• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Female Air Talent in L.A.

(Daryl Lynn):
...big important stations like KMPC, KFI, KHJ, had zero female air talent when I was listening.
Well, let's get to facts.

KMPC hired Kathy Gori in 1972 (Gene Autry's KSFO hired her before that---in 1969). She stayed until 1975, when she went to KIIS.

KFI hired a tremendous female newscaster in the early 1970s---Morgan Williams, who was also Black. Charlie Brill and Mitzi McCall did middays at KFI in 1975.

KHJ was late, but Shana came down from KFRC in San Francisco (where she'd been since 1974) in the fall of '76 and Sally Adams soon followed.

And on FM---Mary Turner joined KMET in 1972 and Raechel Donahue in 1975.

I think that maybe one time, KRLA program director Jim Washburne gave a secretary, Sie Holliday, a Sunday night DJ shift because the station imagined her to have a "sultry" voice, but she did not last very long, and went back to being a secretary.
She lasted maybe 6 weeks?

I'm not sure about Sie's air work during the Top-40 era at KRLA, but during their abortive attempt at MOR in 1975, she did morning drive.

KMPC was hugely successful and would have no need to hire Alene McKinney ( unless she was attractive and was a girlfriend of someone in management).

That's a stunningly disrespectful thing to say, and worse coming from a woman. RKO, which owned CKLW and KHJ, was hugely successful as well (far more so than Gene Autry), so does that also apply to Rosalie Trombley, Betty Brenneman and Shaune McNamara? Or to KSFO's Elma Greer, who was also working for Gene Autry?

By the way, this is Alene McKinney, 12 years after she started working at KMPC and three years before her death:

Alene McKinney.jpg
Alene McKinney was hired by KMPC in 1963 to oversee the second most important element of that radio station---its music. And she was frequently and correctly honored with industry awards for her work, as was Elma Greer, who was in a similar position of authority at KSFO beginning in 1961.

As for Rosalie, Betty and Shaune, they were arguably responsible for the most important element of their radio stations, and all three women were first-rate at their jobs.

Last edited:
I'm sorry ! I can become very sardonic at times, and I need to put [sarcasm /] brackets on comments that I write. I'm sure that Alene McKinney did an excellent job at KMPC. I am writing what I was told when I went to Career Day at my school, and I was the only gal who attended the seminar on "careers in broadcasting". There were about 20 boys, the male speaker, and me. This would be about the mid to late 60's. After the room emptied out, I went up to him and asked if he thought that a female would have a chance to get hired as a DJ. ( My whole life at that time revolved around wanting to leave school and work as a DJ, which I saw as something I had knowledge of and might be able to do)

. His answer was brief and I'm quoting almost verbatim. "Sweetheart, the best chance for gals in broadcasting is to be really attractive and find yourself a boyfriend in radio." That was the sum of his advice. No suggestions on how to make an audition tape, or find an agent, or what classes to take in college, or people in radio who might be interested in mentoring students -- just nothing. I remember that well. So I do apologize.

You mentioned Mary Turner at KMET, and I used to listen to her a lot. She did a fine job, but I did not see her as any kind of a super talent, the way I saw the jocks at the Top 40 AM rockers.

( By the way - and this is off-topic -- when I was hired for my first teaching position in 1978, the principal who sat in the interview, took me aside and said, "Hon, just keep wearing those pretty little dresses, will ya?" The dress I wore to the interview was hemmed at mid-knee, had a high neckline, and was the most conservative one I owned. However, the male principal behaved as if I were wearing a mini-skirt).

I looked up information on Rosalie Trombley at CKLW The Big 8 in Windsor, which said that she was hired as a switchboard operator in 1963 and worked in that job until 1968, when she was promoted to music librarian. That's according to the Michigan Association of Broadcasters. She did not start out as a music director. Here is the link:

Rosalie Trombley

Oops - Sorry for chatting about Rosalie Trombley on the thread about L.A. talent - or for writing my own personal anecdotes. I'm not sure which thread my message should go on, as it's a little of everything.

But if I go too far off topic, then I'll remember to start a brand new thread.

Well, let's get to facts.

KMPC hired Kathy Gori in 1972 (Gene Autry's KSFO hired her before that---in 1969). She stayed until 1975, when she went to KIIS.

KFI hired a tremendous female newscaster in the early 1970s---Morgan Williams, who was also Black. Charlie Brill and Mitzi McCall did middays at KFI in 1975.

KHJ was late, but Shana came down from KFRC in San Francisco (where she'd been since 1974) in the fall of '76 and Sally Adams soon followed.

And on FM---Mary Turner joined KMET in 1972 and Raechel Donahue in 1975.

I'm not sure about Sie's air work during the Top-40 era at KRLA, but during their abortive attempt at MOR in 1975, she did morning drive.

That's a stunningly disrespectful thing to say, and worse coming from a woman. RKO, which owned CKLW and KHJ, was hugely successful as well (far more so than Gene Autry), so does that also apply to Rosalie Trombley, Betty Brenneman and Shaune McNamara? Or to KSFO's Elma Greer, who was also working for Gene Autry?

By the way, this is Alene McKinney, 12 years after she started working at KMPC and three years before her death:

View attachment 3899
Alene McKinney was hired by KMPC in 1963 to oversee the second most important element of that radio station---its music. And she was frequently and correctly honored with industry awards for her work, as was Elma Greer, who was in a similar position of authority at KSFO beginning in 1961.

As for Rosalie, Betty and Shaune, they were arguably responsible for the most important element of their radio stations, and all three women were first-rate at their jobs.
Boy this takes me back. KMPC got me from ksfo their SF station . I started in June of 72, I got the idea at the time that I was the first woman on the air in LA. I got interviewed by all sorts of media when
I started, quite the curiosity . I ‘d been on ksfo doing voices etc since high school. As far as being dressed up I used to do my show in jeans boots and often with my hair in rollers since I was doing cartoon voice overs and commercials during the days, on the air all night. It was grueling . I knew no one in radio when Instarted, I just randomly called KSFO my local station . I was nominated for a Billboard award in ‘73 and was named one of the 10 best djs in LA by the LA Times back in the day. I’ve been a screenwriter working with my husband writing partner since 1980

Boy this takes me back. KMPC got me from ksfo their SF station . I started in June of 72, I got the idea at the time that I was the first woman on the air in LA. I got interviewed by all sorts of media when
I started, quite the curiosity . I ‘d been on ksfo doing voices etc since high school. As far as being dressed up I used to do my show in jeans boots and often with my hair in rollers since I was doing cartoon voice overs and commercials during the days, on the air all night. It was grueling . I knew no one in radio when Instarted, I just randomly called KSFO my local station . I was nominated for a Billboard award in ‘73 and was named one of the 10 best djs in LA by the LA Times back in the day. I’ve been a screenwriter working with my husband writing partner since 1980
Welcome. What an interesting story... let us know more in the future.

Welcome Kathy !! I know who you are, and your work is brilliant ! I really enjoyed listening to you ! Congratulations on all your success. I hope you will share some stories with us, as I know your career must be fascinating. - Daryl🙂
🙂 🙂

Great to have you here, Kathy! There's a marvelous aircheck of you on Terry McGovern's show on KSFO in 1971---some back and forth between the two of you early on and then an old-radio spoof "Nick Dandy, Private DJ". This has been one of my favorites since I heard it:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom