• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 101.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange County, TX. Mostly KLOL Houston. At times KBON Mamou, LA and WNOE, New Orleans, KONO, San Antonio will pay me a visit.

101.1 is a very popular LPFM and translator frequency. In Knoxville itself, there is long-time fundamentalist LPFM WIAM, In Gatlinburg, and Sevier County, there is Church of Christ WJFS, and just to the west, it's W266AM, translator for WYSH, Clinton. 101.1 was the home of the translator for WJXB, but that has been moved to 107.3. Despite all that I've managed to log W222BW, translator for Smooth Jazz WJZA, Winder, GA, rimshotting Atlanta. Sometimes the powerhouse WSGS, Hazard KY makes it in over everybody.

Retro/other: Dayton, OH. At one time there was a translator for LPFM WSWO on 101.1, ane even when it was on, WIZF, Erlanger KY (Cincinnati market) made it in. With a really good opening, WRIF, Detroit, isn't unheard of, but more often it's WSGS, Hazard, KY. Hazard is frequently into the Global Tuners receiver in Edinburgh, IN.
Lafayette, IN: I caught WIOE, South Whitley IN on a recent visit.

Down NJ's wonderful U.S. 206 en route from NYC to Philly to see the Folks, 101.1 was great fun in the car. Up one of the mild hills, WCBS-FM would be loud. Going down the hills, WEAZ Philly would take over.
W/me living farther inland here now, Philly's 101.1, now WBEB, is the regular. The first ratings after I started working there, WEAZ got a 7.1. I went into the PDs office and asked for a raise, saying I was responsible for that .1

San Jose, South

36 kW KHYL Sacramento V101.1.

FM signals are very sporadic around here in the south bay. Some days, this station is booming in, and others, its nowhere to be found. Also, the time of day / night makes a huge difference. This was one of my very first Sacramento catches, in the yard. For those of you not familiar with the San Francisico bay area, San Jose is to the south, and surrounded by mountains to our east, west, and south facing sides. FM signals from the Sacramento / San Joaquin Valley are extremely hard to get

Northern England: Classic FM, Holme Moss (250,000 watts). National commercial classical music network, receivable on the proverbial piece of wet string - I can see the transmission site from the window of my house. I've heard this signal (and others from the same site) as far as 200 miles south of the transmitter, close to London.

From Cheyenne, WY:
Translator 101.1 K266CC (4 miles away) is strong in my area with 250 watts, but overall it is the weakest of the downtown signals, and has a few holes that the others don't. Eventually they will move to 90.5, and send 20 watts to the southwest, to make the signal even worse.

I will occasionally recieve KOSI's analog signal from Denver (105 miles) via Tropo, however I can recieve their digital signal on top of K266CC quite often, and the other station switching to 90.5 will open up 101.1 for getting KOSI, and E-skip.

I have no records of skip on 101.1.

In the 1960s, WXYZ-FM, now WRIF 101.1 Detroit, was one of the first FM stations I ever heard. It was one of the strongest FM signals in Genesee County in the 1960s, with its Grandfathered 27200 watt ERP and 880 foot HAAT, a little over 42 miles away.

When I put an FM-10 with a rotator on a tripod on the roof of a Colonial, I could put WRIF into a null, and get both WIXX 101.1 Green Bay and WBRN-FM 100.9 Big Rapids on a quite regular basis.

When there was a tropospheric opening across Lake Michigan, I have heard WKQX 101.1 Chicago.

With Sporadic E, I remember hearing WNOE-FM 101.1 New Orleans.

Last edited:
From the southwest suburbs of Chicago: Local WKQX is the only 101.1 on my log. (As WMAQ-FM, WJOI, WNIS, WKQX, WWWN, WIQI and now WKQX again.) 5.7 kW from the top of the John Hancock Center. Former home of Monitor and weekday elevator music on NBC-owned WMAQ-FM when I was growing up.

Northern England: Classic FM, Holme Moss (250,000 watts). National commercial classical music network, receivable on the proverbial piece of wet string - I can see the transmission site from the window of my house. I've heard this signal (and others from the same site) as far as 200 miles south of the transmitter, close to London.
I think Classic FM has an excellent approach to presenting classical music. "Bright and cheerful.". I once followed thr signals on a train journey from Manchester to Edinburgh without missing a beat. On this side of the pond, CFMZ from Toronto (96.3) from Toronto has a similar presentation and a big signal from Toronto'CM tower.

40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago....

101.1 is WKQX from Chicago. One of the better signals from the city. As has been pointed out, the statiom began life as WMAQ-FM and went through a series of call letter changes befor becoming WKQX during or around the early 1980s. IIRC.

Central Kansas:
Visits from KCFX/Harrisonville (KC area) are quite common. Not a local signal, but with some height and antenna positioning, it can be picked up. Other than that, I’ve picked up a weak KFNF/Oberlin. No E-skip to my knowledge.

North Iowa:
Typically a weak KXIA/Marshalltown, though I did receive KRIV/Winona once, albeit also weak.

Central Kentucky:
WSGS Hazard.
Decent signal at around 120 miles out.

A few years ago, WVLK (590) in Lexington put on a translator on 101.1 that interfered with WSGS down into their primary service area. We lost WSGS up here, during that time, but it was causing interference as close as 30-40 miles from Hazard.

Although the translator was only 250 watts, it was mounted high on the WKYT TV tower in eastern Fayette county which would explain the interference issues deep into Eastern Ky.

WSGS is very popular with those folks in the mountains. Local radio at it's best.

Many complaints were lodged with the FCC and WVLK was forced to take down the translator on 101.1
WVLK has since put a translator on 97.3 and uses that in their branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom