• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 89.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
kw - Melbourne FL- 35 miles south of KSC

WLAZ-FM - Kissimmee FL - Pura Palabra - Spanish Cont. Christian - 2023 - most commonly heard

WUFT - Gainesville FL - NPR - News and talk - University of Florida - 2023

WSMR - Sarasota FL - Classical 89.1 - Classical // WUSF-FM HD2 - 2023

and probably due to tropo over the Great Lakes area.....

WEMU - Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor MI - “The Grooveyard” - NPR – Jazz 2006

Denver, CO - Too close to local 89.3 KUVO for anything. It probably doesn't help that KUVO runs HD.

Old location - Oakland, CA - KCEA Atherton, run by a high school, playing music for those who were in high school in the 1940s, in mono.

Old location - Oakland, CA - KCEA Atherton, run by a high school, playing music for those who were in high school in the 1940s, in mono.
Reminds me of the last time I listened to WERB (94.5), from Berlin (CT) High School, back around 10 years ago. The high school kids who got air shifts had to play oldies or classic country,

Wilmington Delaware

Local WXHL Christiana Delaware (Reach FM) with Gospel Music. It is the parent station for numerous Reach FM's around the area. It was one of the first Contemporary Christian Music stations then changed to Gospel Music several years ago. It's signal is limited to Northern New Castle County. WWCJ Cape May NJ makes regular appearances with Classical Music. Sometimes just swinging the antenna around gets you both stations at the same time.

In Wilkes-Barre(NEPA), it's college radio WSFX from Nanticoke. It is owned by the Luzerne County Community College. They also operate a translator on 105.5 broadcasting from the Pnebscot Mountain near Mountain Top. I can get the 105.5 signal clearer than 89.1 even though I'm about five miles away from the college where its main signal is based.

For some of KCEA's music, you need to have attended high school in the 30's to remember it as current. I assume the goal is to dominate the all-important nursing home demo - for whom mono probably makes sense since their hearing is largely shot anyway.

Also, while the formal COL is Atherton, the transmitter is physically in the San Carlos hills, which provides improved HAAT (compared to when their tower was ~10 miles southeast, on the campus of Menlo-Atherton H.S.) and a better signal towards the East Bay. But they still only pump out a paltry 100 watts.

For some of KCEA's music, you need to have attended high school in the 30's to remember it as current. I assume the goal is to dominate the all-important nursing home demo - for whom mono probably makes sense since their hearing is largely shot anyway.

Also, while the formal COL is Atherton, the transmitter is physically in the San Carlos hills, which provides improved HAAT (compared to when their tower was ~10 miles southeast, on the campus of Menlo-Atherton H.S.) and a better signal towards the East Bay. But they still only pump out a paltry 100 watts.
Atherton is one of the richest cities in San Mateo County, surprised they didn’t apply to the FCC to get a more powerful transmitter.

Atherton is one of the richest cities in San Mateo County, surprised they didn’t apply to the FCC to get a more powerful transmitter.
Atherton is one of the richest cities in the country, but the high school is technically in adjacent Menlo Park. However, the license was transferred to the Sequoia High School District some years back, so the station, such as it is, is located in Redwood City.

Your comment about having more power got me diddling around the FCC database for a few minutes. With apologies to everyone who couldn't give a rat's petoot about the SFBA, there's also an 89.1 in Calistoga (KBBF, 420w) and Hollister (K206BQ, 150w). Then there are four 1st adjacents on 88.9 (in Los Gatos, Oakland, Santa Cruz and Sacramento, with that last one, KXPR, pumping out 50Kw), and six on 89.3 (Berkeley, Boulder Creek, Fremont, Moss Beach, Pescadero and San Jose). So little KCEA is very land-locked in their ability to raise their power any further or move to a better height.

Your comment about having more power got me diddling around the FCC database for a few minutes. With apologies to everyone who couldn't give a rat's petoot about the SFBA, there's also an 89.1 in Calistoga (KBBF, 420w) and Hollister (K206BQ, 150w). Then there are four 1st adjacents on 88.9 (in Los Gatos, Oakland, Santa Cruz and Sacramento, with that last one, KXPR, pumping out 50Kw), and six on 89.3 (Berkeley, Boulder Creek, Fremont, Moss Beach, Pescadero and San Jose). So little KCEA is very land-locked in their ability to raise their power any further or move to a better height.
There are a lot of relatively low-power stations in the non-commercial portion of the FM band in the Bay Area. It may be one reason KQED is so dominant: no other non-commercial station other than KPFA can match its coverage...and KPFA is in a world of its own.

There are a lot of relatively low-power stations in the non-commercial portion of the FM band in the Bay Area. It may be one reason KQED is so dominant: no other non-commercial station other than KPFA can match its coverage...and KPFA is in a world of its own.
From where I live, 88.3, 88.7 and 91.3 lack local signals, and both of the first two are in the hash of 88.5 KQED's 110 kilowatts and HD sidebands. Otherwise, with just the bare minimum of antenna tweaking, some station or other can be pulled in on every frequency below 92. But you're right, Mark, KQED has an unfair advantage on ERP and leaves everyone else in the dust. And yes, KPFA is in Looney Tune land most of the time (though I still enjoy their Thursday night music offerings).

Clifton, New Jersey

I have two locals that share time on that frequency. WNYU New York, NY (New York University) broadcasts weekdays 4pm until 1am. WFDU Teaneck, NJ (Fairleigh Dickinson University) broadcasts during all other hours. There is a break between WNYU and WFDU from 12:59am until 1:03am. Depending on propagation, I can get WWFM "The Classical Newtork" Trenton, NJ during the break.

Last Friday 10/6, I heard about a minute of the BBC World Service on WPKT "Connecticut Public Radio" Norwich, CT just before WFDU's sign on due to tropo. I even posted a video of it on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom