• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom Hands In KDND/Sacramento License

frankberry

Administrator
Inactive User
In its first move toward divesting stations since the merger of CBS Radio and Entercom was announced, Entercom has submitted a public filing voluntarily turning in its license to operate Top 40 KDND (107.9 The End)/Sacramento, in order, the company said, "to facilitate the timely FCC approvals for the planned combination with CBS Radio."

Entercom said in its announcement of the CBS Radio deal that it would need to divest about 15 of its 244 stations to meet FCC ownership requirements. In Sacramento, the combined company would have had nine FMs and 2 AMs -- and so KDND has become the first to be relinquished.

See complete coverage of the Entercom/CBS transaction at www.radioink.com.

Wow it will be interesting how many other stations besides KDND will Entercom give up for the CBSRadio/Entercom deal to go through

The article said fifteen, but four of them will be in Sacramento. Here's the list:

For CBS:
KYMX-FM (Mix 96) - 96.1
KNCI (New Country) - 105.1
KZZO (Now 100.5) - 100.5
KSFM - 102.5
KHTK - 1140 AM

For Entercom:
KSEG (The Eagle) - 96.9
KRXQ (98-Rock) - 98.5
KDND (The End) - 107.9
KKDO - 94.7
KUDL (Star FM) - 106.5
KIFM - 1320 AM

To make 5 total FM's, 4 of these would have to be divested. Based on today's news that number is now 3. All of them are great signals, even 94.7 - which is slightly inferior to the rest. More importantly, most of them are seriously good performers in the market. I would not want to be the one deciding what has to go.

Dave B.

I'm also curious as to what happens with this. Will 107.9 go silent until the next filing window? If there ever is one? I've never heard of this sort of thing happening.

Dave B.

Wow it will be interesting how many other stations besides KDND will Entercom give up for the CBSRadio/Entercom deal to go through

No debate at all. They will "give up" zero stations. Any over-cap stations will be sold. If they are not sold prior to the bigger deal being approved, they will go into a blind trust.

The KDND license was tendered to the FCC for cancellation to remove / resolve any issues of character qualifications that could be held against Entercom. By sacrificing the station, they are rather elegantly taking a penalty while at the same time making the whole issue appear to have reached a nolo contendere resolution.

This is definitely a station "suicide", as KDND is not only on the Top 10, but they are also the only Top 40 station in Sacramento, the rest are just mostly Rap (102.5 KSFM & Hot 103.5) or just Hot AC (Now 100.5). This is also a major upset in the Sacramento area and on social media locally, as the station is mostly close in the top of the ratings and most people (although they reminisced for that one "fluid"-gate in the station, they have moved on.

Also, because it's won't on 107.9 soon, it's name "The End" will not make sense to some locals anymore, as it's no longer on the end of the radio, but at 106.5, 7 frequencies away from 107.9

Last edited:
I'll give you that it's definitely a station suicide. It is in the most literal sense of the term.

However, I disagree that the name won't make sense. The End is a brand, and it's been used all over the dial for more than 20 years.

The KDND license was tendered to the FCC for cancellation to remove / resolve any issues of character qualifications that could be held against Entercom. By sacrificing the station, they are rather elegantly taking a penalty while at the same time making the whole issue appear to have reached a nolo contendere resolution.

We'll know more in the next couple of days, but I suspect there will also be a consent decree where both agree Entercom admits no wrongdoing, and the FCC will agree not to prosecute future acquisitions or renewals based on what happened at KDND.

The article said fifteen, but four of them will be in Sacramento. Here's the list:

For CBS:
KYMX-FM (Mix 96) - 96.1
KNCI (New Country) - 105.1
KZZO (Now 100.5) - 100.5
KSFM - 102.5
KHTK - 1140 AM

For Entercom:
KSEG (The Eagle) - 96.9
KRXQ (98-Rock) - 98.5
KDND (The End) - 107.9
KKDO - 94.7
KUDL (Star FM) - 106.5
KIFM - 1320 AM

To make 5 total FM's, 4 of these would have to be divested. Based on today's news that number is now 3. All of them are great signals, even 94.7 - which is slightly inferior to the rest. More importantly, most of them are seriously good performers in the market. I would not want to be the one deciding what has to go.

Dave B.

My guess is KDDO, KZZO and KSFM will be the ones to go.

And it looks like 107.9 is going silent on Monday.

I've heard 107.9 and 106.5 will simulcast until Wednesday to get everyone used to the change, but no word on what happens to 107.9 after that. If it goes off the air for any length of time, I hope a pirate steps in and gives us something good to listen to!

It will go off-air and eventually be put up for auction. If you like DX'ing, you'll have quite-a-bit of space at the top of the dial unless someone signs on a translator there.

Sounds like KSAN-107.7 might get a small audience in the southwest Sacramento suburbs thanks to this. KKLC "K-LOVE" Fall River Mills, and KLLE Fresno "Zona MX" might be possible on 107.9 when KDND goes off.

Sounds like KSAN-107.7 might get a small audience in the southwest Sacramento suburbs thanks to this.

The KSAN 60 dbu does not even reach Pittsburg. It can't and won't get any usable reception in the Sacramento MSA.

KSAN isn't an option anywhere in Sacramento (maybe for some DX'ers) but the average joe won't be listening to KSAN.

As for KDND, who will bid on the license? The 107.9 signal is worth another owner in the market dropping one of their stations to pickup that license. My bets are on iHeart.

JammerDave, any thoughts?

I've heard 107.9 and 106.5 will simulcast until Wednesday to get everyone used to the change, but no word on what happens to 107.9 after that. If it goes off the air for any length of time, I hope a pirate steps in and gives us something good to listen to!

It's my personal opinion that simulcasts aren't as effective as "a loop" meaning, just play an audio file that simply say's "KDND Sacramento (The End) has moved to 106.5 FM". A simulcast assumes people are actively listening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom