advertising in Glendive, Miles City and Dickinson and while the signal in those towns is ok, the attraction to advertisers is the listeners from Baker, Beach, Wibaux etc. who travel out of town to shop. That's the point I was trying to make.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom