• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 92.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start over with this, But going to add DX/Retro thing

Vallejo, CA

KKDV Walnut Creek, CA

Dayton, NV

KRAT Sparks, NV (Weak)

When I moved to West Sacramento in April 2014 when it was KMJE now KVMX, I moved like 3 times..but stayed in the Sacramento Area

DX/Retro: In th 80's, I never listen to 92.1, But I know It was KKIS in 1987, I listen to KKIS on 990

Tyler, TX:

Our sports outlet KRWR "92.1 The Team" brought to you locally by Paul Gleiser. Retro wise, this was originally the Tyler Rose as KROZ, a country station that had a pretty decent product, that is, until beautiful KNUE went country and sent KROZ into a tangent where it flipped formats almost regularly. Finally settled on classic hits for years, until Gleiser made it the FM side to 600 KTBB. It took on the current calls and formats after 97.5 signed on and became the new home of KTBB-FM.

Once in a blue moon, when KROZ would sign off, I have happened upon then KTSR College Station down in Aggieland, at the time a rock station. There was also a country station near Greenville at 92.1 back then (now VCY's 103.3 KVDT) that could be heard on occasion with KROZ down. It was bought and moved by Disney, in a move that involved a number of frequencies being shuffled. The former frequency for KEMM saw a reallocation to the current Farmersville and signed on as KXEZ.

I have never personally heard KXEZ, here in ETX, at any point in its existence. Have to get up near Quinlan before you can catch a peep from The Possum. It signed on somewhere around 1999 or 2000, replacing the former 92.1 at Commerce.

Good morning...

This is usually overshadowed by WWKA 92.3 in Orlando....

WZZR - West Palm Beach FL - Real Radio 92.1 - Talk is the most likely to appear (also on 101.7 in Vero Beach).

kw - Melbourne FL

East Tennessee: Nothing has been heard or ever will be heard with powerhouse WUOT next door on 91.9, short of them having transmitter maintenance.

Retro/other: Dayton, Ohio was WROU. North of there is a 92.1 that I worked at in one its incarnations. It's WFGF in Wapakoneta, OH. The WROU/WFGF line is around Sidney, OH. When the Wapak station was off overnight in the 70s and 80s, WBST (one-time home of David Letterman at Ball State University) was in frequently in Western Ohio.

Wilmington Delaware

Semi-Local WVLT 'Crusin 92.1' in Vineland NJ. It is the only Oldies station left in the Philly Metro where you can hear 50's and 60's music. It can be heard in New Castle and Kent County. A summer visitor is WLBW in Fenwick Island DE with K-Love programming. It used to be an oldies station and during TROPO it was difficult to figure out which station I was hearing when I heard a Monkees song playing. No issue now. WLBW is weaker than WVLT and its' coverage is limited to SE Sussex County.

Here in Rochester NY, it's all the local translator for talker WYSL 1040 these days.

Before it hit the air, it was then-WSEN-FM (now WOLF-FM) from Syracuse and CKPC-FM from Brantford ON.

East Tennessee: Nothing has been heard or ever will be heard with powerhouse WUOT next door on 91.9, short of them having transmitter maintenance.

Retro/other: Dayton, Ohio was WROU. North of there is a 92.1 that I worked at in one its incarnations. It's WFGF in Wapakoneta, OH. The WROU/WFGF line is around Sidney, OH. When the Wapak station was off overnight in the 70s and 80s, WBST (one-time home of David Letterman at Ball State University) was in frequently in Western Ohio.

Same story for me in greater Columbus, except with country giant WCOL on 92.3.
I remember your 92.1 more as WZOQ, "92 Zoo," purely because of my age, but that's the first station that always comes to mind with this frequency. Driving to western Ohio to work a few weeks ago, it's the same story ... nothing until you cross the Bellefontaine ridge, then 92.1 and most other Lima/western Ohio stations blast right in as soon as you hit the crest right around the 540 exit off 33. About a mile from Campbell Hill, our state's highest point at 1,549 feet.

Clifton, New Jersey

No nearby licensed stations, but I have been able to DX on that frequency.

My tropo catches include the following.
WVLT Vineland, NJ
WLNG Sag Harbor, NY
WLBW Fenwick Island, DE

Denver - KJMN-FM Castle Rock, one of those situations in Denver where we have two full-power FMs 400 kHz apart because they're just far enough away from one other. Se habla español.

Farmington, NM (for the eclipse) - K221DJ //1390 KENN in Farmington. News/talk, couldn't tell how local or tilted toward right-wing viewpoints it was. It is a Fox News affiliate, so that's not a good sign, but Fox News Radio does seem less biased than its TV equivalent. Otherwise, see photos.

Oakland, CA - A very weak KDVV Walnut Creek. We were on the other side of the ridge that separates Alameda and Contra Costa counties. If I walked up to the top, then I could get it. Now simulcasting the South Bay's KBAY country format. Not really something worth walking six blocks (and another 150 feet or so of elevation) for.

Of personal interest - This was the original frequency of the station in my mom's hometown, KTTN in Trenton, MO, before the station moved to 92.3. KTTN has hung in there with reasonably decent local news and sports coverage and has been a well-respected operation in Missouri for decades.

Farmington photos -

farmington-radio-stations.jpgfarmington-radio-bldg.jpg

Central Kentucky:
WBVX Carlisle/Lexington with a very good classic rock format, and a great signal. Transmitter is on the Fayette/Bourbon county line.

Central Kansas:
Occasional reception of KREP/Belleville

North Iowa:
Whenever it would come in, KRUE/Waseca, with a rare pick up of KZLB/Ft. Dodge.

At my location northwest of Chicago, 92.1 is WVTY from, Racine, WI. 2.7kw. Very weak from about 40 mi. to my northeast.

The only 92.1 I've heard in the southwest suburbs of Chicago is the same as Cyberdad, though when Racine came in here thanks to some tropo, it was known as WFNY and listed as 3 kW. Nothing but IBOC from 92.3 in Hammond, Ind., since.

In the Wilkes-Barre area of Northeast PA, it's locally WQFM 92.1, a hot AC station owned by a local newspaper. A few years ago, it played alternative rock known as "Fuzz 92.1" and then later "Alt 92.1". Around November, it switched to X-Mas music, lasting through the holiday itself before returning to its regular format. This frequency in recent years underwent numerous format changes or name changes every two to three years! I betcha they have lower ratings compared to the two most-listened to stations with a similiar format in my area.

Back in the 90's, it was basically an oldies station, but later on added a simulcast on 100.1(covering Lackawanna County and parts of Wayne County) and then a translator on 100.5(covering Scranton). Then around the mid 2000's, switched to the first incarnation of hot AC for a few years before switching back to Oldies, this time as "Cool FM".

A very weak KUMA-FM Pilot Rock OR in Yakima, with classic hits. Gets stronger on I-82 around Granger and further east. It's a full-quieting, local signal in Grandview.

In Ellensburg, it was a mix of three stations depending on where in town - KUMA, CBU-FM1 Victoria (CBC Music) which also makes it strongly going down Manastash Ridge...knife-edge propagation over Mt. Stuart I assume, and K221BI Wenatchee (KWLN, Regional Mexican). None of these 92.1's were very strong, so E-skip is possible in both locations.

According to the logbooks... I have E-skip logged from these stations:
KKCM Thermal CA (Country)
KXBN Cedar City UT (Hot AC)
KJMN Denver CO (Regional Mexican)
KCMT Oro Valley AZ (Regional Mexican)
KZUA Holbrook AZ (Country)
CHMX Regina SK (as an Adult Contemporary station, now a different format)
CITI Winnipeg MB (Rock)
KREP Belleville KS (Country)
KVMX Bakersfield CA (as a country station - now KQKZ, Classic Hits)
KORN-FM Parkston SD (Country)
KCHE-FM Cherokee IA (Classic Hits)
KKDV Walnut Creek CA (as an Adult Contemporary station, now country)
KRDA Clovis CA (Spanish AC)
KLQP Madison MN (Country/Classic Hits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom