• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC to get tough on property owners over pirate stations.

I really doubt that many landlords are aware of an unlicensed radio station operating on their property.
I'd also bet that most of these pirates are disabled people or minorities who don't stand a chance in Hell of getting a license from the FCC.
A FCC license is available to anyone that plans for it. You have a LPFM window, a non com window, and another commercial window coming up in the next 24 months (estimate). True, there might not be a frequency available in your market, but if you want a station bad enough you can find another location. I know several visually impaired owners who own stations that had a desire and drive to own a station and made it happen.

A FCC license is available to anyone that plans for it. You have a LPFM window, a non com window, and another commercial window coming up in the next 24 months (estimate). True, there might not be a frequency available in your market, but if you want a station bad enough you can find another location. I know several visually impaired owners who own stations that had a desire and drive to own a station and made it happen.
Not everyone can get an LPFM license. You must be a registered nonprofit or religious organization to qualify for a license.
I would love to own an LPFM but I don't want to go through the red tape to create a nonprofit.

Not everyone can get an LPFM license. You must be a registered nonprofit or religious organization to qualify for a license.
I would love to own an LPFM but I don't want to go through the red tape to create a nonprofit.
Frank you can go to your local courthouse and file a non-profit and it doesn't have to be a 501 (c) (3). It is very simple.

Frank you can go to your local courthouse and file a non-profit and it doesn't have to be a 501 (c) (3). It is very simple.
It would be tough to meet the FCC requirements.

To qualify for an LPFM license, you must be:
  • A government or non-profit educational institution, like a public or private school or state or private university
  • A non-profit organization, association or entity with an educational purpose, like a community group, public service or public health organization, disability service provider or faith-based organization
  • A government or non-profit entity providing local public safety or transportation service, like a volunteer fire department, local government or state transportation authority
  • An Indian or Alaska Native tribe, band, nation, pueblo, village or community that will provide non-commercial radio services.

It would be tough to meet the FCC requirements.

Your education purpose could be to preserve local radio, preservation of oldies music, classic country, community group of volunteer broadcasters. As long as the organization is run in accordance with underwriting, fundraising, board guidelines. Many stations are being run in homes or in backyards on the premise on the associations listed. You do have to state you are producing a certain amount of hours of programming locally. That could be recorded or voicetracked. It just has to be local.

Unless someone wants the channel with you or there is a inteference complaint. Chances are you will be awarded the permit.

In some states the requirement is much harder and much more costly. For example, in CA to use one of the standardized online services is going to cost around $300, but if you use a lawyer then the fee might be several thousand... plus annual reports that have to be done and filed.

In some states the requirement is much harder and much more costly. For example, in CA to use one of the standardized online services is going to cost around $300, but if you use a lawyer then the fee might be several thousand... plus annual reports that have to be done and filed.
Far too much trouble. If the process was simple, I would probably apply for a license. All of the paperwork and time required for record-keeping and other such matters make the whole thing less attractive.
The FCC really should permit qualified individuals (both financially and with broadcast experience and with a clean FCC record) to apply for and obtain a license.

There can be many 'educational' purposes: a music appreciation society works. I know several non-profits that registered in Delaware, for example, because you don't have to have a board to file. The FCC has trouble saying no to what a state government approves as a non-profit. Naturally you do have to notify the state where you are operating.

Far too much trouble. If the process was simple, I would probably apply for a license.

If the process was simple, everyone would do it. Getting the license is the easy part. Raising the money, building the station, and keeping it on the air 24/7 is the hard part. And even after you go through all the crap, you have people going on message boards to criticize the station. It never ends.

If the process was simple, everyone would do it. Getting the license is the easy part. Raising the money, building the station, and keeping it on the air 24/7 is the hard part. And even after you go through all the crap, you have people going on message boards to criticize the station. It never ends.
That is the case of any small business. Definition of entrepreneur : one who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of a business. No regrets on my auction FM's. Even if I crash and burn tomorrow it was worth it.

The Queens, NY pirates referenced in this thread failed to do a simple frequency search and were causing harmful interference to local FM stations. The FCC has a duty to shut down harmful interference ASAP.

Yes, it is a problem that so few minorities are licensed and I suspect the FCC will try to create opportunities before long.

It isn't just a case of causing interference. If they were above a very, very low power, the law still considers them a pirate. Stations can report someone on their frequency (and the adjacent ones), but the FCC has a mandate to look for pirates, reported or not. (That's why they asked for more money.)

Yes, it is a problem that so few minorities are licensed and I suspect the FCC will try to create opportunities before long.
Hopefully someone intelligent will be around to discourage minority group members from buying radio stations because, generally speaking, they are a very bad investment.

If such a person wants to be involved with media, there are lots of public corporations they can buy shares in... but even that is inadvisable.

Hopefully someone intelligent will be around to discourage minority group members from buying radio stations because, generally speaking, they are a very bad investment.

If such a person wants to be involved with media, there are lots of public corporations they can buy shares in... but even that is inadvisable.
Ten or twenty years ago a broadcast license might have been desired by minority groups in order to have control over their own content even if it was a bad investment. Today it seems that online options might be at least as effective as broadcast, while allowing less money to be lost.

I have been involved with FCC licensed radio stations for more than 30 years and have never ever bought a license. Every station I ever owned was started from scratch. I helped others get licenses too.
Now, I'm an old guy and the future of traditional broadcasting doesn't look so bright. My life is mostly history. But, what an adventure I've had.

FCC to struggle to find real problems to justify its existence.
Pirates are indeed a "real problem" as their generally cheap equipment will often interfere with other stations, aeronautical bands and other services.

I have been involved with FCC licensed radio stations for more than 30 years and have never ever bought a license. Every station I ever owned was started from scratch.
I only bought my first three licenses... 570, 805 and 590 kHz in Quito. The rest, 7 AMs and about a dozen FMs, were all original grants. The first I bought, though, was a CP for 570 and it was as if it were a brand new license. Built from ground up with home-made transmitter even!

It was actually fun then... even the 2 AM "we're off the air" calls.

I only bought my first three licenses... 570, 805 and 590 kHz in Quito. The rest, 7 AMs and about a dozen FMs, were all original grants. The first I bought, though, was a CP for 570 and it was as if it were a brand new license. Built from ground up with home-made transmitter even!

It was actually fun then... even the 2 AM "we're off the air" calls.
Since 1991 everything I've signed on, owned, or been involved with was part of the 80-90 docket. The two I own now were part of the FCC auction process.

FCC to struggle to find real problems to justify its existence.
The FCC has plenty to do. They just don't have the money or authority to do what needs to be done.
It would be nice if they could shut down pirates as soon as they are discovered, rather than wasting time and money with games.
It would be nice if they could fix interference problems, instead of exchanging letters with Internet "Karen's" for years, while legitimate users are unable to use their spectrum.
It would be nice if people showed some respect for the people who are there to enforce laws fairly and equally. And, it would be nice if there was more respect for everyone, by everyone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom