• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite Classic Hits stations?

In an attempt to bring some positivity to a quiet board for a format that seems to get a decent amount of criticism on this site... what are your favorite Classic Hits stations?

Of the Classic Hits stations I've listened to, my top three would have to be:

KCMO-FM/Kansas City
KLTH/Portland
KONO-FM/San Antonio

In an attempt to bring some positivity to a quiet board for a format that seems to get a decent amount of criticism on this site... what are your favorite Classic Hits stations?

Of the Classic Hits stations I've listened to, my top three would have to be:

KCMO-FM/Kansas City
KLTH/Portland
KONO-FM/San Antonio
KXKL/Denver. Doesn’t matter to me that they’re pitched - I’m so used to it that it’s become second nature. Staff and music scheduling are on point!

‘CBS and WRBQ are honorable mentions.

This is the local classic hits station here on the Vermont/New Hampshire border. They're live in morning and evening drive, automated and jockless the rest of the time, but the main attraction is the music, a deep collection of '60s and '70s hits. Check out the previous songs played (in low-contrast dark orange on black, ugh). Right now, it's showing such songs as the Beatles' "Matchbox," the Sylvers' "Hot Line," Herman's Hermits' "Silhouettes" and Elvis Presley's "Crying in the Chapel."

This is the local classic hits station here on the Vermont/New Hampshire border. They're live in morning and evening drive, automated and jockless the rest of the time, but the main attraction is the music, a deep collection of '60s and '70s hits. Check out the previous songs played (in low-contrast dark orange on black, ugh). Right now, it's showing such songs as the Beatles' "Matchbox," the Sylvers' "Hot Line," Herman's Hermits' "Silhouettes" and Elvis Presley's "Crying in the Chapel."

Id be shocked if a few translators fed by an hd channel are live for 2 shifts a day

I actually like the Westwood One satellite Classic Hits format. It seems to have a wider playlist than many of the large-market stations and I like the unique weekend mix that they offer. Personalities are also decent. KOLW/97.5 in Basin City WA (Tri-Cities) airs this format 'raw' - no local ads, as a placeholder in the Divestiture Trust. So, they also air the songs that most stations cover with local ads, and they are often 'oh wows'.

The other, which has no stream, is KIBG-100.7 in Bigfork MT, serving Polson and Kalispell. This station is also top-notch but has no webstream, unfortunately. The Big 100 morning show is local, business leaders and local people are interviewed, and there are local news updates. Music mix has the common favorites but also plenty of oh wow's. Jefferson Airplane, Elton John, Richard Marx, and a lot more. At least 1-2 '60s songs an hour. It's a treat whenever I visit western Montana.

Here in Yakima, try 106.9/980 "Kruzn KTCR" for a great mix of 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s hits...and they are still on the air going strong!!

Find a local radio networks super hits station, rock based 70s, 80s 90s or classic hits, oldies based 60s, 70s 80s

Id be shocked if a few translators fed by an hd channel are live for 2 shifts a day
They are. The station used to be full power at 93.9, but Great Eastern Radio put its AAA station there a few years ago and pushed the oldies tri-cast to 106.7. Kept the live "Fish and Chips" morning show and elderly "Radio Bob"and his Vinyl Vault in the late afternoon. Bob's been on Upper Valley radio for 50 years, celebrating this week by playing the top 50 songs of 1974 during his show.

For a small-time chain, Great Eastern still does quite a bit of live radio.

WMJI/Cleveland, WGRR/Cincinnati, KLTH/Portland, and WRIT/Milwaukee are among the best I’ve heard recently. KOSF/San Francisco is very good also. IMO iHeart and Cumulus do the best job with classic hits, Audacy’s attempt is quite boring for my tastes. One exception is KEYN/Wichita which still has a more balanced variety of pop and rock and they still use jingles which most Audacy classic hits stations other than CBS-FM have stopped using (which is weird because they don’t mind using them on AC, hot AC, country, etc)

Last edited:
Probably CHBM 97.3 Toronto. They’ve gone a little heavy on the 90’s lately, but I still think this station the best classic hits station around. I could probably do without hearing The Bare Naked Ladies every hour though.

WMJI/Cleveland, WGRR/Cincinnati, KLTH/Portland, and WRIT/Milwaukee are among the best I’ve heard recently. KOSF/San Francisco is very good also. IMO iHeart and Cumulus do the best job with classic hits, Audacy’s attempt is quite boring for my tastes. One exception is KEYN/Wichita which still has a more balanced variety of pop and rock and they still use jingles which most Audacy classic hits stations other than CBS-FM have stopped using (which is weird because they don’t mind using them on AC, hot AC, country, etc).
Some do the Christmas music thing but KLTH never does cause KKCW already does it. I think their program director Micheal LaCrosse uses KLTH for those who want a break from the Christmas tunes or aren't ready for them yet. I think every station you mentioned except for WGRR is owned by iHeartMedia. KOSF doesn't do the Christmas music thing either cause KOIT already does it.

Speaking of 740 on the AM dial, before they have to power down to protect CFZM, WMBG in Williamsburg, VA, plays a pretty good mixture of 80s music during certain dayparts. During afternoon drive I hear a lot of the poppier stuff that used to be on MTV.

There are more ACs than Classic Hits stations that do the Christmas music thing. Many Classic Hits stations that are owned by IHeartMedia don’t do all-Christmas music since there is already a Mainstream AC doing it in the market or even multiple stations doing it in the market.

Back
Top Bottom