• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Shuts Down A Florida Pirate

I agree with everyone here, but the really sad part is:

...with so many pirate operations springing up here and there, they apparently really thought they'd get away with it...

And, while we're at it here...how 'bout the "pirate" in (I believe it was) South Carolina, who objected to the FCC's use of the word "pirate" after they shut his illegal station down. His objection was "we're a faith-based operation".

When was breaking the law operating an illegal radio station approved so long as you were broadcasting religion? Was that in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John? I must have missed that passage last time I read the Bible.

Jason Roberts said:
I agree with everyone here, but the really sad part is:

...with so many pirate operations springing up here and there, they apparently really thought they'd get away with it...

And, while we're at it here...how 'bout the "pirate" in (I believe it was) South Carolina, who objected to the FCC's use of the word "pirate" after they shut his illegal station down. His objection was "we're a faith-based operation".

When was breaking the law operating an illegal radio station approved so long as you were broadcasting religion? Was that in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John? I must have missed that passage last time I read the Bible.

It's amazing how people can interpret things anyway they want.

Article said:
reportedly broadcasting information on where to buy drugs.

Thats the WORST PROGRAMMING EVER!!

Why did they think someone wouldnt take action against something like this?

KLSX in Los Angeles was advertising stores where you can buy supplies for growing your own cannabis and Ashley Madison a website that specialized in finding dates for married people. I guess the "moral" of the story is: Advertising illegal activities is not wrong, losing the abiltiy to tax illegal activity is.

oldradiobull said:
KLSX in Los Angeles was advertising stores where you can buy supplies for growing your own cannabis and Ashley Madison a website that specialized in finding dates for married people. I guess the "moral" of the story is: Advertising illegal activities is not wrong, losing the abiltiy to tax illegal activity is.

And I thought that I had heard everything ;D

Not like it's really anything new. I recall over the years reading about drug dealers and prostitutes advertising or talking about their "business" on CB, cordless phones, FRS/GMRS radios and all other sorts of places where somebody might hear. And in many cases it leads to busts.

Maybe it's the tendency to forget it's not private if you can't hear anybody else talking or maybe it's having no real idea how easy it can be to track down a radio signal and so they think it's safe.

Either way, there's obviously no shortage of stupid. Never has been, probably never will be.

:D

Daniel

radioman148 said:
Talking about these subjects on CB radio & advertising them on commercial radio are quite different IMO.

you are correct. but i bet 1 thing, had they not promoted prostitution,drugs ect. and used the signal to actually do some good. they prob. would have lasted alot longer

kd8hho said:
radioman148 said:
Talking about these subjects on CB radio & advertising them on commercial radio are quite different IMO.

you are correct. but i bet 1 thing, had they not promoted prostitution,drugs ect. and used the signal to actually do some good. they prob. would have lasted alot longer

I agree.

Who are we to judge what is advertised and embraced by a community. The stations I listen to advertise Dux beds and Jaguar automobiles, but that does that mean everyone should have to listen to these ads. I think the FCC should allow the listeners in their community vote with their listening and buying habits what should be allowed to be advertised on the radio. Surprising that these ads did air in Florida though...

oldradiobull said:
Who are we to judge what is advertised and embraced by a community. The stations I listen to advertise Dux beds and Jaguar automobiles, but that does that mean everyone should have to listen to these ads. I think the FCC should allow the listeners in their community vote with their listening and buying habits what should be allowed to be advertised on the radio. Surprising that these ads did air in Florida though...

Starting a pirate station is the new way of saying "Hi"

I was never FOR pirate radio. Or agreed with breaking the law that way. Until corporate radio stations started firing off long time classic air talent en masse last December for cheaper syndication and drab programming.....Now I think the only way to get a message through is through civil disobedience this way.

If Rosa Parks just did as she was told and went to the back of the bus, I'd shudder to think where this country would be now. The problem is we have corporate broadcasters who have taken a PRIVLEDGE and twisted it into a RIGHT, based on "profitablility" predictions and not listener demand. That needs to STOP. We, the listeners have the right to better radio than this and if the corporate broadcasters don't want to give it to us, then the people will make it themselves and fill the void.......

oldradiobull said:

Don't you think that selling illegal drugs is out of line on the radio?

radioman148 said:
oldradiobull said:

Don't you think that selling illegal drugs is out of line on the radio?

Is Craigs List out of line for advertising badly needed, sometimes very badly needed services that mainstream advertising mediums do not address? The answer is to open up the marketplace to meet todays consumers tastes and tax the bejesus out of it.

Bongwater said:
oldradiobull said:

If Rosa Parks just did as she was told and went to the back of the bus, I'd shudder to think where this country would be now.

I laugh out loud whenever some politician gets up and speaks in laudatory tones about the 'bravery of Rosa Parks.' The truth is that the government fears civil disobedience and takes whatever measures are necessary to stamp it out. Pirate radio is a prime example of that.

Apparently, there is a movement afoot to introduce a measure in California to create a law similar to the one in Florida. The movers are radio professionals who are fed up with stations like Free Radio Santa Cruz and others broadcasting with seeming impunity. The hitch, as one poster said, is that the Florida law, itself, is on shaky legal ground and so it may be hard to argue passage of a similar law anywhere else.

As far as I know, FRSC isn't stepping anyone else's signal. And as far as I'm concerned, it its a case of FRSC broadcasting on an open channel vs. some godcaster putting a sat-fed translator on that channel, I'll take a local station like FRSC any day.

C5

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom