• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 88.3

88.3 MHz - WPOZ - Union Park-Orlando FL - Z88.3 "Positive hits" //HD1
HD2: Hot - Positive hits and hip-hop
HD3: G106.3 - Orlando's Gospel Music Station
HD4: "Musica que llena tu vida"

about 50 miles NNE of Melbourne....

kw: Melbourne FL

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago:

WXAV Chicago, the radio voice of St. Xavier U. Covers the southwest side and suburbs. Live hosts most of the time, rock music, SXU sports. A bit over 40 years on the air now, after starting as carrier-current WSXC.

Before it took the air, WDGC Downers Grove (high school district) and WHPK Chicago (U. of Chicago) were the choices. Both WXAV and WDGC run 250 watts. WHPK moved to 88.5 somewhere along the way.

Wilmington Delaware

Normally an open frequency. However at the slightest hint of TROPO Class B WGBZ Ocean City MD comes in well enough to light up my HD radio with a RDS ID. It relays WGTS 91.9 in Washington DC with Contemporary Christian Music. In the past it was WRAU relaying WAMU in DC with NPR programming. Many DC residents vacation along the Delmarva coast. The signal covers all of Southern Delaware on a regular basis and gets as far N as Dover.

Hartland, VT:

Nothing but splatter from classical WNCH Norwich at 88.1.

Meriden, CT:

WLIW-FM, public radio from Southampton, NY, a mix of NPR programs and local talk and music.

88.3 for me here in the far NW suburban area is religion station WFEN from Rockford. Weak but still listenable. 9.5kw with a null in my direction,

Tyler, TX:

A weak KTRG Carthage (near the state line with LA), a repeater of Houston Christian Broadcasters, is the most common here. KAFR Willis (Houston) from American Family Radio pops in often, especially in the mornings.

Denver, CO - Nothing. Colorado Public Radio's incarnation of KVOD is next door at 88.1.

Oakland, CA - Nothing, usually. Superpower KQED-FM is next door at 88.5. KECG from El Cerrito might occasionally make it through but its 60 dBµ barely reaches Berkeley.

Historically - Just before I started volunteering there, the student station at the University of Missouri, KCOU, changed frequencies from 88.3 to 88.1 in order to get a power increase from 10 to 430 watts. This would have been around 1976 or 1977. KCOU had a stroke of luck in that KMOS-TV in Sedalia, Mo. on channel 6 was run as a fairly low-power operation since it was co-owned with KRCG-TV in Jefferson City. The channel 6 signal basically covered Pettis and maybe Saline counties and that was it. The whole point of that arrangement was to keep a third network affiliate on VHF out of the central Missouri market. KMOS-TV eventually was donated to Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg to become a PBS member station (yes, from CBS to PBS); when it finally went full power late in 1979, the Columbia cable system had to run the signal through multiple filters to reduce interference from KCOU. If KMOS had been full-power in 1976, KCOU would never have gotten any kind of power increase or might not even have existed at all.

Nothing around Columbus, Ohio, but this is a sentimental favorite for me. 88.3 is the frequency of my college radio station, WXUT, in Toledo. 100 watts transmitting from the top of 16-story Parks Tower, essentially the middle of campus. I called UT football and women's basketball on the station from 1997-2000 and was sports director from 1998-2000.

Tough one here in Rochester NY, less than a mile from local WRUR 88.5 in HD.

I can sometimes pull WCOU 88.3 Attica through the noise, though.

From my location in Yakima, usually nothing. On the hills, KMLW Moses Lake (Moody) makes it, and further west is KSBC Nile (Spanish Religion).

Many stations heard via E-skip. Including KSDS San Diego (Jazz), KOLB Hartington NE (Catholic Religion) and KYFW Wichita (BBN).

Back
Top Bottom